Royal Collection -- no love?

siagolf

Hi all,

Don't see a lot of reviews, comments and overall love for royal collection gear -- any reason why? I'm interested in the 2012 705V BBD's...they look like beauties and the write-up describes them to be quite forgiving but still perform! Anyone with real-life experience with these weapons that they can share?

I love RC. I'm not sure why the interest seems to have gone down. Their 2012 woods were awesome, but maybe their irons weren't up to par?

I hit their flagship cavity back the other day and it wasn't anything special to me. Has an undercut cavity and the big RC on the back. Set up a little closed as well. Playability was good but didn't have a real soft feel. The MB felt good however.

In case you haven't noticed, the patrons of TSG are wont to the brand du jour. it's like a swimsuit calendar. Each month a new piece comes out to lust over.

longtime Sonartec 3 wood player here..... this was a subsidary of RC, doesn't exist anymore..... but I've found no finer 3 wood. Always interested to see what their latest woods look like.

I also play RC DB proto wedges that have the perfect look and feel.

So like most Companies out there, pick and choose which works......

i'm sure alot of folks still love RC (for me their protp 3w and tourvs driver are still in the bag, in fact i love that 3w so much wont trade it for any other even tho its been beaten to death by now) its just that it seems they kinda dropped the ball lately and it looks like they decided to expand and go more mainstream in terms of their product. that might not completely be true but it just seems that way from outside anyway. also heard they had some people split which probably didnt help things either. it would be great if they could find a good balance between mainstream and custom product going forward or if people who split do their own little gig old RC style.

i'm sure alot of folks still love RC (for me their protp 3w and tourvs driver are still in the bag, in fact i love that 3w so much wont trade it for any other even tho its been beaten to death by now) its just that it seems they kinda dropped the ball lately and it looks like they decided to expand and go more mainstream in terms of their product. that might not completely be true but it just seems that way from outside anyway. also heard they had some people split which probably didnt help things either. it would be great if they could find a good balance between mainstream and custom product going forward or if people who split do their own little gig old RC style.

Agreed. My RC 3 wood is very solidly in the bag and I have not want for another. Not to mention the RC utility, that won't be leaving the bag either.

I've got two wedges and the DB Forged 56 is the best sand wedge I've ever owned. Great club.

It does seem like Royal Colllection really "gets it" one year and then takes a year or two off in terms of making something that people want. While they are hit and miss at times, they're still really good at producing quality product from time to time. Always worth a look and they've been doing it for some time. I think its hard to have a "hit" every year.

RC is great, but they don't produce as much variety of models as the other brands, so people don't get hyped up over it. Personally I think they are great clubs. I don't have much experience with the irons, but their woods and utility clubs are great! They feel more metallic than soft, but produces a lower and powerful trajectory. Workability is good also.

• 10 months later...

It seems like rc has a us range and a japan range? Found 2 websites, .com and .co.jp and the models in there are all different... is this right?

I play their hybrids. Simply the most forgiving and very long. Tried their MB irons and they are gorgeous...just nothing great in the feel department.

Edited by Exhaloprez

I have the BBD hybrid from 2011 or 2012 (can't remember) and it's amazing. Best feeling wood I've hit since the Epon Technity. I absolutely love.

I love the utilities and fairways even the most recent ones.

Irons they had one or two over the years that were really good but the majority have been just decent.

Drivers, imo they have a lot of work to do in this department.

Wedges, if you go just a few years back the wedges are phenomenal, the recent stuff I have yet to try.

How easy are they to find in Japan?

I know one place in Bangkok - a club fitter at the All Star driving range.

They have some FW's, woods and irons - several years ago I saw RC had a beautiful cavity back iron set out. Very understated/classic and a particularly pretty heel (!)... as in, the flow from the hosel to the face at the heel was notably smooth and good looking. Can't spot any pics on google to show them sadly...

The sole channel got them rave reviews for FW woods, and may well be great also for drivers for those it suited - i'd guess the stronger/better player, since it looks like a higher COG design (a la Slider...) , then couple that with almost invisible retail presence... and they'd be ok as a niche brand but ....

they went from understated and quietly well regarded by those in the know,

with irons that used to look like this

431196572_317.jpg

to new cavity backs that would make a traditionalist ( and old school RC owner perhaps) throw up in their mouth a little...

rc-tour-vs-34.jpg

thier wedges and fairway woods play as good as anything there is from, anyone.

ive got plenty of RC fwds super CV, bbd , they look great play just as good as anything brand spanking i have right now ,albeit maybe just a little bit shorter in distaance. but they are truely the msot versatile of all my fwds, they can do antyhing, they are NOT point shoot.

the wedges , eps the DB/WS are just lovely, they are in the bag right now

didnt like thier drivers

irons, well............, ive been eyeing off the blades for a long time but they do the typical big offset in the 9/pw thing and it just kills it for me.

after i started palying almost zero offest sticks its seriosuly hard to lok at anything else again.

but htose RC blades wud be right at the top of irons id sneak in if i change my mind.

ithink they are best known for fwd and wedges tho.

Yeah, some of their irons look amazing but the offset on almost all of them is a killer for me. A little is ok, but they always seem to have more than other irons in the category vs. other makers.

thier wedges and fairway woods play as good as anything there is from, anyone.

ive got plenty of RC fwds super CV, bbd , they look great play just as good as anything brand spanking i have right now ,albeit maybe just a little bit shorter in distaance. but they are truely the msot versatile of all my fwds, they can do antyhing, they are NOT point shoot.

the wedges , eps the DB/WS are just lovely, they are in the bag right now

didnt like thier drivers

irons, well............, ive been eyeing off the blades for a long time but they do the typical big offset in the 9/pw thing and it just kills it for me.

after i started palying almost zero offest sticks its seriosuly hard to lok at anything else again.

but htose RC blades wud be right at the top of irons id sneak in if i change my mind.

ithink they are best known for fwd and wedges tho.

Stew you ever hit the Srixon 925MB?