Re-introducing S-Yard – The Rebirth of a Premium Brand and the T.388 Driver

gocchin

Mine is here in the US hopefully to be delivered Monday.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the fact that so many wheelers-n-dealers like free are picking up this stick. Means a trade with yours truly is just around the corner.

He's consuming brown water tonight, so you might be able to PM an offer on it in about 4 hours...

My T388 was delivered yesterday after it was sent out on the 1st. Couldn't wait for my next game on Thursday so took it out to the range after dinner. It is 10.5 with stock SR shaft. The head is definitely small compared to some modern drivers. I only took along with my Epon ZR460 for comparison since my 2 Ryoma and the Gloire are all at the club. The face feels harder than my Premia or the D1 but not in such a bad way. the sound is not harsh and definitely not tinny like the Kamui Pro. The SR shaft felt a bit firm in the beginning but seems to loosen up a bit after maybe 15 balls. The flight is strong and mid high without ballooning. For sure need to tee the ball lower due to a shallower face than all the drivers I am using. Since it is just a driving range, I cannot compare distance but i think this driver has very good possibility. If you ever play the old Miura 390cc driver, the S Yard is much in the same vein.

Would love to see if the distance can match your Premia or even D1.......

My T388 was delivered yesterday after it was sent out on the 1st. Couldn't wait for my next game on Thursday so took it out to the range after dinner. It is 10.5 with stock SR shaft. The head is definitely small compared to some modern drivers. I only took along with my Epon ZR460 for comparison since my 2 Ryoma and the Gloire are all at the club. The face feels harder than my Premia or the D1 but not in such a bad way. the sound is not harsh and definitely not tinny like the Kamui Pro. The SR shaft felt a bit firm in the beginning but seems to loosen up a bit after maybe 15 balls. The flight is strong and mid high without ballooning. For sure need to tee the ball lower due to a shallower face than all the drivers I am using. Since it is just a driving range, I cannot compare distance but i think this driver has very good possibility. If you ever play the old Miura 390cc driver, the S Yard is much in the same vein.

You still own the 460ZR??

Hang on to it.

I so regret getting rid of mine, Chris does as well and between us we had a few.

Of all the Epon drivers, that is the one actually going up in price lately in the used market.

For me its still the best feeling driver.

Spent some time today with my 10.5, SR flex T388. Waiting to test against Ryoma ST 10.5 with Crazy LY01. Hopefully later this week.

Feel was crisper than Ryoma but still soft and very positive. Shaft was nice and felt smooth. Flight was mid trajectory. Was so accurate. More so than I expected. Not hard to hit at all. Shape reminds me of 09 Yamaha tour but the face is different. Initial review very positive. My ss is 97-99 and the shaft held up. Don't be afraid of a 10.5 with this shaft. It doesn't launch very high.

Edited by bogeydog

Spent some time today with my 10.5, SR flex T388. Waiting to test against Ryoma ST 10.5 with Crazy LY01. Hopefully later this week.

Feel was crisper than Ryoma but still soft and very positive. Shaft was nice and felt smooth. Flight was mid trajectory. Was so accurate. More so than I expected. Not hard to hit at all. Shape reminds me of 09 Yamaha tour but the face is different. Initial review very positive. My ss is 97-99 and the shaft held up. Don't be afraid of a 10.5 with this shaft. It doesn't launch very high.

Great feedback B. The stock shaft is quite nice and alot of the feel is attributed to the higher torque, so those who fit in this shafts swing speed range get a pretty good stock shaft.

Same for me unlike the Ryoma (especially special tuning) which flies too high for my liking, the T.388 is strong.

My ZR460 was probably one of the last produced and my mistake was actually playing it once in awhile and put it in my visitors' bag. This must be my 4th and last ZR. Now shafted with a Bassara Griffin SR. My ss is 90mph at best and would be interesting to see whether the stock s yard SR would fit me.

You still own the 460ZR??

Hang on to it.

I so regret getting rid of mine, Chris does as well and between us we had a few.

Of all the Epon drivers, that is the one actually going up in price lately in the used market.

For me its still the best feeling driver.

still have mine in 9.5* cracking good condition. trade for your crazy?

Got my 9.5 head shafted w/ Diamana X 70.

Played first round today at my club:

-A real penetrating trajectory w/ tons of roll

-Great "bouncy" feel.

-Much better results with smoother swings yet little loss in distance.

I'm starting to understand the intent of this head design... because the trajectory is so penetrating, the wind really does not come into play at all.... but it was on many holes longer then my previous set up ('12 Yam tour head) yet I feel I have the control of a 3 wood.

So far so good...

I think the Diamana X shaft works well in the wind also.

With a 9.5, you could play it in a hurricane.

Edited by bogeydog

Got my 9.5 head shafted w/ Diamana X 70.

Played first round today at my club:

-A real penetrating trajectory w/ tons of roll

-Great "bouncy" feel.

-Much better results with smoother swings yet little loss in distance.

I'm starting to understand the intent of this head design... because the trajectory is so penetrating, the wind really does not come into play at all.... but it was on many holes longer then my previous set up ('12 Yam tour head) yet I feel I have the control of a 3 wood.

So far so good...

damn i keep hearing this . does this apply to all sub 400cc drivers or just this one?

i wonder if s-yard made the same design in a bigger head say 415-420 if results will be the same?

i take it that the bigger the head the longer and more forgiving?

damn i keep hearing this . does this apply to all sub 400cc drivers or just this one?

i wonder if s-yard made the same design in a bigger head say 415-420 if results will be the same?

i take it that the bigger the head the longer and more forgiving?

One of the longest ever for me was the Kamui 420. I always thought the smallish head may have helped speed.

One of the longest ever for me was the Kamui 420. I always thought the smallish head may have helped speed.

i had an epon 380 that was a joy to hit, wasnt the longest but was out there in terms of control and

shot placement. but found it had too much spin and hardly any roll.

I think the Diamana X shaft works well in the wind also.

With a 9.5, you could play it in a hurricane.

Absolutely!

i had an epon 380 that was a joy to hit, wasnt the longest but was out there in terms of control and

shot placement. but found it had too much spin and hardly any roll.

well this head makes the ball roll and roll and roll some more:)

kind of like a tiger woods punch 3 wood...

that being said, if you play primarily on a course with a lot of forced carry, this shouldn't be your first choice.

it works for me because my club is a tight links type course and you can't spray it...

Edited by charge

For me, hitting Lousifer's T.388 with stock GD SR shaft, it ws nice and forgiving for such a small head. Had visibly good enough roll for crappy range balls and thick soggy cow grass in rainy conditions BUT its not longer for ME than the Ryoma D1 or my 435 which were hit side by side on the same day and same conditions.

It's nice but I don't think anyone should expect this or any driver to give you 20 to 30 yards more especially if you are gaming of of the more recent JDM drivers. I got maybe a 10 meter increase in average driving distance when I switched to the Ryoma D1 and maybe another 5 meters with the 435 but that's because I was coming from a 4 to 5 years old Epon Af101 and some will argue with a lesser shaft i the GD DI. I doubt if I'll be able to find another 10 to 15 meters more with any new head in the next couple of years.

If ever new driver really yielded 10 yards more, guys, it'll be like the latest Pro V or TM driver and we all know how all of them should be yielding a mile by now since the annual distance increase claims started LOL.

For me, hitting Lousifer's T.388 with stock GD SR shaft, it ws nice and forgiving for such a small head. Had visibly good enough roll for crappy range balls and thick soggy cow grass in rainy conditions BUT its not longer for ME than the Ryoma D1 or my 435 which were hit side by side on the same day and same conditions.

It's nice but I don't think anyone should expect this or any driver to give you 20 to 30 yards more especially if you are gaming of of the more recent JDM drivers. I got maybe a 10 meter increase in average driving distance when I switched to the Ryoma D1 and maybe another 5 meters with the 435 but that's because I was coming from a 4 to 5 years old Epon Af101 and some will argue with a lesser shaft i the GD DI. I doubt if I'll be able to find another 10 to 15 meters more with any new head in the next couple of years.

If ever new driver really yielded 10 yards more, guys, it'll be like the latest Pro V or TM driver and we all know how all of them should be yielding a mile by now since the annual distance increase claims started LOL.

funny you bring this up. i have an uncle in the 60s. he has been claiming hes been gaining 5 yards here, five yards there sometimes 15 yards and the odd 20 yards.

hes been saying that for years. i reckon his carry distance is probably 1000 yards with a 100 yard draw

The 'smaller' drive heads are plenty big enough.... so many people enjoy and have success with 3 woods of far, far smaller heads. Way smaller than any 380cc driver....

Here's a repeat pic of comparison with a ball of a Yonex 380cc, Adams 9015d at 460cc, and the Mizuno MP611 at 410cc.

One thing that stands out to me if you compare the face of the Mizuno and the S-Yard T388 to most 460cc heads, is how much 'useful' face area there is - no 'wasted' space in the toe and heel... even the Adams has some of that face where you would never ever dream of hitting the ball off. The Yonex by comaprison to the S-Yard or the Miz 611 shown has a noticeably smaller hit area (yet plays just fine)

trio_06_faceballs_zpsb232ff18.jpg

Didn't someone thoeorise what the ideal head size was for maximum clubhead speeds? think it was around the 400c area....

With the continual improvement in designs and materials, the smaller heads of around 400c now, i think can be very close in terms of MOI ie forgiveness on off centre contact - yet have the benefit of looking smaller (less urge to try to flip/force the head closed) and just more pretty.... and a pretty driver is divine.

A lot of the face of those bigger drivers isn't really made for hitting so much as just spread out to imcrease MOI. There is no doubt that the larger sweet spot is going to come from the bigger drivers because of this. I generate more club speed with smaller headed drivers while also seeming to find the center more often even though I don't think I consciously swing any different with them. I think they look better and feel better too.

I've heard many people say, "give me a bigger face and I'll use all of it."

I remember hitting a Power Pod driver a guy brought to the course this summer just for fun. It's a tiny little driver like the size of a golf ball and I could stand there and stripe that thing all day. But give me a 460 head and make me hit a spot that size and there's no way.

Interested in hearing more about this driver as it really is a beauty.

Played 4 rounds and it is just a joy to play. I typically struggle in the desert because of inconsistent driving--not this trip thanks to the SY I only lost one ball to the brown areas.

It looks "normal" at address in terms of size w/ a very solid feel/sound. Flat trajectory with plenty of roll. It did not disappoint in any way. I experienced no loss of distance compared to other drivers and was easy to work. It is firmly in the bag for spring and off to Orlando in a couple weeks for some more work and golf.

Played 4 rounds and it is just a joy to play. I typically struggle in the desert because of inconsistent driving--not this trip thanks to the SY I only lost one ball to the brown areas.

It looks "normal" at address in terms of size w/ a very solid feel/sound. Flat trajectory with plenty of roll. It did not disappoint in any way. I experienced no loss of distance compared to other drivers and was easy to work. It is firmly in the bag for spring and off to Orlando in a couple weeks for some more work and golf.

How high or low did you tee the ball?

A lot of the face of those bigger drivers isn't really made for hitting so much as just spread out to imcrease MOI. There is no doubt that the larger sweet spot is going to come from the bigger drivers because of this. I generate more club speed with smaller headed drivers while also seeming to find the center more often even though I don't think I consciously swing any different with them. I think they look better and feel better too.

I've heard many people say, "give me a bigger face and I'll use all of it."

I remember hitting a Power Pod driver a guy brought to the course this summer just for fun. It's a tiny little driver like the size of a golf ball and I could stand there and stripe that thing all day. But give me a 460 head and make me hit a spot that size and there's no way.

Interested in hearing more about this driver as it really is a beauty.

You can be hitting tomorrow if you want to...

How high or low did you tee the ball?
I would say a full inch off the ground maybe a tinge higher. On shorter, tight holes fraught with danger I teed it like a 3w and it was very effective. From the first shot I knew this driver was special. Edited by yourpressed