Oh, My..........S-Yard T.388

RLL33

Although a longtime lover of JDM equipment, I'm new to posting here though I've been a reader for some time. And Tario has guided me through many purchases, all of which I've taken great pleasure in, including a Ryoma D-1 Premia late last year. So it was with great interest that I read his blog posting on the new S-Yard T.388 driver out of Kobayashi-san's studio.

Well, I got mine at the end of last week, and have now had a chance to hit it on the range and play it at my club just yesterday. And the performance is so spectacular that I was moved to offer up this posting.

post-15743-0-19008000-1362069468.jpg

As Tario says, the T.388 is a work of art, and as the perpetual grail for me has always been a search for a driver that I could work like my 3-wood, the design is particularly striking for me. At address, looking down at it, I get the sense of a stealth bomber waiting for take off. The smaller head size and shallower face immediately increased my confidence, not the opposite. And the subtle coloring strikes me as a weapon waiting in shadow. Just my kind of thing.

And then the hit.

No question, I've loved my Premia, and still love it. But I was thinking that better workability might trump my love of the Premia's distance. I did not expect the T.388 to compete on that stat. But, boy, was I wrong... Yes, my first drives were straight pipeline, and the trajectory is, as described, more penetrating than high. But to my surprise, at least for me, the T.388 is not just more accurate, but longer. In fact, way longer! On my club course, there is a Par-5 with a deep ravine crossing the fairway from about 240 to 260 yards out. (Great 100 year old Billy Bell design...) I've carried it twice with the Premia, but with the T.388 yesterday, it was like it wasn't even in play. When you catch it right, the ball literally explodes off the face as if powered by an afterburner.

But I'm a feel kind of player. And what first intrigued me about Tario's article was the description of Characteristic Time (CT) that Kobayashi has zeroed in on. I've heard it described many times, but none better than in Tario's phrase as that "sucking in and flying out" feeling accompanied by a finely tuned sound. THAT'S what I love in a driver. And man, that's what the T.388 has nailed. The feel is like a forged iron -- soft but most powerful when struck smoothly and on plane. And the sound has me looking forward to every hit.

So, accuracy, yes, without a doubt. Even on mis**ts, my experience was like Tario's with the flight staying on line and losing only slightly in distance. BUt the massive distance I was getting was a bonus I didn't expect. It might be my swing, or my preference in feel, but this thing outgunned the Premia by far.

So, thank you, Tario. And I thought I would share my reaction to this club absolutely taking its place in my bag as of now.

post-15743-0-97589900-1362069516.jpg

Best regards to all you guys here, too, whose posts I learn from and enjoy greatly. (If any of you are ever in the Los Angeles area, please feel free to PM me and join me for a round.)

--Richard

Great write up! and we're glad you found your match! :) Love the full JDM bag!

Thanks. The only non-JDM club at this point is the Callaway 64* wedge. No luck yet in persuading Miura to make a 64*... ;=]

Interesting how polarizing this club has been. It seems as though people either love it or don't. I think it is a superb club but quite different than the bread loaf sized 460 drivers. I almost think this is a throwback driver with big forgiveness. It is a strange but lovely beast. The shaft is good also. IMO this may be the best value driver from Japan. I also recommend dating it for a while. She is a girl that doesn't necessarily put out until the 3rd date.

Now the Ryoma, she is a sleazy one that immediately gives up the goods!

Nice write up.... Thanks for sharing

Managed to get half a bucket in with mine this morning. Actually broke 44* today here. Am in complete agreement with what you said. It is a great club to swing, contact location is communicated and you can control flight and path. The Diamana X is a great compliment to a wonderful head. I think having the S instead of the X allows me to stay much more fluid with this shaft helping with the shot control...

Great review. Nothing there I can disagree with.

Played my second round today with mine today. Thank goodness I opted for the 10.5. Low screaming bullets that run and run.

Almost every other driver I play is a 9.5.

Have to admit I am working to get it to launch just a bit higher. Might, might have to put a different shaft in it to accomplish that

but the club absolutely performs.

nice review. i really love the smaller headed drivers and if this had a black face i don't think i could resist it!

Interesting how polarizing this club has been. It seems as though people either love it or don't. I think it is a superb club but quite different than the bread loaf sized 460 drivers. I almost think this is a throwback driver with big forgiveness. It is a strange but lovely beast. The shaft is good also. IMO this may be the best value driver from Japan. I also recommend dating it for a while. She is a girl that doesn't necessarily put out until the 3rd date.

Now the Ryoma, she is a sleazy one that immediately gives up the goods!

I'm seeing everyone who gets it loves it, haven't seen any negative reviews yet

So guys ( Any one who has tried the club ), do you think you've found the new beast on the block, both forgiveness and distance wise? Even Royoma , Crazy or J-Beam can do nothing but eat dust? Eeeeee....ha! Boy , I'm excited. Hope can learn more about the club. Great jobs! Guys.

So guys ( Any one who has tried the club ), do you think you've found the new beast on the block, both forgiveness and distance wise? Even Royoma , Crazy or J-Beam can do nothing but eat dust? Eeeeee....ha! Boy , I'm excited. Hope can learn more about the club. Great jobs! Guys.

Not for me. Forgiveness still goes to ryoma, distance still to jbeam 435 and combination of the 2 to the romaro 460hx black for me. The t.388 is very nice but no big shakes for me. Just me of course.

The shaft is good also. IMO this may be the best value driver from Japan. I also recommend dating it for a while. She is a girl that doesn't necessarily put out until the 3rd date.

Agree with you on the shaft, too. I got the Stiff -- it's great looking and I really like the way it loads. Looking forward to my 2nd and 3rd dates over the weekend... <g>

Great review. Nothing there I can disagree with.

Played my second round today with mine today. Thank goodness I opted for the 10.5. Low screaming bullets that run and run.

Almost every other driver I play is a 9.5.

Have to admit I am working to get it to launch just a bit higher. Might, might have to put a different shaft in it to accomplish that

but the club absolutely performs.

Yeah, I'm glad I went for the 10.5, too. On the range, I gradually raised the tee height back to my normal Everest height and it was then that I popped one over the screen at the end of the range and realized I could get plenty of height out of it, too. Another example of the kind of choice I think this club gives you. Sweet!

nice review! but wow after just putting my $$ on a premia a few days ago and now seeing this post..great! i need to fundraiser again for this..

Yeah, I'm glad I went for the 10.5, too. On the range, I gradually raised the tee height back to my normal Everest height and it was then that I popped one over the screen at the end of the range and realized I could get plenty of height out of it, too. Another example of the kind of choice I think this club gives you. Sweet!

Spine tilt and impact angle is your friend.

Not for me. Forgiveness still goes to ryoma, distance still to jbeam 435 and combination of the 2 to the romaro 460hx black for me. The t.388 is very nice but no big shakes for me. Just me of course.

Hey! Richard,

What's your thought about the above comment? Right, Tario. If you read this, you are welcome to give us some advice too. Thanks!

No matter which club we speak about some will love it and others will love others.

My experience with the Syard is one of love.

The T.388 is imo the best smaller headed driver on the market, or dare I say ever made...

but if you guys want big forgiveness, distance, feel in a larger head. S-Yard XT Forged driver. It's stupidly amazing. It's a Kobayashi design.

Tario can go over the experience he has had with it and what a few of our customers have emailed us, this driver deserves its own thread.

This is a killer driver, bar none.

While its still very early and I've only had a couple sessions with it, its long, tight and hits the ball and a perfect trajectory. I can shape this club much easier than my KPX. I like the smaller head on this and the fact I don't need to tee it high. I've got a 10.5 with a half degree open head. The feel is incredible. Take the very famous Technity and combine it the KPX and you've got a driver that incorporates all the soft feel one could desire but yet still has the face strength to send the ball screaming off the face and you know exactly how well the ball was struck. Its longer than my other drivers. I do credit some of that of spec'g down my shaft but I played a night game yesterday and hit three drives over 275. All three were perfectly struck. I can't wait to get more time with it to really be able to dial it in.

Before getting this I thought this to be a very special club and has it ever lived up to my expectations. I know not all will like this club. If you're used to a 460cc driver and you're doing well with it I don't believe you'll like this. But for me, I stared parring down the driver head size. I started with the Yonex 380 and went to the KPX. I like both of those drivers, the Yonex for the size and the KPX for the high face. And while the S-Yard does not have the high face, I still find it pleasing to look at, at address and have no issues striking it true. I like that I can tee it lower and just swing. In the range session a couple days ago, I found it easy to work the ball, producing gentle fades and draws. Feel wise, its very reminiscent of the earlier Epon clubs for those that have experience with that but IMPROVED. No marshmallow feel, just soft but strong at the same time. Very soft with enough of a hint of harshness to make it all come together. Dare I say, for feel; the S-Yard is to the driver what the Zen is to the putter.

Well, now you have me wondering about the Zen putter...

Second date with driver went just as we'll as first...

Dare I say, for feel; the S-Yard is to the driver what the Zen is to the putter.

Wonder if the Bold will be to wedges...

The T.388 is imo the best smaller headed driver on the market, or dare I say ever made...

but if you guys want big forgiveness, distance, feel in a larger head. S-Yard XT Forged driver. It's stupidly amazing. It's a Kobayashi design.

Tario can go over the experience he has had with it and what a few of our customers have emailed us, this driver deserves its own thread.

Have you had the opportunity to try the 388 next to the Mizuno 611? Just played another round with it and hit some very lovely drives. Has replaced my Adams 9015, really is a lovely looking thing and seems low spin and forgiving... wish i'd had the Nunchuk shaft respreayed black to match.

The lower 56.5 lie seems great.