Have you tried your BOLD Wedge?

I agree with this, Duffer. While I've loved the Bold for short hop-and-stop chips, I get an odd feeling in the down part of a full swing that has left me missing pins and even a few greens to the right from about 100 yds with the 50*. For now, I've gone back to my Miura Y-49, which returned me to target right away. (Still just crushing drives with the t.388 though, and I mean CRUSHING 'em! ;=]

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will still play the Bolds. I do like them, just need to spend a little time re-acclimating to them before the first round and getting used to traditional wedges afterwards. They perform well and find them to be very accurate after that adjustment. But there is that adjustment period to them. That might diminish over time but for now it is definitely a consideration.

Agreed on the 388 although I must admit, played my Kasco e340 this morning and put a couple equal to the 388 in distance. Those were pure strikes though so with the forgiveness factor the 388 is still a longer club.

I will still play the Bolds. I do like them, just need to spend a little time re-acclimating to them before the first round and getting used to traditional wedges afterwards. They perform well and find them to be very accurate after that adjustment. But there is that adjustment period to them. That might diminish over time but for now it is definitely a consideration.

Agreed on the 388 although I must admit, played my Kasco e340 this morning and put a couple equal to the 388 in distance. Those were pure strikes though so with the forgiveness factor the 388 is still a longer club.

I believe that it make take at least another 3-4 rounds to get completely comfortable with the Bolds. As Riduffer said sticking with them is the right way to go and they may yet yield great results.

guys, i wonder if this is shaft related instead like Chris said ? did you guys change from stock shaft or not ? i havent tried that shaft model so dunno anything about it. the only shimada shaft i have tried was demoing cleveland 588 while back and i totally hated the feel and i'm usually not fussy about wedge shafts as i dont believe they make that much of a difference but that shaft felt just plain off to me.

guys, i wonder if this is shaft related instead like Chris said ? did you guys change from stock shaft or not ? i havent tried that shaft model so dunno anything about it. the only shimada shaft i have tried was demoing cleveland 588 while back and i totally hated the feel and i'm usually not fussy about wedge shafts as i dont believe they make that much of a difference but that shaft felt just plain off to me.

I play the newer NW110 in my PW and 52, the older K's wedge shaft in my 54 and the NW120 which is the same as the Bold Shimada stock shaft but not DCR finish in my 60 and none of them have that imbalance. Played these same shafts in my Miuras as well and no imbalance.

I think it may have more to do with the shaft and not the head. I don't believe there is an imbalance in the club, just the perception of imbalance. By this I mean that the shaft weight and club head are at odds with another, the shaft in another wedge head may work fine, here I think it give the club an overall heavy feeling down at the club head. The weight is most noticeable on the downswing just prior to making contact.

I am playing an X flex graphite shaft 110g. Similar weighted and flex different brand graphite shafts in Crazy Toyos, RomaRo and Yamaha wedges.

Guest kbeasley

The weight is most noticeable on the downswing just prior to making contact.

Agreed, it is very noticeable.... And for me it is delicious!

My 52* bold is turning out to be automatic for any shot I need from green side chips, 5-10 yard pitches, long bump and runs, all way up to full swing shots from 95 yards out.

I have the same Shimada shaft in all my wedges because it does not add or subtract a single thing from the club head, it just does the job of delivering the club to the ball. All I have to think is "flop shot with the 60* Fourteen? Bunker recovery with the 56* Akira? 75 yard low punch with the 52* Bold?" Never have to think "this shaft makes it spin more, this one spins less, this one goes high, this one is lower" - those thoughts lead to misery for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad these are working out for some.

Have had mine for quite a while now and have played them exclusively.

Cant make them work.

Tried my trusty crazy wedge shafts which I have been using for eons, still a no go zone.

Cannot get 2 shots to do the same thing. Inconsistant is what I would say. Feel great, look great and occasionally work great

So back to the crazy or Yururi raw wedges for me

I am glad these are working out for some. Have had mine for quite a while now and have played them exclusively. Cant make them work. Tried my trusty crazy wedge shafts which I have been using for eons, still a no go zone. Cannot get 2 shots to do the same thing. Inconsistant is what I would say. Feel great, look great and occasionally work great So back to the crazy or Yururi raw wedges for me

I'm sorry this didnt work out for you Craig. As you know, I actually found the Bold rather good but not good enough to replace my MT DWDs. Toying around with some TB SDJ wedges now. Initial range impression.... a lot more potential than the Bold (for ME) and its stil as I got in a S200 which is damn heavy now that I am used to NW110 and a GP Tour Wrap grip which is too big for me... Try the DWDs or SDJ if you wanna try a new wedge. Not the latest but greater than the latest for me.

the bolds huh..... yea.. hmmmm still not 100% sure about them .

like craig ive been playing them a decent amount and more importantly practicing extensively with them VS a whole gamuts of others..

my findings are they are a very simple easy to hit easy to play wedge

that very rarely get u into trouble, but do get u out of BIG trouble , (esp deep )rough very well.

BUT for me..., they dont have that killer zap to them.

my more dynamic small wedges do. like th marus or fourteens or even t he SCOR. by that i mean i dont get them to go zinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng pow. curve right with heat. and stop an inch form the flag.

that said tho i do them to go bascially where they are told but i never think i m gonn chip in with them , nor get them uber close. and that. for me . lies the dliema. thye never make mistakes like my smaller ones can..... but they also DONT get as close as i can with the others.

the bolds are heavy big and clunky in comparison but they are SO So easy to play

i stil think for a conforming wedge set these are hard to beat for spin accuracy and asy of play. and if i had to have just 2 sets of wedges at this time id have these plus one of my my cheat wedge sets..

but having so many wedges these prob wudnt get airtime but for the fact they are new.

i wil ldef send a set back to oz to live bec that thin sole is really really good for clipping clean off hard pan.

and in shiiiiiiity wind with monaccos in em they hardly get of the ground. for me.., they do have a big advantge here when just getting onto a putting surface some days is worth the entry price alone.

yea im for them for sure.. BUT as a substitute .. they wont be my gamers.

• 2 weeks later...

wanted to share some initial impressions with you guys. just got my 60 delivered this morning and couldnt resist giving it a quick try in the garden :) the only thing close to a full shot i can do there is a flop shot (and pray i dont blade it) and this wedge feels very different but in a good way. what i mean is usually to me flops feel relatively weak to a regular shot but this one feels super solid and the feel and sound is like compressing the ball on a regular shot. the feel probably has to do with alot more meat at the top and the sound i really dunno, maybe it comes from those holes at the bottom trapping air or something but it just goes POP (seriously this is the best i can do), sounds and feels like well compressed shot and i dont think i'm compressing it much on flops. well anyway i dont recall anybody else giving this a mention, maybe just my perception. small shots more solid feeling than say miura 1957 wedges i play now but it feels like the ball sticks to the face for what seems like a very long time. small shots i certainly prefer miura feel better tho i like more solid feel on full shots, will see about that as well as what the ball actually does on the green. regarding the balance. i really tried hard to pay attention and if i can feel anything unusual but there was nothing out of ordinary for me so far. i didnt go very hard at flops in fact i dont like to hit wedges hard but when i get a chance to hit the range gonna give it another try just to see if i can feel anything different. shaft is x100 not the stock one. CoG is certainly shifted more towards the top. did a hang test on it side by side to comparable 60 shape/size/offset more traditional design with wider sole and most of the meat at the bottom and the difference can be clearly seen tho its not anything shocking. it looks nice to me, they did a good job hiding chunky top from address. there is a bit of offset which i can spot at address coming from miura. i dont have a problem with offset per se but prefer not to have or see any on a 60. looks and feels like nice grind too and feels like it plays at lower effective bounce (lets say 8 actual) tho my garden is hardly a proper place to test wedge grinds.

Glad you are enjoying in the garden.

After playing more with these wedges, I have gotten accustomed to the feel during the swing transition. The odd item for me is that on full swings I find distance to be inconsistent, but I am able to control distance very well with shots up to 85% of full...

i changed out the stock shafts with recoil 125 f4 8iron shafts to match my set and with just one range session i can tell they already feel better and are more traditionally balanced. i'll get them on the course on wednesday and give some more feedback.

I have some heavier 9 iron shafts on order with my builder to see if that stabilizes these on full shots...

yeah flops with it real fun dont think i hit anything that feels that way on flops. probably be a while til i can get out to the range/course but if i spot anything worth sharing here will write another post then.

Glad you are enjoying in the garden.

After playing more with these wedges, I have gotten accustomed to the feel during the swing transition. The odd item for me is that on full swings I find distance to be inconsistent, but I am able to control distance very well with shots up to 85% of full...

i changed out the stock shafts with recoil 125 f4 8iron shafts to match my set and with just one range session i can tell they already feel better and are more traditionally balanced. i'll get them on the course on wednesday and give some more feedback.

Is the stock NW120 DCR a tip heavy shaft or did it have a lot of tip weight in it? That may explain a bit of the original feel.

been playing mine recently 52+56 with monacco X

damn. these things go LOW.

ive ben hitting them prety well and ive noticed 2 very good things

firstly even on champ speed greens , these thins spin. i was playing o na course last wekeend that has a JLPGA event this weekend, adn they were SLICK... the 56* was gripping and sitting beautifully.

ive got some good confidence to go hammer and tongs at the lin with them , and they do the job slendidly.

seriously this combo is low low low low low, they are like throwing darts. nad now i know that stop dead.

second. rom tight crop these are great wedges. that small rounded sole is perfect.

really liking these things now.

Pleased to hear that Supo

Wish I had the same results

yea theres quite a few guys out there that arnt fans of them now.

initially i was of the same thoughts, recently ive just clicked with them , esp as the fairways are hard and firm right now. when it gets a bit softer , these might take a back set for a while. but, they are DEFINATLY going home to play in oz... i think they wil go really well there.

Is the stock NW120 DCR a tip heavy shaft or did it have a lot of tip weight in it? That may explain a bit of the original feel.

i was told the stock shaft was a 121g shimada but i don't know it's weight characteristics. they did have small 2g tip weights and we had to go a little heavier to bring the sw to where i wanted it. i still may end up with a bit of lead tape to get them perfect for me.

i am.

i'm still getting used to playing wedges with this much bounce but the thin soles are allowing me to make it work without grinding the bounce down like i typically end up doing. the feel is still a bit more crisp than i like but it's hard to argue with point & shoot performance.

i think i still want to give the george spirits a run...

i was told the stock shaft was a 121g shimada but i don't know it's weight characteristics. they did have small 2g tip weights and we had to go a little heavier to bring the sw to where i wanted it. i still may end up with a bit of lead tape to get them perfect for me.

Where do you put the tape? No concern of changing the CoG? :D