Post Your Ryoma Maxima Review Here!

Have the Maxima being built with a WBQ 75SX as we speak. Should have it for play on the 4th or 5th...

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, kudos to Doyle but that's not bad for you too, A with a driver and 52. I would be lucky to reach (down wind) that with my maxima and 9 or even a 8 irons.

I take it the 363 is yards and not meters.. :-)

Duff,

I have a friend who's planning a trip to HK. He was asking about golf shops. Do you mind sending me a PM on where he could visit for new and used as well and a tilt towards JDM.

Thanks.

Received my Maxima ... Type G, Crazy Royal Deco Superfast A shaft ... grip 25g winn grip. This club is super light. Play once in range and another on course today. My review is as follows,

1) Ball flight is high but got rid my balloning issue ...

2) Ball run a little more but not significant.

3) Average distance increased on good and bad hits. Seems like overall distance improved.

4) Hit more fairways than I can remember in the past, very forgiving.

a) MY question is how do I lower the ball flight with my current maxima specs without changing my swing? Thanks to Tario I got my middle weight kit, can I use it to lower the ball flight which believe lower ball flight will have more run.

b) Also I notice something puzzling to me, when I hit a draw there not much run but when I hit a fade the run is signifant. I hit a few fade with the same height, when it land the ball ran like more than 10 metres. Why is it so because i thought draw hit should have more run. Appreciate if someone can help

LMFAO....

Based on your avatar pic, looks like your daughter found it funny too...

Received my Maxima ... Type G, Crazy Royal Deco Superfast A shaft ... grip 25g winn grip. This club is super light. Play once in range and another on course today. My review is as follows,

3) Average distance increased on good and bad hits. Seems like overall distance improved.

a) MY question is how do I lower the ball flight with my current maxima specs without changing my swing? Thanks to Tario I got my middle weight kit, can I use it to lower the ball flight which believe lower ball flight will have more run.

b) Also I notice something puzzling to me, when I hit a draw there not much run but when I hit a fade the run is signifant. I hit a few fade with the same height, when it land the ball ran like more than 10 metres. Why is it so because i thought draw hit should have more run. Appreciate if someone can help

What is the static weight of the club when you say super light? My type D head weight is 194g and mated to a fire express 55 plus a 50g newon expert grip, the total static weight is 302g which I think is middle of the road since it is playing to 46". My loft is 10.5 and swing weight of D1.5. The flight is higher than my Premia but lower than my Gloire with the same shaft. What is the spec of your maxima driver?

I really think the problem is the Royal Deco, It's light and very soft compared to other shafts in the same flex. All my stiff shafts in 198g heads @45" come out to 252-257 cpm's. I've had stiff flex RC shafts in at 235cpms at the same setup. Some customers go up 2 flexes with the Deco. The Maxima already has higher launch characteristics than other hot clubs out like the 388, XV, RomaRo & GS. Also due to hosel design shafts typically play a little tip soft in that head anyway.

I love my Maxima in a tip stiff, heavier shaft that keeps me stable and lowers my ball flight a ton.

just get the CB80LS..problem solved! ;)

The first time hitting the Maxima Type V with Crazy Boron shaft, the feeling is completing different with my old CB46 with 913 D3. I have a few mis**t and over swing. However, after a few driving range session, it is very controllable, with longer distance. I wonder the shaft needs time to wear in?

Type v w/ crazy boron and I couldn't control it. Ball flight was very high, not to my liking. I have a GD BB6 and a CB80 LS on the way.

think the head has huge potential if you can dial in the right shaft. Could get costly but that's the fun of it, no? :)

Lowered the tee height a hair and lowered the ball flight nicely with the WBQ. Hit a couple of bombs today with it.

Type v w/ crazy boron and I couldn't control it. Ball flight was very high, not to my liking. I have a GD BB6 and a CB80 LS on the way.

think the head has huge potential if you can dial in the right shaft. Could get costly but that's the fun of it, no? :)

Keep the boron for another head. You will find a heavier tip stiff shaft does wonders for this head. I had the exact same issue that you did.

The first time hitting the Maxima Type V with Crazy Boron shaft, the feeling is completing different with my old CB46 with 913 D3. I have a few mis**t and over swing. However, after a few driving range session, it is very controllable, with longer distance. I wonder the shaft needs time to wear in?

Interesting.... I had a similar experience with my Type V with the WBQ.

I was hitting the ball all over the place the first week. By week 2 a little better but I was already looking into trying different shafts.

Yesterday, I hit it again at the range before changing out the shaft and I was hitting some straight bombs with it.

Still not "automatic straight balls" as I would like them to be.... but very good ball flight overall.

Got a used Basileus Z that arrived from Japan today and the shaft is epoxied in.

Will be hitting it tomorrow to see if I can get more control.

Keep the boron for another head. You will find a heavier tip stiff shaft does wonders for this head. I had the exact same issue that you did.

I guess different swing type can benefit from different shaft. I remember one member had previously given good comments on the Boron/Type V combination and highly recommended it. Appreciate if you can provide example on stiffer tip shaft that's good for this head and what kind of golfers can use the Boron/Type V combination? BTW, the trajectory is not too high for me but I am using a 9.5 head. I actually found the low kick with low torque plus low loft head provide good trajectory and control (due to the low kick and stiff shaft)!

I guess different swing type can benefit from different shaft. I remember one member had previously given good comments on the Boron/Type V combination and highly recommended it. Appreciate if you can provide example on stiffer tip shaft that's good for this head and what kind of golfers can use the Boron/Type V combination? BTW, the trajectory is not too high for me but I am using a 9.5 head. I actually found the low kick with low torque plus low loft head provide good trajectory and control (due to the low kick and stiff shaft)!

I think what many here sometimes do is rely too much on the feedback of others. While not entirely wrong, one needs to understand that one has not seen the swing of the reviewer and the swings can be totally different thus requiring different shaft and head types. I'm not sure if you are referring to jimmieboi's feedback back but if yes, have you seen the clip he posted? He seems a very strong player and my definition of his trajectory is mid low. He also seems to be a faster swinger and hence a mid low trajectory may be better. He is the ultimate judge of that. For slower swing speeds like me, if we hit in that low a trajectory, a sure fire loss in distance as we need higher trajectory for more carry and hence distance. We digress but I hope you get my point.

On your point where low kick low torque low loft is best for you, that be not be the case head to head even if all are low loft as different heads have different cg, launch and spin properties. Also, if you wanted low loft, you should have gone for a 8.5. 9.5 is not low loft.

Edited by wmclarenf1

I always wrote "read at your own discretion" before each review as a warning not to believe everything I write. What works for me might be bad for you. I also have CB 80 ls noir and I can't lift balls up in the air with that shaft. Crazy boron is perfect for me in terms of forgiveness (easy launch) and distance gain. There are other shafts like Bangvoo 787, Diamana X that may yield further distance but they are not as forgiveness as the boron. So still Type V in Boron is perfect (for me at least).

I always wrote "read at your own discretion" before each review as a warning not to believe everything I write. What works for me might be bad for you. I also have CB 80 ls noir and I can't lift balls up in the air with that shaft. Crazy boron is perfect for me in terms of forgiveness (easy launch) and distance gain. There are other shafts like Bangvoo 787, Diamana X that may yield further distance but they are not as forgiveness as the boron. So still Type V in Boron is perfect (for me at least).

Nothing wrong with your review JB! You just shared your experiences and what works for your swing. It seems obvious but sometimes (and I have done that several times too) we forgot something as basic as swing differences :-) I wish I had your swing speed and impact but I simply don't and don;t think I ever will and given our near polar opposite swing profiles, what works for you is very unlikely to work for me.

I think what many here sometimes do is rely too much on the feedback of others. While not entirely wrong, one needs to understand that one has not seen the swing of the reviewer and the swings can be totally different thus requiring different shaft and head types. I'm not sure if you are referring to jimmieboi's feedback back but if yes, have you seen the clip he posted? He seems a very strong player and my definition of his trajectory is mid low. He also seems to be a faster swinger and hence a mid low trajectory may be better. He is the ultimate judge of that. For slower swing speeds like me, if we hit in that low a trajectory, a sure fire loss in distance as we need higher trajectory for more carry and hence distance. We digress but I hope you get my point.

On your point where low kick low torque low loft is best for you, that be not be the case head to head even if all are low loft as different heads have different cg, launch and spin properties. Also, if you wanted low loft, you should have gone for a 8.5. 9.5 is not low loft.

I think you have miss my point. The first thing I said is "I guess different swing type can benefit from different shaft" and trying to give my experience, and asking for examples on other shafts. I should also say using lower loft 9.5 and you don't need to tell me what is lower loft.

I think you have miss my point. The first thing I said is "I guess different swing type can benefit from different shaft" and trying to give my experience, and asking for examples on other shafts. I should also say using lower loft 9.5 and you don't need to tell me what is lower loft.

Dude, not trying to show you up or anything like that. No need to get off your rocker.

Instead of experimenting with new shafts on my Maxima type D, I stick with my tried and true Fire Express 55. Now that I know how this combo works, I just might be tempted to try another shaft if I can find a good deal. Always want to try the Diamana B series in a 50.

After playing some rounds with Maxima V 9.5 / Crazy LY01 R I must say, the shaft is not the perfect match for the head (and I really love the LY01 - played different types during the past 5 years).

Too wild and launch is too high.

As someone said we should look more for a tip stiffer shaft ? Maybe yes. I´m sure the head needs a shaft with lower tip TORQUE.

Next I will give the Nippon Region Formula a try, because the shaft has a great feel in Kamui Ray, lower trajetory, more tip stiffness and overall lower torque.

Edited by sundowner

this is a great example that its about swing type and setup and not swing speed. if i remember correctly, you have a faster swing speed than me(105-110) and i can launch the cb80ls noir perfecly with no issues and i dont tee the ball extremely high just about half the ball above the top line and i think what helps my launch is mainly with my setup(just inside my front foot and i hit up on the ball.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my 9.5 Maxima V the other day and put a Tour AD BB6-s in it. At setup, it looks perfect. I was afraid it would be closed, it's not. The head doesn't look near 460, it hides its size well. It's incredibly forgiving, I still can't tell where one shot I hit was struck on the face out of about 30-40 swings. The balls went lower than expected from what I had heard, maybe cuz of the low launch shaft, but not too low. A hair lower than my 10* Yamaha Tour stock. Average distance was probably a little longer with the Maxima but good shots with the Yamaha were clearly longer. I probably prefer a driver that when struck well will go a little longer as opposed to all of them going about the same. Sound was not too bad on the Max and feel was crisp but not too much so. Verdict is still out.