S-Yard XV Fairway Wood Review

gocchin

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondering how the S-Yard XV 3 wood would compare to the Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta, anyone know?

I've been using the XV 3 wood for a few months now and I find the stock Rombax shaft to be hit and miss for my swing. Overall it feels kind of dead. Very stable but doesn't seem to come alive.

I will be putting a blueboard in to it this weekend so hoping that combo goes well.

I posted a more in-depth review in another thread here somewhere, and guys here know how I feel about these S-Yard woods, but I continue to be amazed by the XV's. Huge distance, rope like accuracy, missile like flight, and incomparable feel off the face whether from the fwy or off the tee. IMO, these woods are in a class by themselves, and as is my style, they will be in my bag a long, long while.

I've played the Exotics, and IMO, the XV's are what the Exotics aspire to be.

I, too, swapped out the stock shaft until I found my nirvana, but once set, I haven't looked back, I look forward to every time I pull this club.

I posted a more in-depth review in another thread here somewhere, and guys here know how I feel about these S-Yard woods, but I continue to be amazed by the XV's. Huge distance, rope like accuracy, missile like flight, and incomparable feel off the face whether from the fwy or off the tee. IMO, these woods are in a class by themselves, and as is my style, they will be in my bag a long, long while.

I've played the Exotics, and IMO, the XV's are what the Exotics aspire to be.

I, too, swapped out the stock shaft until I found my nirvana, but once set, I haven't looked back, I look forward to every time I pull this club.

Richard what shaft are you using with the XV FW?

It's one I don't think has ever made an appearance here, called the Hiskei Wave.

I love the XV, It's unique and special. It's the 388 fairway wood imo shouldn't have been stuffed into the XV line up.

but... S-Yard isn't looking so healthy right now as a company. Mr. Kobayashi has resigned and the brand has laid of most of their staff.

No new products are on the horizon, we think this could be the end. So get your Kobayashi inspired 388's & XV's now while you can gentlemen.. When the Chinese bought SYD they drove it into straight into the ground in less than a year.

I'm bummed and hopefully Mr.K does not retire from the industry after this.

That IS a drag... Very glad I grabbed two T388's and two XV's. If Kobayashi-San does retire, these will be legacy clubs, IMO.

• 1 month later...

I love the XV, It's unique and special. It's the 388 fairway wood imo shouldn't have been stuffed into the XV line up.

but... S-Yard isn't looking so healthy right now as a company. Mr. Kobayashi has resigned and the brand has laid of most of their staff.

No new products are on the horizon, we think this could be the end. So get your Kobayashi inspired 388's & XV's now while you can gentlemen.. When the Chinese bought SYD they drove it into straight into the ground in less than a year.

I'm bummed and hopefully Mr.K does not retire from the industry after this.

I'm starting to feel worried after ready this as I have been waiting for my S-Yard XV 3 wood over 2 weeks. I sure hope they are ready to send mine out.

Just picked one up used. Looks brand new!

wow i had no idea Kobayashi left Syard! pure shame. glad i picked up a backup T388!

Yup, how do you spell "collector's items" ?

Man.. so much going on and hard to keep up. And Collector's item it will be. I like the 3 wood alot. Although, it doesn't go down as one of my all time favorites. It is all around a good club, I like it for the appearance and control it had.

And.. sorry for some delays we've had on the shipments. I got in contact with a new rep for SYD today so hope things will star to move out quicker! ;)

Hi,

I'm currently a XV Driver user and am looking for a FW. I'm would like a compact head and shallow face, and am not sure if the XV FW fits the bill. I understand that the volume of the head is 190cc, which seems big, does the footprint of the physical product looks big? Tks.

As others have commented, the XV fwy woods are closer in relation to the t.388 driver than the XV driver family. They're small and stealthy like the t.388, and also monster straight and long.

i wouldn't say collectors items but they are good pieces, quite long and hot off the face.

probably my favourite among the syard line of products. dint care for the drivers but the

woods were indeed special most especially the #5.

Just pick up one and hope to try it out this weekend....

Seem to hear most people having the #5 rather than the #3... any particular reason?

the five is VERY strong and long and high.

u get a lot of distance with it and its very easy to hit consistantly well. its a lovely looking club as well.

there are so many 3 woods that are eitther driver replacements or out out fwds that the mkt is split. buit a 5w is a 5 wood and nothing else this one just gets tons of distance.

a very good shaft in this, and extra weight can really make this set sing!

Ok, that's a very interesting comment.

My current XV driver is with Diamana B and I'm looking at the Thump for the FW.

My current setup is Driver - 3W - 5W - 4HY(22 deg) and am considering to change to Driver - 3W - 3HY(19 Deg) - 4HY(22/23 Deg)...

I use current 3W for tee-off once or twice a round in my home course.

Depending on how much I like this 3W, I might stick to the original setup with a XV 5W.

• 2 weeks later...

fist time ive gamed both the 3 and 5 on saturday

3 has the diamana X 70x in it , the 5 the B 80s

played a very long 7200 yard A_grade track here so def needed both FWDs.

well.i know the 5 intimatly. the 3 is the new kid on block with this shaft.

been gaming the crazies with roddio tours agan recently, those ae just suiting me SO well ATM

well about the 3....... its SUPER punchy. low and straight as a die.

off the tee its magnificent. its plenty long doesnt want to be arced around the course . its really just for supreme accuracy for stronger swingers. builder hot melted it to get it heavier, which made it a bit deader in feel but really got the weight spot on, heck of a job on it.

i ht it off the deck on the par 5s 3 times. middeld it twice nad top toed it once.

off deck its low. BUT not that low. its perfectly accepatable ,the egg spoon is WAY lower.

distacne was terrfic. not going to say tiwas a record setter. but its def no less than the "others" and its prob a bit ooomphier.

i think the diamanaX shaft in it doesnt s o it any distance favours, but it certianly does for control

this is a heck of a control 3w. the FEX was longer for sure, but it was also whippier.

in wind this is a world beater. on nice calm days the FEX wud blow this out the water.

horse for courses here.

the set in the bag is an automatic no brainer , no fear of bad shots or topping of scuffing due to shape, they look tops they play tops

only negative thought ofr me is the sleeknessof them.

ive been playing fuller FWDs of late and i prefer that shape more.

if these were the only 2 i had tho 100% no probs at all.

they rock.

i just prefer the fuller look of the RC yamaha and crazy right now

i give these things 9.9/10