Lexus vs Merc  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Lexus vs Mercedes Benz

• I like Lexus Better!
    • Mercedes makes the Better Auto!

Been a long time fan of Lexus, Have owned a couple Mercs as well. To me and just my 2 cents Lexus feels like a numb driving experience which is what I like most about the ride. I don't see that as a negative at all for this type of car, It's what we want. The Merc on the other hand is like riding on a floaty cloud. Like gooey carmel soft sort of ride. The way the 2 cars are designed are night and day difference. The Lexus is totally contemporary & modern while the merc is more classy & traditional imo.

One more modern the other a bit more classy and traditional.

lexus-ls-460-f-sport-exterior-L46-662_1024x576.jpg

VS

2014-Mercedes-Benz-S-Class-12.jpg

Is the mercs interior over the top?

2014-Mercedes-Benz-S-Class-interior-front-seats-dashboard.jpg

Lexus:

lexus-ls-460-f-sport-interior-L46-726_1024x576.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the luxury level, I'm still German all the way but the Jag XJ I think has been improved tremendously with the recent models. Very agile for its size and the 5.0 (even the NA is very responsive). The Lexus is refined.. vey refined but I can't help thinking a rebadged Toyota. Strange on my part I know. The Merc S-Class is very floaty but hard to deny that at the limo range, they still are the leaders... for me at least.

if lexus ever offers anything that can compete with an amg i might consider them. until then they're a great car but not on the level of mb.

This new merc is awesome. Can't wait for the AMG version as my #1 gripe with the new S the interior. looks like both brands had a different target in mind.

Lexus appears to have gone for younger person that likes tech and modern aesthetics, it's obvious in their styling. The thing I don;t like about the merc is how old this interior looks. The AMG should fix that with carbon and alacantra everywhere.

The lexus rides better no doubt, the Merc has more power and feels more expensive. I'm comparing the new LS 460 F Sport to the current S550 btw. excited to see the 2014 merc in person.

if lexus ever offers anything that can compete with an amg i might consider them. until then they're a great car but not on the level of mb.

No more F series for Lexus. They are doing the whole F-Sport thing while MB has always had AMG. Love me some AMG. Just feel more aligned with the design of the Lexus. The MB exterior is amazing but I look inside and it's not laid out properly sorta designed awkwardly although it looks super classy. some people love that style.

Honestly I would buy AMG for its body kit, interior & options. 600HP in an S class still makes for a boat. S65 is a waste, S63 is prob the sweet spot.

i've never pretended any 4 door can handle so i can live with the boat comments. but a boat that can spank most high end sports cars in a straight line while massaging my back is what lured me in many years ago.

i've never pretended any 4 door can handle so i can live with the boat comments. but a boat that can spank most high end sports cars in a straight line while massaging my back is what lured me in many years ago.

I think this is typical of most Euro makes in the limo section. All will be a tad floaty and have quite some roll in cornering due to the weight from your S class (even AMG), 7 series, A8L, XJ, Quattroporte but with the AMG charged engine, of the S8 or the 5.0 SC of the XJ, in a straight line, I think the only ones that can really keep up, you need to start looking at the exotic level with Porsche, Ferrari etc. That said, of all the big lumbering boys, I actually find the XJ the best handling in that size category. Rear wheel drive too is tat is a must for you. They have released a 4WD 3.0 SC model both in standard and LWB and I think that will be interesting

Personally I love my S6. Fabulous to drive and great interior tech.

Personally I love my S6. Fabulous to drive and great interior tech.

S6 is a beast as well and very under the radar! I took this around Sepang (actual F1 track in Malaysia) a few times.... straight line its quick but for cornering, a lot of roll but again, the S6 was not built for this purpose.

S6 is a beast as well and very under the radar! I took this around Sepang (actual F1 track in Malaysia) a few times.... straight line its quick but for cornering, a lot of roll but again, the S6 was not built for this purpose.

True abou the roll on high speeds. But for every other situation the car is a monster, lots of power and great tech to give a high end feel.

i begged our local audi dealer to get an rs6 avant out here and even told him i'd figure out how to get it registered. what a waste not to bring that car to the u.s.! i think next year's e63 will be at the top of my list since they brought back the 5.5 litre motor (this time with twin turbos) and will offer it in awd. i'll easily have that up near the 800 reliable hp mark!

True abou the roll on high speeds. But for every other situation the car is a monster, lots of power and great tech to give a high end feel.

Sorry. I meant the RS6 and the Advant variant! Great note when you go WOT. Was like a beast out of hell on the straight and as i often left it late into the hair pin, locked up the brakes quite often. Not sure if they were ceramic but thank God they held up or i would have been in the gravel.

Haven't tried the S6.

Edited by wmclarenf1

i begged our local audi dealer to get an rs6 avant out here and even told him i'd figure out how to get it registered. what a waste not to bring that car to the u.s.! i think next year's e63 will be at the top of my list since they brought back the 5.5 litre motor (this time with twin turbos) and will offer it in awd. i'll easily have that up near the 800 reliable hp mark!

Wow! 4wd e63! That will be some ride. I kinda like the c63 amg but the power to weight on that is scary.

Audi, I like the R8 V10+ & the RS6 Avant, they need the Avant in the states! Not a fan of awd but an RS6 avant would change that.

But im talking big boys. I saw the new Maser QP in person and it's massive and long! Doesn't have the polish of the merc or lexus it was obvious they made it for the Chinese market.

Wife currently drives this 13 LS F-Sport, I had the itch to get her into a new S63 but I'm afraid they will become too common as the previous model has.

The sales person at MB said tons of current S class owners are in line waiting on the new one.

Audi, I like the R8 V10+ & the RS6 Avant, they need the Avant in the states! Not a fan of awd but an RS6 avant would change that. But im talking big boys. I saw the new Maser QP in person and it's massive and long! Doesn't have the polish of the merc or lexus it was obvious they made it for the Chinese market. Wife currently drives this 13 LS F-Sport, I had the itch to get her into a new S63 but I'm afraid they will become too common as the previous model has. The sales person at MB said tons of current S class owners are in line waiting on the new one.

The new QP looks very nice. I was tempted to get one about a couple of years back but discovered that for the hot humid conditions here, Masers plastics don;t hold up too well in these conditions and actually become sticky and don;t last long at all. Not sure about yours but I'm hearing from owners here that reliability is also not fantastic (never mind the best) and as it was to be a daily beater for me, that was a big no-no. Unfortunately, the A8L I went for is not proving too good reliability wise from an electronics point of view. Too much tech crammed in.

Your right, Maserati doesn't have very good quality and yes many issues. The engine sounds great but what I want most is technology and quality. I have had zero problems with our GS then LS but every euro i've had since i started driving has had some sort of issue or beyond. Also lexus service is awesome.

I really love that RS6 Avant!

TourspecGolfer... I thought you would be going for a Lexus LFA!!!

TourspecGolfer... I thought you would be going for a Lexus LFA!!!

I have yet to see a live one here in Hong Kong.

Edited by Duffer19

Saw just once in an event at Lexus here in Hong Kong ... but as you mentioned, havent seen one on the streets. It would be quite a match for the loads of Ferrairis and Lambos that we frequently see around.

In my opinion you cant beat the Lexus for outright reliability.

The mercs win for outright luxury and coolness.

The Audis, well they are like the inbred cousins.

The LFA well I have driven one. It is what it is. Fast and useless

Sound wise, the Lexus ISF is pretty darn hard to beat

I know a guy who has an LFA also just about everything else. Hands down he loves his LFA the best. It doesn't have the best 0-60time or quarter mile but its the most refined, advanced tech, quality made and least problems.

Yamaha also made its soundtrack!

In my opinion you cant beat the Lexus for outright reliability.

The mercs win for outright luxury and coolness.

The Audis, well they are like the inbred cousins.

The LFA well I have driven one. It is what it is. Fast and useless

Sound wise, the Lexus ISF is pretty darn hard to beat

Thats cool you drove the LFA. Must have been nice. Your IS-F is a beast!

I love the new IS F-Sport digital gauges inspired by the LFA.

lexus-is-f-sport-2014-gallery-is-1314_1024x576.jpg

I never got the AMG thing on the big Benzes. Recently sold a CL600 that ran like a bat out of hell (TT V12) but had all the comfort you could ever want. AMG just puts a little more power in the engine (except for that V12 I had) and brakes and some stiffer legs and people think they have a sports car. Please. If I want a car that big, I don't want to bounce over RR tracks. I recently picked up a '13 CLS550 after being told the AMG CLS were done being made for the year. I'm glad I didn't wait. 90-95% of the performance with a better ride. This one was a special one designed for the sales manager that was painted white, with red brake calipers, and red and black interior. When he told me about it I said "no, thanks", but when I saw it I drove it home that day.

I do like the AMG versions of the C- and E-class, and sometimes the CLS, but the S and CL, not that much. And the G? Please, AMG on a G-class is an oxymoron.

At chance of some pictures of your new ride Miura?