Have you tried your BOLD Wedge?

i forget how raw steel is supposed to behave since i live in such an arid climate. i haven't oiled my yururis in months, maybe since last year...and not a hint of rust!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played a round on Tuesday and it rained during the round. I am lucky to have no rust spots at all but my caddie wiped the wedges immediately after every shot and no humidity yet here in Japan. The true test will come in June and on! Besides that I had one of my better short game rounds thanks to the Bold. I'm very happy with them.

Thailand, Hawaii and the like will be difficult for any raw wedge.

In vegas, the bolds I can leave wet and they wont rust. I will send some Bold's to Himeji to get plated. I dont think they can get it perfect with all thats going on in the back face but it will be fun to try.

I'm about to bet this takes at least a couple of months.

Just finished the range session together with the 388 and it is the Bold that I am more impressed with of the 2. Way more impressed with.

Hit some range rocks as well as some used but real balls. Feel wise, it is definitely not on the mushy side. A tad clickish but soft enough feeling in sweet spot hits. The club in totally stock form is obviously not ideally set up for me... lie is too flat than I am used to and grip side especially the lower half, too small. She came face to face with my DWD 56 bent to 54 with an older Shimada K's wedge shaft that weighs about 115 to the stock 120 gram Shimada NW120 DCR shaft in the Bold.

Now while it is logical that I feel more comfortable with my DWD which I have set up and tuned to my liking and am very familiar with by now, the blance of the Bold just felt off or very different to me. Although it has a heavier shaft, the balance felt like the Bold was excessively too head heavy.

Size.. when I first saw the Bold on the net, my instantaneous thought is big and chunky and then when I first saw it in the metal about a month ago, in isolation, I thought the raw and dark finish hid the size very well. Today, my instantaneous reaction when I took the hc off her was... wow.. that is big. See for yourself in the pics. The bigger size is noticeable. Top line is also nearly twice as thick as my DWD.

I hit choke down pitches, full shots, 10, 15, 20 meter bumps all along side my DWD... I think there is something about the Bold. Spin wise it maybe spins a tad (just a tad) more than my DWDs but only on full shots. Given the lie angle, it took me awhile to get used to the Bold and I found myself needing to stand a tad closer to the ball than I normally do to get the sweet spot hence the ball marks closer to the toe prior in the clustering pic.

The Bold came in from Japan and has been on my shores for less than a week. THe owner I think has played a couple of rounds with her, maybe some range time and I just had about 50 balls with her at the range and already the rust spots are appearing in the pic of the sole comparison. Duffer has found this to be the same as well.

Am I overwhlemed with the Bold? Does it do much more than the DWDs? Not really BUT I do think it has potential. Between the 388 and the Bold, I will clearly say I am more impressed with the Bold. WIll I consider getting the full set of 50 56 and 60 and tweaking it to match my DWDs and giving them another run.... possible even though I am not a fan of rust. The Bolds are chuncky especially compared to my DWDs and Miuras but I think the back design while busy is quite interesting. The Bold I am more excited to take out for a demo round on the course.. much more so than the 388.

post-2841-0-91110000-1367990993.jpg

post-2841-0-12439000-1367991010.jpg

post-2841-0-96370800-1367991027.jpg

post-2841-0-18530200-1367991118.jpg

post-2841-0-65367900-1367991136.jpg

Mine are rusted on the base as well

The face appears fine the base isspotted badly

What the ..

?????????????

After 2 rounds and no moisture

Areu kidding,

Played 18 with the Bold 56 today and took out my trusty DWD 54 to force myself to play it. Only needed to use it a total of 6 times. 5 of which were green side bump and runs from 8 to 19 meters (I paced them). 4 of these bumps left me with very short gimmies. One I left short for an easy 2 putt. The other was a 50 meter approach and this was the shot where it did not perform. I thought I hit it well, the ball mark indicated the distance was right but it just released and rolled into the rear bunker. Very strange behavior I must say. Good thing I rescued the sand shot for a one putt.

I'm surprised that despite it being a tad flat for me, grip too thin, balance not the best IN MY HANDS, that the bump and runs worked so well. I'll see if I can convince the owner allow me a few more rounds. The bold has potential and I do want to see if the same 50-60 meter half shots will not hold but release instead again. That was really strange.

Played 18 with the Bold 56 today and took out my trusty DWD 54 to force myself to play it. Only needed to use it a total of 6 times. 5 of which were green side bump and runs from 8 to 19 meters (I paced them). 4 of these bumps left me with very short gimmies. One I left short for an easy 2 putt. The other was a 50 meter approach and this was the shot where it did not perform. I thought I hit it well, the ball mark indicated the distance was right but it just released and rolled into the rear bunker. Very strange behavior I must say. Good thing I rescued the sand shot for a one putt.

I'm surprised that despite it being a tad flat for me, grip too thin, balance not the best IN MY HANDS, that the bump and runs worked so well. I'll see if I can convince the owner allow me a few more rounds. The bold has potential and I do want to see if the same 50-60 meter half shots will not hold but release instead again. That was really strange.

While the stock setup is sexy I'm going to pull mine apart install new shafts and a bigger grip. The stock shaft is a bit heavy.

Agree on the shaft. I'm having my 50 bent to 48 and putting a DG Spinner on it.

Chris what were you thinking of changing the shafts to. As I have also found the shaft to be a bit heavy and the grip to thin.

Ashim

I agree the head feels heavy and that may be due to the imbalance with the shaft. Changing the shaft may create a better balance and feel.

I think the raised CoG might be contributing to the awkward balance feel.

Its not so much static weight but just the balance. Felt overly head heavy. Counter balance may work well here.

Grips coming off no matter what. I think something about the stock shaft is throwing it off even if it hits swing weight.

I doubt it.

Why?

I am confident in the accuracy of the build, and played it as built with my Tour Attas 110g shaft. It was oddly balanced. Added my standard 44g of back end weighting and it is still a awkwardly balanced.

Why?

I am confident in the accuracy of the build, and played it as built with my Tour Attas 110g shaft. It was oddly balanced. Added my standard 44g of back end weighting and it is still a awkwardly balanced.

I ain't a technical guy but I think a relatively small shift in cg in this instance can't make a head feel heavier on its own. Of course I could very well be wrong but that is my logic path here.

I ain't a technical guy but I think a relatively small shift in cg in this instance can't make a head feel heavier on its own. Of course I could very well be wrong but that is my logic path here.

I am not saying that it feels unusually heavy, only that at the same SW as other wedges with comparable static weight they feel awkwardly balanced. Crayz Toyo with Crazy Black Evo II and RomaRo SX and Alcobaca shafted with Crazy Black wedge shafts all built to the same spec. That is why I am attributing it to CoG, and in comparison to other wedges I don't think the CoG shift is insignificant.

i think its possible, there is lots of weight shifted up from what it looks like. you can do a quick test. take any classic wedge with the same amount of offset as bold and lay both shafts flat on the table side by side so that the heads hang toe down off the side then have a level view look facing their soles. if bold got enough weight there as it looks it does it should be way more face closed than the other wedge and if its significantly more it might explain what you perceive as awkward balance. the other thing it would do if thats the case it would try to close the face more thru impact compared to the other wedge.

I am not saying that it feels unusually heavy, only that at the same SW as other wedges with comparable static weight they feel awkwardly balanced. Crayz Toyo with Crazy Black Evo II and RomaRo SX and Alcobaca shafted with Crazy Black wedge shafts all built to the same spec. That is why I am attributing it to CoG, and in comparison to other wedges I don't think the CoG shift is insignificant.

i think its possible, there is lots of weight shifted up from what it looks like. you can do a quick test. take any classic wedge with the same amount of offset as bold and lay both shafts flat on the table side by side so that the heads hang toe down off the side then have a level view look facing their soles. if bold got enough weight there as it looks it does it should be way more face closed than the other wedge and if its significantly more it might explain what you perceive as awkward balance. the other thing it would do if thats the case it would try to close the face more thru impact compared to the other wedge.

Thanks for the explanation ant. If the static head weight is the same regardless, I'm surprised that shifting of the cg will affect the balance (again, assuming static weight of the head stays the same) as it is not shifting weight halfway up the shaft and closer to the grip for example. As for closing of the face, I did not find that it did.

its not really an explanation its more like something to test and see whether there is any effect or not. wedges are the heaviest heads so shifting weight in them significantly can affect how their feel in your hands and some people are more sensitive to that sort of thing than others. if you hold it lightly in your hands and it wants to torque one way or the other enough for you to feel it i'd think you would feel a bit odd about its balance even if swing weight and dead weight are roughly the same.

CG moves a couple of mm, I don't think that's what you guys are feeling in the balance. But if you are wow you got some fine senses there.

couple of mm would do absolutely nothing, no measurable or practical effect that is. has to be at least quarter inch to make a difference. looking at the bold shape there quite a bit more meat moved to the top and on top of that (no pun) they drilled at the bottom to remove weight and put additional 25g at the top. that would be way more than than couple of mm, especially if you compare to placement in classic sole heavy wedges. whether or not different folks can feel that difference is another matter.

CG moves a couple of mm, I don't think that's what you guys are feeling in the balance. But if you are wow you got some fine senses there.

the balance is definitely different. whether it's the swingweight, headweight, or shaftweight...i'm not sure as i haven't tried a different shaft yet. what i do know is that the head reacts differently than traditional heavy sole weighted wedges. because of that, i probably wouldn't recommend these to sub par ball strikers or players that might decel through impact. with so much weight moved from the sole to the top line and toe, the head can become a bit unstable on even slight toe mis-hits or shots where the player isn't strong through impact. to play these i think there's going to be learning curve involved.