recommend graphite shaft for Mizuno MP59

bchan71

I am seeking to change the NSPro 950GH Regular Steel shafts of my Mizuno MP59's to a graphite shaft. Can anyone recommend to me a good brand/model graphite shaft that can increase my distance and provide better feel/playability.

I have a smooth moderate swing speed (my 7-iron distance is around 140 yards) . Thanks

• 2 months later...

I am also interested to know any recommedation on graphite. iron shaft. I am looking at replacing my MP53 950 nippon or the onoff 850 nippon with light graphite shaft. It was also recommeded once in here the Quadra 502i R is a good choice for speed and distance. Any suggestion, Gocchin?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Based on your 7i carry, regular flex is the stiffest you should play and maybe even consider soft stepping it once or twice.

You may also want to consider lighter weight graphite shafts to help you generate a bit more head speed. If you want to consider graphite, I can whole heartedly recommend the quadra composite X52i series and you can choose from 80+ to 50+ gram weights. I would suggest maybe the 752i like I play as that won't be too radical a drop in weight from your ns pro 95. The 752is come only in regular flex and you can maybe soft step it once.

I play the 752i tipped half inch and hard step once. Very nice shafts which are consistent, long enough and tight enough. Great feel. FYI, my 7i carry (my pw is 45 so that we can compare like loft for like loft as old school loft and current loft are as in my case, 1 club strong) about 159 yards or 145 meters.

Edited by wmclarenf1

I am also interested to know any recommedation on graphite. iron shaft. I am looking at replacing my MP53 950 nippon or the onoff 850 nippon with light graphite shaft. It was also recommeded once in here the Quadra 502i R is a good choice for speed and distance. Any suggestion, Gocchin?

I don't play the 552i but okay the 652i and 752i and they are great shafts. Slightly cheaper, you can consider the fuji MCI shafts as well.

I wouldn't base the flex entirely on carry yardage, everyone has different swings, your probably right, at 140 I would say an R flex probably would get the job done, don't know if I would advise a soft step, but there are a lot of other factors to consider, you would definitely know graphite better than I would though.... On that note, I just had my first experience with graphite-ish shafts today, a set of Aerotech 125 Stiff's in a set of Kamui head's on Stew's advice. I really like the shafts, the heads are pretty darn nice(understatement), but as this is my first experience with anything other than steel shafts in my irons, that's what I'll comment on, They fly almost dead on like a steel shaft, something like a DG type ball flight, much lower than I was expecting, but they have a much smoother feel with a bit more acceleration, nothing violent or harsh at all about these, they feel.... comfortable... that's the best way I can describe it, very easy to get used to vs. steel, I was expecting more of a perceived kick, and while I do feel a bit more acceleration from the shaft then I'm used to its VERY smooth, not difficult to adjust to at all, maybe a touch muted, but on the whole I would say a very positive experience, only negative thing I can say is that it took take a ton of time for my builder to get these shafts in. Will I run out and switch all of my steel iron shafts to these? No, but they will be a serious contender when I'm deciding what shafts to put in new iron heads, and I would recommend these to anyone looking for a graphite-ish option that performs dead on like a steel shaft with a touch more feel and is a bit easier on your hands/joints.... Don't know if my experiences with 125 gram Steel Fiber's will help the OP out to much, but I would definitely say give the lighter Aerotech shafts a look, the price is definitely right and they might be a good fit for you.

Softer flex in graphite than steel? And going lighter? I don't know how most graphite plays, but I would think if someone fits an R in steel, then they would fit at least an R in a lighter graphite shaft.

Well if r in steel was the right flex to begin with then yes. Also, not all graphite shafts play softer then steel shafts in the same weight and flex. That said, i would hazard a guess that most would as a general guide.

But still ... why not soft step? And only for graphite or even steel?

Edited by wmclarenf1

Here's my thinking, an R is going to be around the right flex for the OP in the 950's, carrying 140 would put him in the Reg flex range for sure, a lighter graphite shaft is probably going to play softer. No, not all graphite plays softer than steel, very true, but lighter weight graphite(50-85 grams) is designed to be a lighter softer option, the graphite out there that's designed to play stiffer is going to be heavier options, I highly doubt that anything in the weight range suggested is going to play stiffer than a 95 gram steel shaft, on top of that, weight affects the swing, at what I'm guessing is around the OP's swing speed going to a lighter graphite shaft than the 95 gram steel shafts he's playing now is going to increase his club head speed and the lighter weight will also(probably), slightly increase his tempo. That's what went through my head when I said I wouldn't advise a soft step. Again, you are a graphite player, so you would probably be more in the know about how the shafts suggested actually play, I'm just weighing in based on how I would assume going to graphite and a lighter weight class would affect flex choice.

I didn't really answer your question, why not soft step for graphite or steel, lol. I don't really know enough about the OP's swing to really give a certain answer, but just based on carry distance an R seems to fit, it seems in line with the lightweight steel shaft and the flex, my thought was if he was going to go lighter and graphite then soft stepping might not be the best idea if he feels the R fits in the 950's... But soft stepping the steel might help, if I knew his swing I could say better, it's only a 1/3 flex difference, but it could give him a bit more feel out of the 950's without a doubt without being much softer than what he's used to.

Point of view noted jay. I think you come from what Tsg calls the overspec point of view where perhaps people tend to play stiffer than they should and I the opposite under spec view where perhaps the softer shafts that can still be controlled are preferred. No right or wrong just a preference. Finding that perfect equilibrium is of course not easy at all.

For the OP, 140 yard or approx 127meters carry with a 7I, I'd rather confidently put to you that you are in the softer than r flex range and should consider as such to help with increasing your distance without too much apparent loss in dispersion for a swing speed as suggested by your 7i carry.

Of course, what jay suggests that we have not seen your swing also holds very much as you may not be making good enough contact with the ball for any variety of swing reasons like me lol.

Edited by wmclarenf1

I've always personally preferred to play my shafts a touch softer, I'm probably just incorrect as to where I was putting him flex wise. I would stick with what A suggested.

That had to be the most civilized disagreement I have seen in ages...