It is no secret of my love for this driver. If only it could cook and clean.

I think all double digit handicappers should at least give this one a go. As we know it does not work for everyone, but there is just so many people it does work for.

As one of our learned TSG'ers once said to me, 'its not short, its just not long". Heard that plenty of times before.

Still longer than most though. I put it down to the fact that we are hitting the fairway and hence seeing it at its maximum more often.

This thing just hates the rough unkempt stuff. It loves the low cut grass. A bit like me I suppose. It starts straight and likes to stay that way. Sounding more and more like me.

One fault with this head is that I struggle in strong winds with it. More so than any other driver. Accuracy is not hampered but distance is hammered.

Also I have found that some shafts do work better than others but it works with just about anything. Even supos tomato vine holders would be ok in this head.

I have 3 of these with different shafts and am happy to hit any of them. Though this one is my best.

Initially it gave me a mid to high launch but as my swing has improved, the launch is now low.

Hence my search for more launch with higher lofted drivers. It seems for me at least, that I get maximum distance with a lower launch.post-14107-0-43915400-1368436292.jpgpost-14107-0-94416400-1368436384.jpgpost-14107-0-56882000-1368436457.jpgpost-14107-0-15349200-1368436541.jpg

As you know, this too is my fairway finder Craig! I play the normal D1 though. My first attempt at this was a V-Spec 9.5 with LY02 SR.. the exact same setup as yours. When I was swinging well, it was great but when not, I could not generate enough spin and the ball just drops. Went to a D1 10.5 with a TJ46 6.2 and for me, it's a match made in heaven. a fairway machine. I found more distance as well, and roll, with this than the AF101 GD DI which it replaced but against my 435, it gives up maybe 10 to 15 meters but again, longer than the AF 101 for me and some of the of newer drivers. So yes, as your fellow TSGer said, "its not short, its just not long".

Try the Maxima when you can Craig. If you;re comfortable with the V-Spec in 9.5, get a 9.5 in the Maxima head definitely. For me, loft for loft, the Maxima launches a tad higher than the D1and for me with a slower mid 90s swing speed, I need more launch.

Playing a charity tourney tomorrow... My Okamoto will be in the bag.

I just put a LY 02 6.7 on my Gloire 10.5. If you young guys are also playing the 6.7, perhaps I should be playing a senior flex instead.

i'm using a royal deco in my 9.5 v-spec and i think the "it's not short, it's just not long" statement doesn't do the ryoma justice. it's a lower trajectory than any other driver i own but it's also consistently as long or longer than anything excepting the 435. i wouldn't necessarily say it's the most forgiving but rather the most accurate...which is why it finds so many fairways.

however, where this driver shines above any other is it's vertical gear effect. if you can get ball contact on a tiny spot a tad high and toward the toe, it will out distance anything in your collection, including the 435!!! until i realized what was going on, there were occasions were i would walk off the tee saying, "damnit, i just missed that one"...only to find my ball 360yds down the fairway! no joke, that was not a typo...360yds gps measured!!! now when i get that "just missed it feedback" i just keep my mouth shut and giggle to myself waiting for that wtf look from my playing partners. i wish i was good enough to do that more often!

Edited by chiromikey

@ craig, and i thot my vpec 9.5 was scruffy. I have it paired with crazy cb-46

Cant agree more, it finds fairways, very forgiving on bad mis**ts. Once topped it and ran 220 yards......

Waiting for maxima feedback.......

mine is also paired with the CB-46 which allows me to really attack the ball on the downswing with the knowledge this head shaft combo will find the fairway.

PLayed a charity tourney on Tuesday with this. I was swinging really well and dont think I missed any fairways. Was hitting long (by my standards) and really straight. I didn't have any birdies but lots of bogies so no way I could have won that stable ford. I was considering taking the TJ46 in this and putting it in my Maxima. After that game, there is no way I am touching this combo! Great great safety driver that is not long but not short either!