Sold the Personals, now what to get... Advice please. Also - CoolClubs in Scottsdale experience - Fantastic.

Mjr. D

Had a fitting at Cool Clubs in Scottsdale two weeks ago. Honestly, one of the most impressive things I've ever done.

The store is like an assembly line at Mercedes or Ferrari. Everything is just utter precision and OCD-like attention to detail.

$500 but absolutely worth it.

I brought along my Epon 302s with newly shafted UST Recoils but they quickly determined that they were playing far too soft (CPM), too long and the heads were 2* too flat.

They were laughing pretty hard because once I got warmed up, I was hitting my 6 iron 245yards on a Trackman at 108mph. They didn't have anything in their system that fit those specs so they decided the closest bet would be, to my disgust, the C-Tapers tipped... a lot. I told them I hated them in the Personals but took their advice since they have all the tech and then some, to back up their findings. Anyway, long long story short, the re-shafted my 302s with C-Tapers (and they do feel much better than the Personals felt with C-Tapers, for some reason) but I now have a brand new set of Recoils I want to put in something else.

Which do you guys think? I'm looking for something with the softest possible feel and comparable playability to the Epon 302.

2013 Tourstage 709-MB

Yamaha 2013 V-Forged tour

Honma Tour World

Maruman Pro X Conductor

Something from Fourteen?

Something from Romaro?

Mizuno Custom MP-64s

Kyoei Zestaim

Something new coming from S-Yard?

Epon? Just kidding.

Thanks!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if your previous recoil/302 set were playing way too soft won't that be the case if you were to get another set of heads for the recoils?

If soft feel is what your looking for then I would suggest 2013 ONOFF irons. Less offset then the 302's and slightly larger head but more forgiving and spongy soft feel. Ask MBBG how he likes his set. He's playing the recoil protos in his 2013ONOFF's.

Edited by Baddmnkey

tourstage arnt soft. they are clicky .. on purpose. they dont feel anything like epon.

yamaha 2013 tour would be a good diea if uwant a set of blades to go with the 302, thats a god foil for the 302

check out hte prgr tr 500 or id series... i just got a set of tr 500s and they look fantasic , im resahfting next week

they have a i small thckness no off set semi longer blade.

i-drive thinks they are good, that says something

Hahaha, my short game has a lot left to be desired!

But ya, I s**t you not, that's the honest to god results. Actually, I lied. 107 was my swing speed with the 6 irons.

Also, I'm going to be tipping the recoils down as much as possible and hard stepping them. I just really like them and want to hang on to them.

Also, when I was testing I swinging very hard and a lot of the time I don't play at that type of swing speed. However, they asked me to max my specs because they said they NEVER want to fit soft.

Edited by Mjr. Diarrhea

Also take note of how the Crazy Sigma FW and Tourstage 12.5 fairway wood lowered my spin rate. Granted it was 1.5* lower loft.

I have about 20 pages of date and fitting results and graphs, etc. Pretty cool (no pun intended) experience.

Also I already have the Onoff Forged 2011 irons so I'm good for now, with Onoff.

I was at one of these major golf store and saw two guys hitting a 5 iron 275 yards on a trackman or something similar. I told the two guys that even the pros don't hit it that far. They told me that they purposely changed the elevation on the machines to make it look like people can hit farther than what they actually can.

I was at one of these major golf store and saw two guys hitting a 5 iron 275 yards on a trackman or something similar. I told the two guys that even the pros don't hit it that far. They told me that they purposely changed the elevation on the machines to make it look like people can hit farther than what they actually can.

That's why I have no faith in LMs. I was supposed to have hit 340 yard drive on a LM once... yah right. At least the owner was honest enough to tell me his LM was off.

"They were laughing pretty hard because once I got warmed up, I was hitting my 6 iron 245yards on a Trackman at 108mph."

Uhmmm...no! The average PGA pro hits a 6 iron 180-200. Tiger hit his 6 iron 190. Tiger's 2 iron goes 245. Bubba, the longest pro on the PGA Tour hits his 6 iron 218.

I've been on Trakmans before that have me hitting it 310yards with a driver and then when I went to the range to hit the exact same setup, it was more like 275 or less. It's a very old sale routine to make you buy more gear.

If you hit 245 with your 6 iron, means you should be getting about 400 yards or more with your driver....perhaps Mr D is really Mr Sadlowski??

6 iron 245?

man you need x100 triple hard step.

lots of stuff from romaro that could fit your

preferences. i like the honmas too.

Might wanna try the DG X7's perhaps?

The 2013 OnOff's have been tweaked in all the right directions, that was going to be my first suggestion until you said you were

good on them. Still might be worth checking out.

Are you looking for a blade? a forgiving (if there is such a thing) blade? Some offset, no offset?

CB? What fits your eye? What do you want to work/play?

Without sounding silly I think your biggest issue is getting the shaft right. I'm not going to suggest you take your swing to

3/4 and work on the ball strike............

Tiger can and will hit his 2 iron well past 245 if needed.

Thanks guys. Muzinos and tourstage are my first choices so far.

As far as trackman distances, etc. Its not exaggerated. They fit all the PGA Tour guys there, tons of athletes, etc.

I've hit my 6 iron 240 in real life conditions many times.

In fact, my driver distances on the trackman were 330-340 and actually short compared to real world findings at 350-360.

I'm a big guy and very explosive. The average tour players swings his 6 iron 91 mph. I'm at 107. That's a big difference.

Doesn't make me a good golfer. But in terms of clubbed speed and distance I can get it out there.

Rob

Was going to mention that some trackman fitters will exaggerate their distances to sell more clubs and lie to their clientele. I have experience with one. Hit. 6 iron to 220 no warmup lol. I figured as much coz my real world is closer to 185.

Was going to ask for your real works 6iron but you answered it. Your a beast. You can just hit hybrids off the tee don't need a driver anymore.

Wish I was blessed with such speed. I once carried my 6 iron 210 with a heavy downwind in a 190 par 3. I thought that was plenty long for my standards:)

Good luck buddy.

Guess onoff is top of your list go for it you might be doing 250 knockdowns with your 6 iron with the stronger loft. I think shaft selection should be more of your priority than heads to be honest

Thanks man.

I agree. Shaft selection is the main thing. I already have the 2011 Onoff forged with Modus 3 120 Tour X and love them. Launch is a little high but I don't feel like tearing them apart.

For the record, I'm pretty damn confident Tiger could hit his 6 iron 225 if he really came un-glued and pured it. 240 is not impossible, at all. II was hitting my hybrid 300 which is about right and my 12.5* fairway 315-320 which is also right. I'm 6'4", 230lbs. Bubba is what? 190lbs? I'm also a way more explosive athlete. Look at these long drive guys.... they hit wedges 175 yards!

And for the record, this is CoolClubs main headquarters. They are insanely meticulous... the store is ridiculous, when you see it in person. They fit and build clubs and have stores all over the world. If they were exaggerating their numbers more than 5 yards they'd be screwing up more people than they'd help. And it wouldn't go unnoticed. This is one of if not the premiere fitting studio in the world. I can assure you these numbers are as accurate as TrackMan is capable of delivering.

Has anyone hit the new Tourstage lineup yet? Or the Marumans?

How about the Kyoeis or Honmas?

Rob

Have you tried hard stepping some x700? Question would be how much hardstep ?

Is their anything from ust that can tame and reign your swing? You kinda remind me of Alvaro Quiros on roids . Very explosive

Do you get to use all your clubs in a round? I would think 3w 5 iron 9 iron lob wedge putter and your good for a 5 club bag. You'd save a lot of money that you can put into short game lessons with the top pros.

FYI yup hear about cool clubs. Have nothing but the higher regards for their services which makes your specs and stats even more jawdropping.

You should join some pro am scrambles:)

And for the record, this is CoolClubs main headquarters. They are insanely meticulous... the store is ridiculous, when you see it in person. They fit and build clubs and have stores all over the world. If they were exaggerating their numbers more than 5 yards they'd be screwing up more people than they'd help. And it wouldn't go unnoticed. This is one of if not the premiere fitting studio in the world. I can assure you these numbers are as accurate as TrackMan is capable of delivering.

they're local to me and i'll vouch for everything rob just stated.

Thanks chiromikey! It's nice to have someone else attest to this. Every time I share my numbers 90% of the recipients call BS!

Now... to find myself some new irons!

they're local to me and i'll vouch for everything rob just stated.

Are you in Scottsdale?