Fujikura MCI

tae

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having played recoils and Aerotechs I ultimately went back to aerotech as the ball flight suits me better. Both are excellent as I am sure the MCI are as well. Will give them a try someday.

whats your experience on the profile of recoil vs aero ?

Thanks!

whats your experience on the profile of recoil vs aero ?

Thanks!

i've had both in the 125 flavor and i like the feel of the recoils better. the steelfibers felt great when they were 1/2" over steel standard but when i cut them down to 38" 5iron standard they lost a lot more feel than i expected. the recoils in standard were pretty much perfect. dispersion is every bit as good as my steel shafts and the vibration from slight thin shots is now gone but i still get 90% of my distance. i'm now having my bold wedges shafted with recoil 8iron shafts to match the set. i can't wait!

i've had both in the 125 flavor and i like the feel of the recoils better. the steelfibers felt great when they were 1/2" over steel standard but when i cut them down to 38" 5iron standard they lost a lot more feel than i expected. the recoils in standard were pretty much perfect. dispersion is every bit as good as my steel shafts and the vibration from slight thin shots is now gone but i still get 90% of my distance. i'm now having my bold wedges shafted with recoil 8iron shafts to match the set. i can't wait!

Let us know how the wedges go. Just recently went that route (8I in wedge) with steel and its improved the wedges but I'm loving the MCI's so much I might just go with MCI's in wedges as 8 iron shafts as well.

I haven't hit the Recoils but I'm assuming that since they are much like the MCI's (steel/graphite combined) that they would produce very similar findings. Do you find the Recoils to be very "laser-like"? By that I mean you can just tell that the ball ends up exactly where you struck it even if you stuck it off line the ball will finish right there since the shaft is just exacting. I'm finding these MCI's have even better dispersion than steel. Much, much better. Anyone else seeing this with Aero's, Recoils?

Edited by Blader-X

Can any of you guys compare these shafts with PXi 's? Sounds like they might be a little higher trajectory...? Also, Blader, can you tell me who your fitter "Goodsie" is and where he's located? I'm in S.Cal as well. Thanks so much. --Richard

I have two full sets or is three, but countless drivers, wedges, utes and fairways built by Gary. Every single one has been top-notch. Sure I've got to send them off to Texas but its worth it every time. Even when I've sent him clubs that I thought were marginal, they come back enhanced. Not sure if he uses voodoo, black magic or just regular old-fashioned snake charming but he's got serious skills. It is tough not being right there to talk in person, but if you have some idea of what works for you he can help you out. Very honest and a straight shooter. Just PM from here.

Let us know how the wedges go. Just recently went that route (8I in wedge) with steel and its improved the wedges but I'm loving the MCI's so much I might just go with MCI's in wedges as 8 iron shafts as well.

I haven't hit the Recoils but I'm assuming that since they are much like the MCI's (steel/graphite combined) that they would produce very similar findings. Do you find the Recoils to be very "laser-like"? By that I mean you can just tell that the ball ends up exactly where you struck it even if you stuck it off line the ball will finish right there since the shaft is just exacting. I'm finding these MCI's have even better dispersion than steel. Much, much better. Anyone else seeing this with Aero's, Recoils?

laser like would describe them nicely as i'm finding these to be more accurate than steel. no joke, i almost holed out three 9iron shots today, two on par 3's and one from the fairway.

Actually the Recoils are a pure graphite shaft, according to Rob Ennis at UST..

• 2 weeks later...
I tried ordering a set of MCI 60 but once again they are back ordered in Japan. Our Fuji rep said they are so hot they cannot keep up with demand even though its been out for months!

T,

Did you manage to get the MCI 60? What flex and how do they play? Got a new set of irons I'm looking to shaft ;-) My default now is Quadra 652i SR. If yu have played these Quadras would be great to hear comparative feedback between MCI 60 and 652i.

T,

Flex wise, how would the MCIs play? Would an Sfor the MCI 60 be equivalent to an S in the Quadra 652i or say the NS Pro 750? Just trying to get a gauge of whether to go with an R or S if I decide to try the MCI 60.

As a guide, for the Quadra 652i SR, I play those HARDstepped once and am ok with the flex. Would be ok with them non hardstepped as well. For the Quadra 752i R TIPPED half inch and HARDstepped once, find them a tad soft compared to the 652i SR HARDstepped once. Something in between would be perfect so maybe that's like a 652i SR without any stepping?

The tips of the MCI are stiffer. That said it depends on how you like your irons. It seems you prefer them more stout so a S in the MCI would be the way to go.

The tips of the MCI are stiffer. That said it depends on how you like your irons. It seems you prefer them more stout so a S in the MCI would be the way to go.

For irons yup, it seems that way. BTW, the Protos arrived. They look soooo nice!The progressive cavity is very good. The short irons and PW are blades effectively

For irons yup, it seems that way. BTW, the Protos arrived. They look soooo nice!The progressive cavity is very good. The short irons and PW are blades effectively

Great I am glad Crazy shipped them out to you quickly this time!

Great I am glad Crazy shipped them out to you quickly this time!

I'm looking at them again and I think the last time I looked at a set of new irons and thought "too nice to play them" was when I got my first MG 5001s direct from when they took direct custom orders.

These really look better in the metal than on the net. Just need to decide on shafts now.

God I hope they're not low kick!

• 2 weeks later...

i play ctapers R+, pxi 6.0 currently - thinking of getting the mci 60s or 80s, what flex would be comparable ?

Thanks

i play ctapers R+, pxi 6.0 currently - thinking of getting the mci 60s or 80s, what flex would be comparable ? Thanks

I think the 60 and 80 only come in R and S flex. I play the 60 in S flex in my EGG and it is NOT overly stiff at all. If you play PXi in 6.0, I think you need at least SX flex or X in this and according to fuji site, that is only in MCI 100 or 120. I'm not too sure though but that is what I read on fuji site:

http://www.fujikuragolf.com/irons/mci/

I can share that I tried a friends 80 R and it felt firmer than the 60S.

Looking for a lighter option, so maybe the 80S. Have you tried vs the ust prototype recoils ? These 2 seem to be in the premium range compared to steelfibers / recoil 670s.

wmc: I see you mention a 70g option for the MCI iron shaft. Is this available? (All listings I've seen, including here at TSG, show 60 and 80, but I hadn't seen anything in between.) I'm currently trying the 60 and like the feel and lightness a lot, but was wondering if there was something a touch heavier without going up to 80. Thanks.

wmc: I see you mention a 70g option for the MCI iron shaft. Is this available? (All listings I've seen, including here at TSG, show 60 and 80, but I hadn't seen anything in between.) I'm currently trying the 60 and like the feel and lightness a lot, but was wondering if there was something a touch heavier without going up to 80. Thanks.

Hi,

I think its Japan only for now. Ex japan, I think only 60/80/100 and 120 are offered. IN japan, 50/60/70/80/90/100/120 offered.

I love these shafts more and more each and every time I hit them. Definitely worth a look.

I'm not sold on the new Speeder line but Fujikura really got these right.