Post Your Ryoma Maxima Review Here!

It's all good, I wouldn't call any of the WBQ's low, they are all mid kick even the soon to be discontinued 75g version. I just noticed the 55g version flies a bit higher than the heavier ones.

Some hit it high, some hit it low. It's no biggie. All about finding the proper shaft and build for you and even after that who's to say our swings don't change enough for an adjustment in specs.

With the Ryoma i had a little trouble getting softer tipped shafts to work. The boron which I absolutely love in the XV & 388 plays a bit wild in the Maxima. That said some people got better results by tipping it 1/4" and some with no tip are loving it.

lets keep this thread on target please.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the Ryoma i had a little trouble getting softer tipped shafts to work. The boron which I absolutely love in the XV & 388 plays a bit wild in the Maxima. That said some people got better results by tipping it 1/4" and some with no tip are loving it.

Yup. I believe low tight launching shafts will work best in the Ryoma type D V or G.. I put the Boron in the type V and it reached high altitude too quickly and there was too much shaft lag.. IN the XV control and ball flight with the Boron was much better. I did put a tipped ROYAL DEC S in the TYPE V 10.5 and hit some bombs today, overall control was good. My summer project is maxing out the Ryoma Maxima to its fullest potential. I will try some unique setups and report the ongoing progress.

Edited by driverhead

Received both my Yam V203 tour and Ryoma Maxima 10.5 deg. Put diamana X X flex 60g in the Ryoma playing 45 inches, swing weight D1.5. Hit both against my gaming driver Yam V202 tour with Diamana X 70g stiff flex. Ryoma for sure more forgiving and found if you really give the beans you can feel the technology work. From the range session the Ryoma went the longest.

Too early to make decisions but the Diamana shafts are flipping brilliant!

Received both my Yam V203 tour and Ryoma Maxima 10.5 deg. Put diamana X X flex 60g in the Ryoma playing 45 inches, swing weight D1.5. Hit both against my gaming driver Yam V202 tour with Diamana X 70g stiff flex. Ryoma for sure more forgiving and found if you really give the beans you can feel the technology work. From the range session the Ryoma went the longest.

Too early to make decisions but the Diamana shafts are flipping brilliant!

I'd like to hear what you think down the road with these drivers. I'm flipping between the Yam 202 Tour and 203 Tour at the moment. Tried both SYD's, Romaro 460, and some others but don't want to plunk down another grand or so to just be disappointed. I think the Yam's are the best-feeling, straightest drivers I've hit and would just as soon leave well enough alone unless there's drastic enough difference in the length and forgiveness to get over the looks and feel of the Maxima.

I'd like to hear what you think down the road with these drivers. I'm flipping between the Yam 202 Tour and 203 Tour at the moment. Tried both SYD's, Romaro 460, and some others but don't want to plunk down another grand or so to just be disappointed. I think the Yam's are the best-feeling, straightest drivers I've hit and would just as soon leave well enough alone unless there's drastic enough difference in the length and forgiveness to get over the looks and feel of the Maxima.

For sure I will. I am in exactly the same place. My 202 is an awesome club - feel, flight, look. The 203 I have only hit with the stock shaft and I was very surprised how well it felt and went but I am putting the same Diamana shaft in as the 202 for B2B comparisons. Then some serious range time with all three and flight scope or similar to see the truth.

Okay now that I have two games with the Maxima, I can say something about my own playing experience with it. My 10.5 Maxima D is shafted with a Fire Express 55R at 46" at D1.5 which I have the same shaft on my Gloire and also the Premia. The feel of the face of the Maxima is definitely not Premia or ZR460 soft (a little disappointed in this respect). Actually it reminds me somewhat of my ex-S yard T388 and XT with its distinctive crack sound. It does launch slightly higher than the Premia of same loft and IMO slightly more forgiving. So far I do not see any distance increase yet due to no roll from wet fairway. However, I seem to find more fairway with it so it does build certain confidence playing it. I have yet to be able to bring two drivers on to the course for direct comparison since we play a money game so no fooling around with clubs.

Okay now that I have two games with the Maxima, I can say something about my own playing experience with it. My 10.5 Maxima D is shafted with a Fire Express 55R at 46" at D1.5 which I have the same shaft on my Gloire and also the Premia. The feel of the face of the Maxima is definitely not Premia or ZR460 soft (a little disappointed in this respect). Actually it reminds me somewhat of my ex-S yard T388 and XT with its distinctive crack sound. It does launch slightly higher than the Premia of same loft and IMO slightly more forgiving. So far I do not see any distance increase yet due to no roll from wet fairway. However, I seem to find more fairway with it so it does build certain confidence playing it. I have yet to be able to bring two drivers on to the course for direct comparison since we play a money game so no fooling around with clubs.

Hi Duff,

I think you are still playing your Premia with FEX 55? If yes, and if your experience is like mine, I think you may find the Type D goes a bit higher even in the same loft. Given that the Maxima I think is designed to have a slighty higher trajectory than the original D1, the FEX with its low kick and more active tip may not be the best shaft for this head? If you are inclined, try a mid kick tip stiffer shaft in your Type D. The WBQ55 albeit still in the honeymoon period seems to be working for me over 2 range sessions and a 9 hole round. I'll post my review after a few more rounds.

Edited by wmclarenf1

I have a Trackman session tomorrow comparing my current 5 drivers.

Trying to decide on an ace driver and hopefully reduce the collection a bit. :)

1. Ryoma D1 Maxima Type V 8.5* / Quadra WBQ Max 65 X

2. P-Tune PG-313 9* / Quadra WBQ Max 75 SX

3. Baldo VT511 9* / Diamana Stinger 70 S

4. Yamaha 4.6V RPM 9* / Waccine Compo GR88 DR-TS

5. Yamaha 4.6V RPM 9* / Quadra Fire Express 65 SX

Will be interesting to see how D1 Maxima will compare to the rest.

Stay tuned!!

I have a Trackman session tomorrow comparing my current 5 drivers.

Trying to decide on an ace driver and hopefully reduce the collection a bit. :)

Will be interesting to see how D1 Maxima will compare to the rest.

Stay tuned!!

that sounds like a fun day!

that sounds like a fun day!

Really interested in how the WBQ in the Maxima goes.

Anyone hit the GD GT shaft in the maxima yet?

Tj-46?

Royal Dec?

S-513?

CB-80?

Really interested in how the WBQ in the Maxima goes.

Anyone hit the GD GT shaft in the maxima yet?

Tj-46?

Royal Dec?

S-513?

CB-80?

J. I suspect of the 4 crazy shafts you mentioned, if you are playing the same loft as the original d1, and if you are a high ball hitter, the 519 and Cb 80 being lower launching may be better.

Start today on course to compare:

- Ryoma Maxima Type-V (9.5) / Crazy LY01

- Kamui Ray (10.3) / Nippon Regio Formula

- Kamui 456 / XCaliber Tour SL

Will also give asap Rombax Type X, VTS TourSPX Silver, Nippon Regio Formula and XCaliber Tour SL a try in Maxima.

Very interested to read about GD GT and FEX in Maxima.

Edited by sundowner

Okay! . I took all 8 of my drivers to the session

6. Kamui 456 10* / Tour AD EV-6S

7. Srixon ZR30 8.5* / Miyazaki Kusala Black 61 X

8. Titleist 913 D2 8.5* / Diamana S+ 62 R

I'll share details later once I get the data file from the fitter, but in terms of

what came out as top 3 for me were...... drum roll please.... :)

No. 3: Ryoma D1 Maxima + WBQ Max 65 X

Runner -Up: Srixon ZR30 + Miyazaki Kusala Black 61 X

No.1: P-Tune PG313 + WBQ Max 75 SX

Honorable mention goes to Kamui 456 + Tour Ad EV6 S

After the session, I immediately started to think about tinkering with the No 2 and 3 drivers so that it matches the

general profile ( weight, length, swing weight ) of the P-Tune.

I'll try and get the details later.

Okay! . I took all 8 of my drivers to the session

6. Kamui 456 10* / Tour AD EV-6S

7. Srixon ZR30 8.5* / Miyazaki Kusala Black 61 X

8. Titleist 913 D2 8.5* / Diamana S+ 62 R

I'll share details later once I get the data file from the fitter, but in terms of

what came out as top 3 for me were...... drum roll please.... :)

No. 3: Ryoma D1 Maxima + WBQ Max 65 X

Runner -Up: Srixon ZR30 + Miyazaki Kusala Black 61 X

No.1: P-Tune PG313 + WBQ Max 75 SX

Honorable mention goes to Kamui 456 + Tour Ad EV6 S

After the session, I immediately started to think about tinkering with the No 2 and 3 drivers so that it matches the

general profile ( weight, length, swing weight ) of the P-Tune.

I'll try and get the details later.

Would love for you to tinker with the 1 and 3, putting the WBQ in the Ryoma head. That will be my build once I get to the builder...

Edited by RIduffer

Current Maxima set up with the WBQ 65 X looks to be too long for me at 46" and it flattens my swing plane by approx. 2 deg. according to trackman

I was getting weird pulls on many of my shots. I choked it down about an inch and I was able to hit it much more solidly and consistently, but it was still launching too high.

What I am thinking of doing is to pull the Stinger out of the Baldo head and try it in the Maxima to see how it does.

Should help bring down the trajectory.

As for the PG313, I think it is perfect as it is now, no tinkering needed there.

This will be my ace driver for now.

The surprise of the bunch was the Srixon ZR30 ( No wonder Hideki Matsuyama still uses it!! ) the ball speed off the face on this driver was

consistently 3 to 5 mph above the rest at around 155 mph with range balls. It is a conforming head.

My plan is to swap the shaft a slightly heavier and perhaps more mid kick shaft compared to the Kusala Black 61.

As for all the other driver and shafts, they are going to the BST. :)

Start today on course to compare:

- Ryoma Maxima Type-V (9.5) / Crazy LY01

- Kamui Ray (10.3) / Nippon Regio Formula

- Kamui 456 / XCaliber Tour SL

Will also give asap Rombax Type X, VTS TourSPX Silver, Nippon Regio Formula and XCaliber Tour SL a try in Maxima.

Very interested to read about GD GT and FEX in Maxima.

First impression after one round with Maxima/Crazy LY01:

In contrast to old Ryoma D1 the Maxima V-Spec seems not closed at adress. Very good.

First shots were very high - but easy to adjust.

Pros:

- Easy to hit / forgiving

- Straight

- Better roll out as Ryoma D1

Neutral:

- Feel is good, but there are better feeling/sounding heads in the market.

Easy to feel compressing the ball.

Cons:

- Distance only about average

With Kamui 456 / Xcaliber Tour SL 50% of the balls landed in the same 5-7 yard area.

Kamui Ray with different shafts is at the moment longer.

So, will more dial in in Maxima and compare drivers with LM data (ballspeed..).

Hi Sundowner,

Are you playing the LY01NERO or the LY01 HOT BLACK? I ask because if its the former, it is supposed to be the highest launching shaft in the Crazy line up form what I read and may not be a good match for a highER launching head like the Maxima. I tried the LY01 HOT BLACK in my Romaro 460 HX in the past and it did help to lower ball flight in that head.

If you are playing the former and perhaps looking to change shaft, you may want to try a mid kicking stiffER tip shaft in the Maxima. I am finding that the WBQ which suits the profile I just mentioned works well for me in my Type D. Just a suggestion and my 2 cents.

Hi Sundowner,

Are you playing the LY01NERO or the LY01 HOT BLACK? I ask because if its the former, it is supposed to be the highest launching shaft in the Crazy line up form what I read and may not be a good match for a highER launching head like the Maxima. I tried the LY01 HOT BLACK in my Romaro 460 HX in the past and it did help to lower ball flight in that head.

If you are playing the former and perhaps looking to change shaft, you may want to try a mid kicking stiffER tip shaft in the Maxima. I am finding that the WBQ which suits the profile I just mentioned works well for me in my Type D. Just a suggestion and my 2 cents.

Hi wmclarenf1,

I have installed the original Crazy LY01 (not the LY01 Nero, not the LY01 Hot). As I have also a LY Nero sitting here and tried the LY01 Hot in the past (which seems is the highest launching of all Crazy LY shafts), it seems that all Crazy LY shafts might launch too high for Maxima.

I have sitting here some other shafts mid-kick or high-kick point. UST VTS Silver is mid kick, but not really tip stiff. Rombax Type X is mid-kick and for my taste not really tip stiff.

The Nippon Region Formula has a mid/high-kick point and it is maybe tip stiffer...

Will have a look at the WBQ specs as I would like to stay sub 60-62g. Thanks!

How do WBQ feel compared to Crazy LY shafts?

How do WBQ feel compared to Crazy LY shafts?

From my still limited playtime with it, I would say SMOOOOOOTHHHHH and very possibly smoother than the LY shafts and I have played LY01, LY01 Hot Black and LY02. Very stable for me as well. I find, so far that dispersion is good in the Maxima.

Edited by wmclarenf1

From my still limited playtime with it, I would say SMOOOOOOTHHHHH and very possibly smoother than the LY shafts and I have played LY01, LY01 Hot Black and LY02. Very stable for me as well. I find, so far that dispersion is good in the Maxima.

What flex do you play in Crazy and what flex in WBQ?

I'm a slow 93mph SS top of 95 mph. I play Regular 6.4 in Crazy non-RD and SR in Quadras. I find quadras play softer to Crazys.

.. same ss and same Crazy flex!-))

Looking at Quadras cpm readings they write on their site 242 cpm for SR and 250 cpm for stiff (7´´ clamp, 45 inch, 198g head). Meaning with 5´´ clamp round about 226 cpm (SR) and 234 cpm (stiff).

So the Quadra SR is like Crazy 5.9 and Quadra stiff like Crazy 6.4 - right?

Do you gain distance with softer flex? (as I´m a fan as play as soft as you can..)

Did you see wider dispersion with softer Quadra flex?

.. same ss and same Crazy flex!-))

Looking at Quadras cpm readings they write on their site 242 cpm for SR and 250 cpm for stiff (7´´ clamp, 45 inch, 198g head). Meaning with 5´´ clamp round about 226 cpm (SR) and 234 cpm (stiff).

So the Quadra SR is like Crazy 5.9 and Quadra stiff like Crazy 6.4 - right?

Do you gain distance with softer flex? (as I´m a fan as play as soft as you can..)

Did you see wider dispersion with softer Quadra flex?

I think quadra SR is definitely closer to crazy 6.4 rather than 5.9.

.. same ss and same Crazy flex!-)) Looking at Quadras cpm readings they write on their site 242 cpm for SR and 250 cpm for stiff (7´´ clamp, 45 inch, 198g head). Meaning with 5´´ clamp round about 226 cpm (SR) and 234 cpm (stiff). So the Quadra SR is like Crazy 5.9 and Quadra stiff like Crazy 6.4 - right? Do you gain distance with softer flex? (as I´m a fan as play as soft as you can..) Did you see wider dispersion with softer Quadra flex?

I find the Quadra SR to feel about the same as the 6.4. I am also a fan of play as soft as you can control and I do find distance loss when I play stiffer. According to Crazy flex chart, at high of 95, I can take SR. I tried LY02 in SR twice. OK, but felt a tad stiff for me and yes I think some distance loss.

Dispersion loss with softer Quadra flex.. so far with WBQ55 SR, its tight enough in the Maxima for me. Even when I try to step on it.