Just got a Byron GSS

nobmontana

My latest addition of putters .... can't seem to stop!!

Byron Morgan DH89 German Stainless Steel, High Polished Triple Oil Fade finish

First custom made putter I have ever ordered. Came out exactly how I wanted it.

post-14163-0-02261500-1360986347.jpg

post-14163-0-59238100-1360986348.jpg

post-14163-0-98116500-1360986349.jpg

post-14163-0-33482000-1360986351.jpg

You're my hero. She's a beaut. Soft as they say?

How was the overall experience? I hear things both ways.

You're my hero. She's a beaut. Soft as they say?

How was the overall experience? I hear things both ways.

The ordering process was definitely not something I would be crazy about.

Very vague and hard to tell if they got all the information or not.

I was thinking I would get contacted by a rep after submitting my order form , but no contact.

Everything was done thru email by Mr. B himself. ( which was kinda cool )

But after seeing a bunch of his work online, I was intrigued enough to just go with his flow.

I am actually happy that I took the plunge.

As for feel, I would say it is actually slightly firmer than Carbon Steel. but not by a lot. Definitely not "clicky" so to speak.

After getting used to the Kitada putter, I am really liking my putters on the firmer side.

"Soft" definitely feels good in your hands, but I found that I get better feedback and much better distance control with firmer feeling putters.

What is interesting is that even though the impact feels firmer with these stainless steel putters,

I think I am feeling the ball sticking on the face for fraction of a second before it actually starts rolling, similar to what you feel at impact with forged irons.

Anyway, I am really satisfied with how the putter came out. Most of all, it's 1 out of 1 in the whole world! :tsg_smiley_sun:

Byron is a great guy to work with.

Awesome putter.

365g head and 35" length.

Not sure of the balance point now, but I plan to change the shaft with NS Pro Heavy shaft (149g) as with all my other putters.

after reshafting, the overall weight should be around 550g to 560g which is the weight I like.

Sweet putter. I had a dh89 captian morgan. It was so pretty I didnt want to use it on the course, so I solf it. :-(

The ordering process was definitely not something I would be crazy about.

Very vague and hard to tell if they got all the information or not.

I have experienced the same thing. Got like a 4 word reply to my original request for more pictures of a certain head, asked a follow up question because I didn't know what he meant, never heard back.

Few weeks later (about a week or 10 days ago) I went ahead and "built" a putter and sent in an order form. Got contacted right away by Steve but emails are really short and when I asked what the lead time was it took 3 times to get an answer. I would ask, "what is the lead time?" and he would respond, "So are we building the putter?" and finally I said, "Not til you tell me how long it will take to get it to me!" Immediately got a response of "2 months." I have been thinking about it since then, bought the Machine putter because it caught my eye but didn't like it. So I replied to Steve today and told them I am ready to move forward.

Definitely a "different" type of process but their work speaks for itself. It might be sacrilege, but I am actually considering a center shafted GSS DH89 with the dark blue oil flame finish. And some stampings of course. Maybe a DaKine center.

Hope your order works out for you!

I too was worried until I got my putter in my hand.

Mine took only 2 weeks from order to delivery.

Possibly because there was not a lot of modification on mine.

Sound Slot, Tuna milling, Stamps and High Polish Finish.

Show us your putter when you get it! :)

Hope your order works out for you!

I too was worried until I got my putter in my hand.

Mine took only 2 weeks from order to delivery.

Possibly because there was not a lot of modification on mine.

Sound Slot, Tuna milling, Stamps and High Polish Finish.

Show us your putter when you get it! :)

Here is mine:

damn picture won't work will redo later too dark right now

Edited by stevopagolf

Nice!! Stevo. Mystic Pearl finish!

I was actually considering that finish as well.

Very nice!

What does yours say in the cavity? I see the shamrock but can't read the writing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Byron's DH89 template and thinking of sending this through...any thoughts?

Version 1:

post-13927-0-23146500-1361963808.jpg

Edited by gian11

Looks good gian11. I am sure it will turn out magnificent.

I have to admit, I went ahead and ordered a Lajosi because I'm not going to chase someone down at Morgan to answer my emails. A guy on Putter Talk said if you haven't pulled the trigger on Byron yet, give Lajosi a look, so I did and I was really impressed. Lajosi always emailed back within 8-12 hours, answering all questions in detail and I think his work is stunning, so I am going to give him a shot. Price is right too. I am doing a one-off design so he has to write the program for it and draw it up and it was still a few hundred less than a similar Byron.

Wanted a Morgan but very disappointed at the way the ordering process has gone (or not gone). Hopefully mine was an isolated incident and Morgan isn't getting so big that they can't take care of people. I see you're in Oz so I am curious what people have to say about Lajosi since he is from there.

Sorry to hear about that, I will probably do the same thing as you did. But my experience was completely different, they responded well to my inquiries got short answers but good enough for me to understood them. Initially, I hesitated to put together a design concept because I don't know anything about this but after talking with Steve I got encouraged to start working on it he's been helpfull all the way,

I only heard Lajosi here in the forum the project that edgolf did before, I'm based in Sydney so I guess guys in Melboune knew him more. I like his putters though and if he will do all the drawings kinda stuff I prefer that way unlike byron you have to do it yourself, anyway I learned how to use my pre-installed adobe on my laptop lol.

One of the reason I'm leaning with Byron is that they offer GSS metal, I've been eyeing this a long time ago. Do you know if they offer this also the GSS at Lajosi?

Btw, which head and material have you chosen, pretty sure that would be a great build.

Edited by gian11

Version 2:

post-13927-0-39797100-1362013502.jpg

This version is a hand milled ultra deep tuna face milled, naked sole, and a dot sight.

Not sure about the finish but thinking of either a PVD black or a brush blue oil.

Any suggestions on stampings, much appreciated.

Edited by gian11

He doesn't do GSS that I know of, at least he doesn't publicize it. Not saying he couldn't get it though. I did quite a bit of research and even though I am German heritage and really wanted the GSS, I couldn't find a discernable difference, it is mostly just prestige imo.

There is a thread on THP 38 or so pages with TONS of pictures of Lajosi putters which got me to pull the trigger. Some of the inlays he has done are insane, like doing a lizard shaped insert, etc. He even did a lizard shaped insert site line on the top flange, a weld bead site line, etc. I was just impressed with the imagination and skill the guy possesses and he seems to be willing to try pretty much any crazy idea anyone comes up with.

My build is a high toe didge, carbon with copper plating but then with brushed nickel over the top of the copper. I have attached a picture of a high toe Didge in gunmetal finish and the other putters have the same finish I am going with. My putter will end up being like the gunmetal putter, but center shaft, and the finish of the other putter pictured.

I am not trying to change your mind by any means, I just have been thoroughly impressed by Kari and his work, and the price as well.

post-15311-0-95562300-1362013634.jpgpost-15311-0-37809700-1362013820.pngpost-15311-0-56557000-1362013921.jpgpost-15311-0-11288300-1362013997.jpg

That's going to be a stunning putter. I like the head and finish you've choosen - couldn't imagine how good that is to play with.

How long is the waiting period to complete the order?

I have a couple of putters I'm keeping, so I might add a Lajosi as well. What do you think about the Damascus steel?

He said I would have it at latest by beginning of league so around 2nd week of April.

His Damascus stuff is insane...just out of my budget for now.

ill be able to post a cpl more refurbs form lajossi soon.. il wainting patiently for them to return.

hes great to talk to and thinks with you thru ur orders .

im dying to see how his ones stack up agaisnt the "rats" from calif.

sure they all will be sensational.

i did go thru an order with byron 2 weeks ago but they didnt have the material in the shape i wanted, so i kinda went mute.

one day i wll bec my mates is beautifulll!

He said I would have it at latest by beginning of league so around 2nd week of April.

His Damascus stuff is insane...just out of my budget for now.

That's not long, man you will be gaming the best of the best putter in the planet in about 6 weeks?

I see what you mean, I went to THP and he is indeed very creative.

Look at this, a lizard in a premium zone face mill.

post-13927-0-17529300-1362030333.jpg

and a lizard sight

post-13927-0-37864200-1362033861.jpg

Edited by gian11