A new custom putter

RIduffer

After the joy of the Zen, I decided to get another Slighter putter in a similar fashion. As Petethepilot will tell me, the 8802… But it is a solid copper head and putting the Quadra shaft in it. Hosel should be getting welded to the head to boot.

Very excited for this. Only one more club and i think the '13 bag is done...

This is in process…

post-12474-0-65884600-1358734387.jpg

post-12474-0-01463400-1358734389.jpg

post-12474-0-39294600-1358734390.jpg

oh S that will be butter! i wanted a solid copper putter as well, actually

telurium to be exact had a byron morgan solid TC regret selling the thing.

love the burning patina it will eventually develop into.

hmm couldnt they have welded a copper neck ?

Already liking it already.... I've such a weak spot for 8802 and that copper head is juicy....

He is welding a the neck on, I asked for it to be copper. The question is whether the copper neck will be too soft and affect alignment. He actually bought a new welding machine to weld copper for this build. There's some customer service for ya...

He is welding a the neck on, I asked for it to be copper. The question is whether the copper neck will be too soft and affect alignment. He actually bought a new welding machine to weld copper for this build. There's some customer service for ya...

no it will be ok. i have had RBJ solid candy copper box car putters and byron solid tellurium copper putters. they are ok.

just dont take a full swing with your putter. for putting no problem unless ofcourse you putt like bob sapp.

go full copper or you head will be wasted with a steel or carbon neck.

I beg to differ.... I think a long stainless steel flow neck would look so cool in this copper head !! But that's me....!! If going plumber neck, then yeah copper is fine

Intent is to flow it like the Zen… I have been pushing copper, but he is the expert and need to defer at some point...

Intent is to flow it like the Zen… I have been pushing copper, but he is the expert and need to defer at some point...

most makers will NOT do the copper neck due the welding equipment needed.

your guy already has the equipment. anyway if he says it cant be done then it cant

be done

Physically I know it is possible. It is a question of durability. I am not Tiger, so am not expecting to take my putter out on the tee of 180 yd par 3. But the bag might fall, in an out of the trunk, etc… That is my concern on the neck. I initially proposed a thick copper rod with some bends to it as the neck. Then weld a slightly larger piece of pipe to the end and cram the shaft in…

But that is my over simplification of the problem. I believe he will try for copper first, but might have to go an alternate route… Will find out in the coming months...

Physically I know it is possible. It is a question of durability. I am not Tiger, so am not expecting to take my putter out on the tee of 180 yd par 3. But the bag might fall, in an out of the trunk, etc… That is my concern on the neck. I initially proposed a thick copper rod with some bends to it as the neck. Then weld a slightly larger piece of pipe to the end and cram the shaft in…

But that is my over simplification of the problem. I believe he will try for copper first, but might have to go an alternate route… Will find out in the coming months...

can he make me a damascene zen?

I know someone who can....

I can ask for you if you want...

ok howmuch are these things !

Let me put it this way… Including the Quadra shaft, it is still a little bit less than the Zen cost...

• 2 months later...

So ran into some issues with the copper putter head and while there is research going on related to the best way to make it, had this done instead… Can't wait to start rolling a few with this beauty...

This is the raw material…:

post-12474-0-08593000-1364778684.jpg

post-12474-0-58152300-1364778685.jpg

Became this:

post-12474-0-60996000-1364778749.jpg

post-12474-0-20739800-1364778751.jpg

post-12474-0-78197500-1364778752.jpg

Turned into:

post-12474-0-27678600-1364778734.jpg

post-12474-0-71136300-1364778732.jpg

post-12474-0-64723700-1364778730.jpg

post-12474-0-69517900-1364778728.jpg

And finally became:

post-12474-0-74481500-1364778735.jpg

post-12474-0-32724200-1364778737.jpg

post-12474-0-79075100-1364778738.jpg

post-12474-0-35823300-1364778740.jpg

post-12474-0-28212800-1364778755.jpg

Yup…

Was worried when I first saw the thing chrome plated but polished down is fantastic...

yea. i like that shape putter.

used my yamada razor and epon zen on sat. 9 each plsu 20 mins each on practice green

when u have a smooth stroke going this shape hits em dead eye. distacne control is awsome.

yea. i like that shape putter.

used my yamada razor and epon zen on sat. 9 each plsu 20 mins each on practice green

when u have a smooth stroke going this shape hits em dead eye. distacne control is awsome.

Agreed, I credit the Zen with getting me into this shape putter. Since got the Betti and this one. It is a great shape and have great distance control even on varied green types...

What a unique looking putter with perfect amount of offset! Well done! How does the Damascus steel feel?

I found Tom to be the most responsive and customer driven out of all the US based custom putter makers...

That said, I will always be a TP Mills lover.

This is my 3rd Slighter and agree with him being customer focused and producing great putters… I have not actually hit the putter yet, just got the putter complete photos today. He said it is awesome, what else would he say though. But I have really enjoyed his other creations so am fully expecting it to be tremendous...

I have a copper with copper neck, it's a Bettinardi and was milled one piece from a solid copper block. You do not want to lean on it as it will through off your specs. You can weld a stainless neck on a copper head with a high nickel rod. I'm not a fan of Tom Slighter.

Edited by potuna

The issue arose when bending the neck for the offset. Trying to figure out if there are other options then single block. Would like to keep the shebang copper vs. an SS neck...

Thanks for the info Pete.

Prefer a mid-mallet head shape, but the finish looks stunning Steve. The shaft is the icing on a very nice cake. Interested to know how the shaft plays compared to steel. Keep us posted.

Edited by Ian-500

Prefer a mid-mallet head shape, but the finish looks stunning Steve. The shaft is the icing on a very nice cake. Interested to know how the shaft plays compared to steel. Keep us posted.

Not sure how the graphite putter shaft will play. Thought it would be fun to try.

Can appreciate the different preferences on head shape, I think the putter more than any other club holds to the "different strokes for different folks" rule. So much variability in what works for people.