Sold the Personals, now what to get... Advice please. Also - CoolClubs in Scottsdale experience - Fantastic.

Mjr. D

you missed the point, i would go to wrx if i wanted to read the "you can't hit that far crowd". that's reason many of us don't spend the time on wrx that we do here. opinions are one thing but trying to imply someone isn't being honest about his personal stats that having nothing to do with you seems out of character here.

that's my opinion...am i entitled to it?

I never for a second doubted Mr D's honesty. I just think that like many others out there he dealt with a slightly dishonest fitter. If you hit 240 yard 6 irons, you hit 400 yard drives. And you're pretty much aware of the fact that you hit your irons ridiculously long. No need for a fitter to tell you. Basically go to the range, take out a 6 and land almost at the end. That's all. Or better Mr D, next time you're on the course and have a 240 yard shot to the green, take out your 6 iron.

I don't doubt for a second that he's very long. I'm certain he is. But long drive champion long is another thing. Golf is not just power but technique. And it's hard as hell. Technique needs to be bang on. That delayed lag has to be there, the open hips at impact, th follow through...check out a photo break down of their swing and tell me it's not the most amazing mechanics you've ever seen.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never for a second doubted Mr D's honesty. I just think that like many others out there he dealt with a slightly dishonest fitter. If you hit 240 yard 6 irons, you hit 400 yard drives. And you're pretty much aware of the fact that you hit your irons ridiculously long. No need for a fitter to tell you. Basically go to the range, take out a 6 and land almost at the end. That's all. Or better Mr D, next time you're on the course and have a 240 yard shot to the green, take out your 6 iron.

I don't doubt for a second that he's very long. I'm certain he is. But long drive champion long is another thing. Golf is not just power but technique. And it's hard as hell. Technique needs to be bang on. That delayed lag has to be there, the open hips at impact, th follow through...check out a photo break down of their swing and tell me it's not the most amazing mechanics you've ever seen.

i do agree about the mechanics...but on the flip side i've seen (and used) some swings that any "real golfer" would say can't generate enough power, kill the ball. add size and athletic ability to the mix and good mechanics or not, things happen.

Edited by chiromikey

Someone touched on it -- the wind up factor that a professional pitcher understands intuitively is not going to measure with us mortals -- especially when the guy is Mjr. D's size to begin with. My guess is you also threw a rising fastball -- is that right, D?

The other ball players that often transition to good golfers tend to have the old fashioned kind of wrist release when they hit that Mike Schmidt had. I used to watch that in slo-mo. It IS the golf release, and why a lot of Schmidt's homers looked so effortless.

I say, nice hitting, Mjr D!

Someone touched on it -- the wind up factor that a professional pitcher understands intuitively is not going to measure with us mortals -- especially when the guy is Mjr. D's size to begin with. My guess is you also threw a rising fastball -- is that right, D?

The other ball players that often transition to good golfers tend to have the old fashioned kind of wrist release when they hit that Mike Schmidt had. I used to watch that in slo-mo. It IS the golf release, and why a lot of Schmidt's homers looked so effortless.

+1

Many other sports can translate into high SS in golf. Baseball, many racket sports, hockey, etc… They all require similar muscle groups and firing patterns. Actual mechanics are slightly different and one can definitely screw up the other but for raw potential...

i do agree about the mechanics...but on the flip side i've seen (and used) some swings that any "real golfer" would say can't generate enough power, kill the ball. add size and athletic ability to the mix and good mechanics or not, things happen.

I'm not trying to be a hater here and i'm certainly not the envious type.

Chromikey, I don't want to get into it with you because I hear you're a really nice guy, and it's not my goal. I'm not criticizing D, his swing or anything. I'm just being realistic, that's all. It's possible he does have one of those superman swings. But they're so rare and numbers are inflated so often (by fitters) that skepticism creeps in rapidly.

As for your "things happen" comment. Yes, they do. But we're talking power and perfect technique numbers.

I dunno. Hey, I could be way off and sincerely hope those numbers are true and i'm forced to eat my poisonous wrx words.

Yes, the release. And that's not something I saw in the video. If anything his release is early, losing power and adding loft. One can hit the ball first, deloft at impact...that's why players like garcia hits his 9 iron so far. At impact it's more of a 7 iron than a 9 iron and that release is very very late.

I'm not trying to be a hater here and i'm certainly not the envious type.

Chromikey, I don't want to get into it with you because I hear you're a really nice guy, and it's not my goal. I'm not criticizing D, his swing or anything. I'm just being realistic, that's all. It's possible he does have one of those superman swings. But they're so rare and numbers are inflated so often (by fitters) that skepticism creeps in rapidly.

As for your "things happen" comment. Yes, they do. But we're talking power and perfect technique numbers.

I dunno. Hey, I could be way off and sincerely hope those numbers are true and i'm forced to eat my poisonous wrx words.

i'm not trying to get into flame war either and if he had said his numbers came from one of the big box stores or he wasn't (at one point) a high level athlete i'd probably be quietly siding with you. no hard feelings.

Hey c'mon gents. Mr D brought up the long distance claim himself and some, including myself, doubted that claim and those doubts were about the trakman data not his claims. No real harm and I think Mr D handled it all with humor and an impressive pic:)

All that being said and after watching the video more than a couple times, there is absolutely no way he's generating the type of speed Zubach or any of the LD guys generate. Not even close.

Might he hit it a long way based on the fact that he's a big dude? Sure, but Sadlowski is about 158 lbs so size is a bit less meaningful these days.

p.s. We all like to talk about Wrx like they're the evil empire but there are things I learn from TSG that I can't learn from Wrx and vice versa and the guys there are pretty direct and honest about claims of crazy distances especially when someone attaches a video.

He never claimed to have Sadlowski type speed. Look at his stat sheet he provided. His 3W club head speed was 115. Driver should be at about 5% more at 120-125. The funny thing is 6 iron club head speed should be at about 80% of driver which would put the driver in the 135 range but golf has so many variables that it doesn't always follow a linear scale.

And there is NO way you can judge club head speed by just looking at a swing. If you saw where his ball landed on that video you'd probably have a general idea but no way just from the naked eye.

I don´t mean to call you or Cool Clubs out... but that 6-iron distance they are claiming is insane. I have seen some long guys and some VERY long guys... but they didn´t even get close to that. And their swings look much better, in my opinion. I just have a hard time seeing you tee off with your 6-iron next to me and I will have to pull my driver to hit it longer.

If I´m wrong, I´m happy to apologize, just hard to believe.

If that only is a 65% swing, can you post something 95%, 97%, or even 100%? ;)

Just would love to compare your 100% to Sadlowskis 100%.

Many, scratch that, most longdrive have VERY "ugly" home made looking swings and The usually ugliest part is The follow through, normally very very far from "pro" looking. Swing planes, angles etc is often all over the place. Hell, Bubba has a very flatfooted finish when he goes after one, Sadlowski even has a bit bent left arm chicken winging going on. But they do know how to generate serious swing speed and great impact.

Edited by Vegaman

Hey c'mon gents. Mr D brought up the long distance claim himself and some, including myself, doubted that claim and those doubts were about the trakman data not his claims. No real harm and I think Mr D handled it all with humor and an impressive pic:)

All that being said and after watching the video more than a couple times, there is absolutely no way he's generating the type of speed Zubach or any of the LD guys generate. Not even close.

Might he hit it a long way based on the fact that he's a big dude? Sure, but Sadlowski is about 158 lbs so size is a bit less meaningful these days.

p.s. We all like to talk about Wrx like they're the evil empire but there are things I learn from TSG that I can't learn from Wrx and vice versa and the guys there are pretty direct and honest about claims of crazy distances especially when someone attaches a video.

They are "honest and direct" with what they think they know and see..if that british guy that won the world title hadnt taken part in The World championship, and he posted a video on WRX showing his swing and said "I it that one 380, that one 400, my SS is this, my ballspeed is that" The "honest and direct crowd" on WRX would come down on him like a ton of bricks! i can GUARANTEE it, plus many snide remarks, insults etc etc.

Edited by Vegaman

He never claimed to have Sadlowski type speed. .

No, but he did claim to be more explosive than Bubba:)

Agreed. Thanks chiromikey!

Mjr. D - great numbers dude. Keep up the good work. I thought I was long but there's always someone longer............RIduffer, don't even think about it!

Thanks man! I appreciate it!

No, but he did claim to be more explosive than Bubba:)

Nothing against Bubba, but I'm just under 6'4" and can get my head at a regulation basketball rim height of 10'. I doubt bubba can dunk. Explosive swing, yes he has one. But again, watch long drive and other pro athletes other than golfers and you will see that Bubba is nowhere near what I would consider an all around explosive athlete.

They are "honest and direct" with what they think they know and see..if that british guy that won The word title hadnt taken part in The World championship, and he posted a video on WRX showing his swing and said "I it that one 380, that one 400, my SS is this, my ballspeed is that" The "honest and direct crowd" on WRX would come down on him like a ton of bricks! i can GUARANTEE it, plus many snide remarks, insults etc etc.

Couldn't agree more!

OK, I just watched a video of Mr D who is humble enough not to mention here that he used to pitch for the Phillies, so I will now go eat a big slice of humble pie:)

Check out the video at the end of this article:

http://www.golftoimpress.com/tsg-featured-customer-rob-harrand-hard-hitting-golf-fanatic/

Guys, seriously, this is hilarious. You'd think I'm trashing the church, based on some of these posts.

Without sounding like too much of a d**khead, I was (still am but not as much) an EXTREMELY flexible athlete. Used to be able to do the splits, no problem.

Could run a 4.45 40 yard dash. 44inch vetical leap. Bat speed was 104. I'm a horrible bench presser but I've always had very strong legs. Can one leg leg press 6 plates/side. I used to be able to hit 96mph with badly tampered with pitching mechanics.

No, i'm not Jamie Sadlowski or the england power lifting guy or Zuback. These guys train year round AND they're more naturally freakish at swinging a golf club fast, than I am. However, put them on a track, basketball court, baseball diamond, football field, etc and I would have my way with them all day, not even a contest. Point being... explosive athleticism DOES transfer over to a powerful yet effortless (due to flexibility and my height) golf swing.

Is my swing technically good? Hell no. Take away to the inside, cupped left wrist, across the line at the top, too steep of a downswing, poor weight transfer, left foot moves during transition, arms trail body on downswing, flippy, early release. Like I said when I posted the video of my swing last month; I'm NOT a good ball striker. I hit a lot of thin shots. It f**king drives me nuts! I hate it! However, in terms of club head speed/velocity, yes I can swing the 6 iron close to 110mph and I can routinely hit the six iron 230 yards and 240 yards therefore, isn't an impossibility. As a matter of fact, I got very little sleep, played 18 the morning of and didn't eat lunch before the CoolClubs fitting and my driver swing speed which was 125MPH that day, was slower than I've tested previously and my distance shorter. I also haven't been working out since Dec. I can tell you right now that Cool Clubs does not purposely set the distances, ball speeds, etc high, on the TrackMan. The owner is a highly respected member of the golfing world and a TOTAL PURIST. If you could see the store, the attention to detail, the systematic way in which they operate their businesses you would quickly realize this guy would rather be out of the business altogether, than f**k with numbers.

Another good point is regarding long drivers and their swings. A) A shorter, stockier, less flexible guy's swing is always going to look faster than a taller, longer, more flexible guy's swing so you can't go by that. B) Very few of the long driver's swings are technically sound, especially for ball control but as far as generating raw power, there are different ways to produce it and that's exactly what you'll notice when youtubing these guys. Bottom line, a weak, non explosive, non flexible guy is NEVER going to produce fast club head speed REGARDLESS of his technique. Look at Mike Weir and similar guys on the PGA tour. Luke Donald, etc. The guy who fit me at Cool Clubs was telling me how Matt Kutcher was in there getting things checked out two weeks prior to when I was there and his driver speed was 106, which is about average for the PGA Tour.

As far as 150mph. Technically, no, I've never been tested swinging the club at 150mph, even with a long drive club. I've been tested swinging 148mph (with a swing speed radar, which is generally considered to accurate within a range of 5mph) but for the sake of the promotional video, why not exaggerate 2 mph and make it 150. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Anyway, at the end of the day, I could never in my wildest dreams fathom myself being able to perform acrobatic movements like olympians or cirque de sole or run like Usain Bolt or bench press 500lbs but the point is.... people do it!

I fall in the middle of this and don't have a dog in either fight. I understand the sheer magnitude of MDs athletic prowess and the incredible power he generates.

That said, even at borderline superhuman levels of power, the numbers are pushing the boundaries of physics without a proper delofting of the club, which I don't see happening in the video. I'm just not going to work myself up over what's likely a little bit of trackman hyperbole and I don't believe Rob is trying to passive brag either. Some people really do have athletic gifts that are almost unfathomable to those who haven't witnessed them in person. His other athletic exploits back up his claims in a large way and he has been compelled to defend himself by demonstrating them.

Posting things like this opens the door to criticism and skepticism, and rightfully so, but the guy has every right to believe what a reputable fitter was telling/showing him. Therefore I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, while also acknowledging a near certainty of distance exaggeration.

big guy robs size.., tons of power... sure, why not

l i saw my bud from korea last yr who hadnt swung a golf club in 7years since school fly my happy gilmor attempt and roll 40 yards past me. min was 309 +- i think thats the best i have . he flew it. and hes not a proper golfer , hes a big strapping aggressive meat eating goliath.

i was like whoa boy uneed to start playing...!!!

anywya back to clubs

get the yamaha 2011

Edited by supo67

I fall in the middle of this and don't have a dog in either fight. I understand the sheer magnitude of MDs athletic prowess and the incredible power he generates.

That said, even at borderline superhuman levels of power, the numbers are pushing the boundaries of physics without a proper delofting of the club, which I don't see happening in the video. I'm just not going to work myself up over what's likely a little bit of trackman hyperbole and I don't believe Rob is trying to passive brag either. Some people really do have athletic gifts that are almost unfathomable to those who haven't witnessed them in person. His other athletic exploits back up his claims in a large way and he has been compelled to defend himself by demonstrating them.

Posting things like this opens the door to criticism and skepticism, and rightfully so, but the guy has every right to believe what a reputable fitter was telling/showing him. Therefore I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, while also acknowledging a near certainty of distance exaggeration.

I like this post.

big guy robs size.., tons of power... sure, why not

l i saw my bud from korea last yr who hadnt swung a golf club in 7years since school fly my happy gilmor attempt and roll 40 yards past me. min was 309 +- i think thats the best i have . he flew it. and hes not a proper golfer , hes a big strapping aggressive meat eating goliath.

i was like whoa boy uneed to start playing...!!!

anywya back to clubs

get the yamaha 2011

Where can I find these?