Sold the Personals, now what to get... Advice please. Also - CoolClubs in Scottsdale experience - Fantastic.

Mjr. D

As far as a blade goes it seems the Pro 100's would be a great ball flight (lower) iron??

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either way it doesn't really matter. Questioning the numbers is pointless. My bad for getting involved in the first place. Shame the topic involves a member directly because the subject is interesting. If those are the numbers, there they are, who am I to question them.

But lets take Mr D, out of the equation for a second.

I guess I'm just naive enough to believe one needs proper ball compression, as in hit down on the ball and squeeze the life out of it, to get very good distance with iron. I tend to believe, rightfully so or not, that distance with a driver and an iron are 2 completely different things. Distance with a driver is one thing. To maximize length the ball needs to be stricken on the way up, an iron, on the way down or at least level. And in both cases have a delayed release. Especially with an iron as it not only adds power but delofts the head at impact and adds compression.

So basically, can we get similar distances by sweeping an iron the way we sweep a driver?

I've gamed the Yamaha Tour 2011 (favourite iron) and the Srixon Pro 100's and for me they both go high (both with graphite shafts). I'd spend some cash on lessons to get you're ball flight lower, and then buy the Yamaha's, I know this what I want to do anyway :tsg_smiley_heart:

Mate the 2011 dont go.high

Im a very high ball.hitter and they go lower than the others

Maybe the 2010 are equal but withsteel they arent.high

Rob u ever thought of miura blades?

Late to the thread, but a few things came to mind reading this:

- Cool Clubs is first rate. I've been to their CT location and found them great. There was definitely no jacking of distances in my case. I still don't think there is a perfect fitting process, but it's hard to find better.

- I played a high level of youth baseball before I gave up the game. I never possessed the explosiveness discussed here (was more of a defensive player - wiry middle infielder), but I witnessed it. One kid on my team grew early and was explosive. He was jacking 400ft bombs at age 11, and I still have mental images of a 450ft shot he hit into Iowa corn fields when we were 15 (stood out to us boys from Brooklyn). When I was in that age range, I'd be lucky to hit one 310ft. Night and day difference.

- Reading Rob's story reminds me how unlikely it is to become a professional athlete. The same team referenced above had at least four guys I would have wagered at the time would go pro; none of them did. One guy from my high school team who had no full-on stand out abilities did and had a reasonably long major league career. There are just so many factors that have to come together; so many are out of control of the athlete.

- We're all jealous. The type of explosiveness you possess, rare as it is, does exist. Harness it and you'll be awesome.

Those custom mizuno also looks very nice. If you want softness, doesn't get any softer than mizuno.

If they're very young and just starting out, I'd teach them how to hold the ball, the importance of always picking a target and a few basic mechanical steps but I wouldn't want to risk compromising their enjoyment of the game for over analytical mechanical focus. You really want to allow their body to figure itself out before making any major changes. Too many times coaches who think they know what they're talking about start tampering with a young kids natural mechanics and delivery and little do they know they've opened up a can of worms that has the potential to compromise their natural talent for years to come. It happened to me and many other I know.

rightyo... ill be looking after this intently over the years...

my young bloke loves throwing.... and it seems hes got a small gift for it for his age , ( right now is still incidnetal ,) but hes light years above the other kids. even up to 2 yrs above him. its good to watch... i just think it migth be worth developing later on ..

my old man has been a sport teacher for 50 years , and was kinda stupified when he saw him throw. at christmas i dont want to interfere now, i beleive natural flow is utmost important in develpoing kids. but eventually it might need to be tuned.... into something.. who knows.

That's great to hear! How old is he? If he has a talent for it, might as well try and hone it!

I could certainly help him when you feel the time is right!

My new business/website will be launching mid April, called Reality Pitching. www.realitypitching.com

Check it out when you get a chance. In the mean time, feel free to send me a message on here if you ever have any questions!

All the best!

Those custom mizuno also looks very nice. If you want softness, doesn't get any softer than mizuno.

Custom Mizzys are tops. More forum members need to adopt these.

Also the new Srixon Z925 I just got in. I forget who said it but these are very soft for an MB and quite forgiving as well.

The MP-69 is incredible feeling and the custom ones look insanely good as well. I also think they're relatively easy to hit for blades.

Edited by MoreBeerBetterGolf

If Cool Clubs determined that the Recoil shafts you got aren't stiff enough for your swing, I don't know why you would keep them; even if you tip them. Wouldn't you be better off selling the shafts, and then, if you really like them, getting an extra stiff, heavier shaft tipped? Unless of course you already have the stiffest, heaviest shaft they make; then you may need to give up on those shafts.

Hmmm, lots of doubt on this guy's power. I absolutely believe him and would be willing to bet that he could hit 240 yards with a 6 iron under normal conditions......I hit the 6 iron on average about 185 and could hit 200 swinging out of my shoes. I consider myself average length and have played with many players who were at least 2 clubs longer than me if not more. Besides a 240 6 iron should only translate to maybe a 350-360 drive. Everytime i get smoked off a tee on a golfcourse, it is usually a ex baseball player or hockey player.

I know some of you guys love the personals but have seem a bunch for sale lately. Personally don't like the looks and have not been an Epon fan.

How about those Crazy LTD avail in the BST.....very cool looking and i second the recd for custom mizuno mp69s

Personally, I didn't like the "Personals" but it may have had to do with the C-Taper shafts that were installed in them. I now have C-Tapers in my 302s in super XXXXXXXX flex hard stepped, etc and they feel better than they did in the Personals but on the whole, I still think they're a bad feeling shaft. Peformance seems decent, though. Although I'm still not seeing the low launch everyone claims they produce.

You really need to work on holding your release. You are a caster/early release guy like me and that's what causes the high ballooning ball flight in combination with your SS. It's more a technique thing than equipment issue.

What I've learned from this is that trying to correct an early release issue with equipment puts a guy in such a stiff low launch shaft that they become very demanding and hard to hit. No joke.

This winter I made it my mission to hold my release and it has paid huge dividends not only in ball flight but distance and feel and ball striking. It's like the light bulb went off. I used to top the ball all the time like you said you do and it's because scooping the ball leaves so little room for error.

I used to think I was "hitting down on the ball" but was sending it to the moon. When it finally clicks and you can hold your release and hit the ball with a descending blow you are rewarded with that same compressed ball feeling but with the proper flight that is the result of delofting the club at impact.

What really helped me get the feel for it was forward pressing before my swing sequence to simulate having my hands well ahead of the ball at impact. Just give this a shot: set up towards your target like you always do. Then lean the shaft forward til your hands are clear forward towards your left hip rather than the center. Then swing like normal. That will help give you the feeling of forward shaft lean at impact and the feel that hitting the ball like that brings. Once you get the hang of it, go back to normal setup and swing sequence but with a focus of holding the release to get the same impact position. Obviously different things work for different people but you and are are very similar in our game and approach (minus about 15 mph SS for me) so maybe if will help you get a feel for proper impact position.

You really need to work on holding your release. You are a caster/early release guy like me and that's what causes the high ballooning ball flight in combination with your SS. It's more a technique thing than equipment issue.

What I've learned from this is that trying to correct an early release issue with equipment puts a guy in such a stiff low launch shaft that they become very demanding and hard to hit. No joke.

This winter I made it my mission to hold my release and it has paid huge dividends not only in ball flight but distance and feel and ball striking. It's like the light bulb went off. I used to top the ball all the time like you said you do and it's because scooping the ball leaves so little room for error.

I used to think I was "hitting down on the ball" but was sending it to the moon. When it finally clicks and you can hold your release and hit the ball with a descending blow you are rewarded with that same compressed ball feeling but with the proper flight that is the result of delofting the club at impact.

What really helped me get the feel for it was forward pressing before my swing sequence to simulate having my hands well ahead of the ball at impact. Just give this a shot: set up towards your target like you always do. Then lean the shaft forward til your hands are clear forward towards your left hip rather than the center. Then swing like normal. That will help give you the feeling of forward shaft lean at impact and the feel that hitting the ball like that brings. Once you get the hang of it, go back to normal setup and swing sequence but with a focus of holding the release to get the same impact position. Obviously different things work for different people but you and are are very similar in our game and approach (minus about 15 mph SS for me) so maybe if will help you get a feel for proper impact position.

Great post.. Working on this as well and setup ad shaft lean has helped me big time.

Lot of pros do that forward press prior to take away. Take Dustin Johnson for example. So if it works for them, why not for us.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Good advice, thanks! I've tried doing this and it does seem to help. My biggest problem is conceptually understand how I'm supposed to be striking the ball.

It's almost as if I've convinced myself over the years that taking a divot is a mistake. What's weird though, is off a mat, I can pure the ball 7/10 times no problem and my shaft lean at impact, according the Cool Clubs, was within a normal range.

Maybe I have a phobia of dirt I wasn't aware of...

As far as forward pressing, I don't mind it except that I always piss around with my grip when I do it. If my grip is strong is feel fine but if my grip is neutral with a forward press, my right hand feels too on top of the grip/club and it seems to force a lot of forearm rotation in the takeaway/backswing to feel normal. I'm not well rehearsed enough in the golf swing to know if this is right or perhaps I've untrained what is considered "normal" or "right".

Thoughts on this?

I also feel like I get huge divots when I forward press because it causes my swing to steepen...

Dude divots are good but only bec I'm a natural digger.

Do you have bacon divots or pork chop divots? U can tell a person swing path by their divots.

I'm also an early caster and don't want to do it mechanically I just want to hit swing and POWWWW minus the actual yelling. Been a battle for me.

Do the tip of Matt above, don't worry about divots or fear of dirt. Just do your normal improvised swing and you might be surprised with the results.

Superintendent of your course might complain bec there's are now divots so deep a small child can shelter in:)

We're trying to tweak this guys swing when he can hit a 6 iron 240?? Help me here