Re-introducing S-Yard – The Rebirth of a Premium Brand and the T.388 Driver

gocchin

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you, mine is purely because I ordered a replacement with a custom shaft as opposed to the stock offering. I do not need 2 of the same club and think without re-shafting I would have a hard time controlling it. I ordered the 2nd one because I would rather retain the warranty with the shaft I want by having S-Yard or and authorized builder do the assembly.

Seems like their are a few s yard drivers for sale in the bst and i am starting to wonder if this driver is unforgiving and a bit demanding to hit!

I can't agree with this statement. Very forgiving for this size head. Ryoma can't be matched in this department. Distance they are equal.

I played a match this afternoon on St. Andrews Jubilee course using my T.388 driver. No, not in Scotland... I wish, but on an indoor simulator here in Bozeman, Montana.

I have to say that I am really loving this driver. I think I am as consistent as my AF-102 I have been gaming last season.... well, at least on simulator....

Only slight issue is that when I go after the ball too much, I get a bit too high of a launch angle and lose overall distance by about 20 yards.

When I can keep my swing smooth and in check, I get a nice mid trajectory with lots of roll.

My T.388 is currently shafted with a BB7 S which is working quite well with this head.

Guys, this driver is much more forgiving than the Zero or the Ezone 380 for sure.

It is definitely worth a try if you are looking for a workable driver with more than reasonable forgiveness built into it.

Seems like their are a few s yard drivers for sale in the bst and i am starting to wonder if this driver is unforgiving and a bit demanding to hit!

It's really all relative. Fact of the matter is, this driver probably doesn't present the best opportunity for the average golfer to score well. Owning this driver is akin to owning a set of blades. It's all about appearance at address and impact feel and trajectory/spin. For guys that can hit the center every time and want workability then it would be on par with anything.

Going back to the relativity, you're absolutely correct. People looking for a 1 driver quiver that don't make a living playing golf more often than not are probably better suited to something larger.

This driver sounds very forgiving relative to its size and intended purpose. What it's most likely NOT is forgiving relative to most modern 420-460cc heads we now take for granted.

I personally see this driver as a specialty unit that people who love to collect fine golf clubs might acquire for fun and for nostalgia for the olden days with smaller headed clubs rather than the driver they plan on using every round of the year. It offers a more classic look and size and the fun and tradition factor that most modern clubs can't.

My guess is that guys looking for their every day driver will eventually have the S Yard on BST. Those that hoard these beauties (and countless others) like Stew, Steve, Jeff etc. will keep them and enjoy them for what they really are.

It's really all relative. Fact of the matter is, this driver probably doesn't present the best opportunity for the average golfer to score well. Owning this driver is akin to owning a set of blades. It's all about appearance at address and impact feel and trajectory/spin. For guys that can hit the center every time and want workability then it would be on par with anything.

Going back to the relativity, you're absolutely correct. People looking for a 1 driver quiver that don't make a living playing golf more often than not are probably better suited to something larger.

This driver sounds very forgiving relative to its size and intended purpose. What it's most likely NOT is forgiving relative to most modern 420-460cc heads we now take for granted.

I personally see this driver as a specialty unit that people who love to collect fine golf clubs might acquire for fun and for nostalgia for the olden days with smaller headed clubs rather than the driver they plan on using every round of the year. It offers a more classic look and size and the fun and tradition factor that most modern clubs can't.

My guess is that guys looking for their every day driver will eventually have the S Yard on BST. Those that hoard these beauties (and countless others) like Stew, Steve, Jeff etc. will keep them and enjoy them for what they really are.

With all due respect, this so driver isn't that at all. It is easily an everyday driver. Not demanding at all. It would be mine all day if it wasn't for the Ryoma and Crazy combo.

With all due respect, this so driver isn't that at all. It is easily an everyday driver. Not demanding at all. It would be mine all day if it wasn't for the Ryoma and Crazy combo.

I admit I could be completely wrong on it in that maybe a lot of average or even above average golfers will use it as their every day driver with much success. I can't wait to try it.

However, the fact you're sticking with a 460 cc, ultra forgiving driver just backs up my theory that most guys looking for a single driver will still prefer or score better with a bigger club.

I guess time will tell what the overall impressions and retainer rate is here. I've been really close to buying one several times but I haven't convinced myself that it would be (for me) anything more than a fun curiosity to play occasionally rather than the driver that offers me the best chance to score. I kinda hope I'm wrong.

I admit I could be completely wrong on it in that maybe a lot of average or even above average golfers will use it as their every day driver with much success. I can't wait to try it.

However, the fact you're sticking with a 460 cc, ultra forgiving driver just backs up my theory that most guys looking for a single driver will still prefer or score better with a bigger club.

I guess time will tell what the overall impressions and retainer rate is here. I've been really close to buying one several times but I haven't convinced myself that it would be (for me) anything more than a fun curiosity to play occasionally rather than the driver that offers me the best chance to score. I kinda hope I'm wrong.

I don't think you are wrong in any way here.

The other ambitious thought I have and suspect others may have with smaller headed drivers is that over time and much use, I would naturally see improvement in my striking abilities. I heard that Tommy Nakajima made recommendations to Ryo Ishikawa several years back to use muscle back irons while he is still young. This is when Ryo requested Yonex to produce the Ezone MB's. I guess one could argue that his scoring abilities may have gone south since the switch. I know that I will never come close to becoming a pro in my life, but I still would like to think I can improve my ball striking skills in the coming years. And yes, if I was to enter a local tournament now, I might still choose to use a larger driver that day for the additional confidence.

Edited by nobmontana

Ryoma vs. Syard isn't a fair fight for forgiveness. I knew that going in. However Syard up against anything else, Syard likely will win or put up a good fight. Keep in mind that the Ryoma was build for forgiveness.

First off, I do not consider what I am doing to be hoarding. I am diligently experimenting with different clubs to identify what works best for me. I do not think that you can properly identify if one club is better than another from a couple of buckets or a round or two. While I agree that you might know what doesn't work, you need some time to understand the nuances different clubs bring to the table when they feel right. Which one is more right requires different playing conditions both with the course and the swing.

When playing for money or comps, which I cannot say I do anymore, I would rather play the club I am most familiar with and has the potential for the best output. Simply because it is easier to make adjustments on the fly based on how you are swinging on that given day and for the good days, you will shoot lights out. Going into a match thinking that you need a more forgiving club is partially admitting defeat before you even start the round. The only train of thought that follows the logic implied is: "I know I am going to be a poor ball striker today, so better take the easiest clubs I can"; instead of thinking, "I ain't gonna miss today better bring out the lawn dart launchers"

In the case here, for me, I am expecting the S-Yard to be a more forgiving Zero. As it relates to the rest of the drivers in my quiver, the V-Spec I have is the low man on the totem pole and if pushed to shed something that would be the first one gone. As to smaller heads on a driver, similar to others I prefer the look of a thin top line and little to no offset in an iron, compact drivers instill that same type of confidence for me. So I actively seek out 400cc or smaller heads, or at least those that seem it at address.

Hoarding perhaps was not the word I was looking for. You're a guy that buys and tries and keeps whereas a lot of people buy and try and move on.

I'm a confidence player myself. Probably half my rounds are in league or for money so I play with the clubs I feel give me the best chance to score. I'd like to have the money to keep everything around to play with occasionally but have to settle for what I really love and move other stuff on.

PM me if you ever sell that Ryoma. It's one of the few things I've sold that I sometimes wish I had back.

I will have a Ryoma VSpec 9.5 on the market soon. it has FEx Proto 75X.

Too much club for me.

The sweet spot of the S-Yard is a little larger than that of the Ryomas actually, the ryoma does have a larger face to smack as well as a more stabke less twisting head due to the 60g power booster but this S-Yard is rediculously forgiving for a small head. BogeyDog was right it is easily a daily gamer and can work with all levels. Youll be surprised, get one and hit it first.

Were meetung with Kobayashi-san again in a couple days, any questions for him that we should add to the interview? This mans a genius, created Epon, former president of Endo and has helped many og the biggest names in golf, yes U.S golf for decades. Let me know.

I would like to know what advantages small heads have, I seem to get more overall distance from them, likely due to less spin, and they also feel more like hitting a blade.

I would also like to know how he was able to design such a large sweet spot into a small driver. When you say the sweet spot is larger do you mean it is larger relative to total face area or actually larger? Because that is an incredible feat of engineering if true!

Also, he seems to be a minimalist when it comes to club design, using tried and true techniques and good ol' human engineering vs doing everything with a computer. At least thats the impression I got from the interview/write up a while back. How does his design philosophy differ with other club designers today?

Best driver I have ever tried, very forgiving for its size. the S yard has a penetrating ball flight and seems to fight the wind very easily. Thank you TSGers, definitely my favorite driver to date.

Edited by vanla01

This really got me curious. Everybody is saying this driver is forgiving. Now, are we talking equally as forgiving as other 460cc drivers or forgiving given its size? How about distance? Can someone in the range of 95-100 mph driver ss benefit from such a head?

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by shacco

This really got me curious. Everybody is saying this driver is forgiving. Now, are we talking equally as forgiving as other 460cc drivers or forgiving given its size? How about distance? Can someone in the range of 95-100 mph driver ss benefit from such a head?

I would say the S-yard is more forgiving then my Yamaha V202 driver I previously owned. Distance wise, I would have to say the S-yard is a tad bit longer and feels hotter off the face then the Yamaha.

Yes that is my swing speed. You will be fine. This isn't the Epon Zero. Get one. Pm for any specific questions.

I would say the S-yard is more forgiving then my Yamaha V202 driver I previously owned. Distance wise, I would have to say the S-yard is a tad bit longer and feels hotter off the face then the Yamaha.

I currently own a Yamaha V201 (non tour) and for me it's forgiving enough. So, the t.388 should in theory be more forgiving than my Yamaha? Hmmm... interesting. Now, I just have to sell a liver to be able to fund it.

I currently own a Yamaha V201 (non tour) and for me it's forgiving enough. So, the t.388 should in theory be more forgiving than my Yamaha? Hmmm... interesting. Now, I just have to sell a liver to be able to fund it.

If you like the Yamaha driver, you will have no regret switching to the S yard. The feel is amazing and to my surprise, really forgiving, I highly recommend buying one. :)

We have arranged for custom orders and more tricky orders to be done by Hirose-san, one of Japan's top freelance tour craftsmen. He builds for S-Yard, Taylormade and Tourstage including for Ai Miyazato and Shigeki Maruyama.

Here he is building Steve's (Riduffer) T388 with Diamana X.

post-8383-0-31607400-1361420462.jpg

post-8383-0-85439300-1361420478.jpg

post-8383-0-78309600-1361420492.jpg

post-8383-0-90414600-1361420501.jpg

post-8383-0-46013300-1361420518.jpg

post-8383-0-81927500-1361420529.jpg

I need Steve's job