Lexus vs Merc  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Lexus vs Mercedes Benz

• I like Lexus Better!
    • Mercedes makes the Better Auto!

I test drove the LFA when it first came out and have no idea why I didn't pull the trigger, it was actually super comfy inside for me and I loved the interior on the whole, it was fast, drove nicely and sounded sexy... I've actually never owned a lexus though, again, dunno why. I've owned a few mercs though, the only one I currently have is the c63 amg which is the most fun thing to drive there is, it just feels like a toy, its the one car I consistently want to go fast in, a friend of mine had an ISF a few years back and it sounded REALLY cool, as I've just returned from a 2 year sojourn maybe Ill get rid of the c63 and get an ISF, any chance for pics Chris? I've had a lot of great exotics and every one Ive bought I think to myself "man this is gonna be a daily driver" but since I've got back to the states I've driven a Panamera and the c63 almost exclusively..... similar situation before as well... time for something new

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know whether the merc or Lexus is better but glad I was in a big Lexus LS460 today. Got in a fender bender on the highway (more like a 8 cars pile up and I am #5) and I was able to drive away under my own steam. Couldnt say that for the three behind me, a BMW 3, a Prosche 911 and MB C class. I think I am going to buy some more clubs now

post-8082-0-50875500-1373107714.jpg

post-8082-0-73059500-1373107820.jpg

Thanks and actually no one was hurt in the 8 cars except I got a bit of whiplash being hit from behind twice. Any good lawyers on this board?

Edited by Duffer19

wow thats a wild story btw nice 460!

Whiplash sucks but ya never know sometimes Injuries are strange, my father in law had limited range of movement in his shoulder while golfing, he fell off a ladder landed on his shoulder and got his full range of movement back... Now playing to a 2hcp.

I hope the whiplash adds 15 yds to your drives and heals soon.

Lexus all the way. The quality, reliability and fit 'n finish of Japanese cars is superior to that of Euros.

At chance of some pictures of your new ride Miura?

At chance of some pictures of your new ride Miura?

post-15148-0-70630100-1373130399.jpgpost-15148-0-18959000-1373130426.jpg

Threw in a pic of the wife's sled. She loves it, really smooth. To me drives like a yacht with the XL wheelbase.

post-15148-0-64669500-1373130450.jpg

Thanks for the photo

Sure is a nice car. cant beat the Mercs for coolness

Don't know whether the merc or Lexus is better but glad I was in a big Lexus LS460 today. Got in a fender bender on the highway (more like a 8 cars pile up and I am #5) and I was able to drive away under my own steam. Couldnt say that for the three behind me, a BMW 3, a Prosche 911 and MB C class. I think I am going to buy some more clubs now

Wow ... that is in Hong Kong (I guess) ... scary stuff... and glad you walked away not getting hurt. Wondering if it was one of those crazy Mini Bus that caused the accident!

Lexus proved to be a good choice!

Yesterday I test drove this:

a75eb22ee81511e291de22000a9e023a_7.jpg

Went to they Wynn to get my seat fixed on the mas and they asked if I wanted to heat test a couple of pre production Ghibli's so I gave it a spin.

The car was covered inside with padded material I could barely see the dash, duck tape everywhere, electronic batteries and computers in the passenger seat and both rear seats then this nauseating wrap they put on it.

Maserati is taking it a whole different direction than other luxury car makers. can't comment on the features as this car was obviously a test mule but it's a 4 door sedan with an almost unusable tiny back seat yet the car is huge. For the design emotion they had to slope the rear like that which kills any space in the back. BUT this car grumbles & gurgles, it's loud, its prob the best handling and most brutal luxury sedan I've ever driven. I drove AMG's and the new M5 dispite the AMG's having more HP this mas feels like how AMG's need to be. Mas is going for a totally different angle on this that I can now appreciate. It's not quiet efficent luxury, It's loud, sexy, and emotional.

Sat in the new QP as well. love the size, love the sound.

Anyway the Ghibli is stupid expensive for what it is. Don't know how they expect to sell 25,000 units. It road super solid. Powerful.

Was invited back to drop off my car and take the proto for another day. no thanks, not fun driving around with no air con when its above 110*

• 3 weeks later...

That's smoking..... Are they available? or is this like a future release?

Looks pretty cool

Having an ISF, I am certainly waiting in anticipation.

Be interesting if they keep the same specs or tone it down.

That concept coupe look fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

That coupe looks delicious! I'm with you, though. Never really liked chrome rims. Seems to be a west coast thing. Everybody on Cali has 'em while they're hard to find here in Dallas. And it's not like Dallas doesn't like bling.

some pretty big news came out over the weekend on the upcoming lexus RC-F. It will cost over 100k!! This car is supposed to battle the M3 which will be known as M4 as 3 series has been discontinued but how could it be more than 30k+ more expensive than it's rival?

Since the LFA was completed and no longer being produced the special division is going to hand build these RC-F's, carbon body panels, the best and latest tech that lexus has to offer. I'm really excited about this one. I think that the guys who argue about 0-60 times and HP #'s will say its overpriced while those who appreciate tech & design will be all over this one.

so once again it takes lexus an extra butt load of cash to compete with it's rivals? i'm not sure that's saying anything impressive about it's technology.

Edited by chiromikey

so once again it takes lexus an extra butt load of cash to compete with it's rivals? i'm not sure that's saying anything impressive about it's technology.

Based on that logic would you take the Nismo GTR over the F12, LaFerrari, Huyara, P1, or Buggatti? or would you take an 8 second VW bug over everything?

What do you mean by compete? None of the competitors will have the reliability, fit & finish, materials, dealer service, carbon panels, digital dash, or safety options the lexus will have but if you mean getting to 60mph in .2 seconds quicker then you prob got a point.

Driving is emotional not analytical.

Based on that logic would you take the Nismo GTR over the F12, LaFerrari, Huyara, P1, or Buggatti? or would you take an 8 second VW bug over everything?

What do you mean by compete? None of the competitors will have the reliability, fit & finish, materials, dealer service, carbon panels, digital dash, or safety options the lexus will have but if you mean getting to 60mph in .2 seconds quicker then you prob got a point.

Driving is emotional not analytical.

driving is emotional, and that's a point you don't have to make with me. i guess if you had told me the lexus was made to compete with something along the lines of an amg black series i would have been impressed...but just compete against a plain m3 and not out do it in every category, not so much. i also think it's hard to discuss reliability when lexus has barely been in the super car business for a couple of years. as far as safety, i don't know much about this new lexus, but i have watched a friend walk away from a near 100mph head on in his amg so i don't think many of the high performance luxury brands are missing anything there. dealer service has much more to do with factors beyond the brand and sometimes can be as subjective as the feel of a golf club.

either way, please don't think i won't appreciate what lexus is bringing to the table. i just wish they put a slightly higher emphasis on performance at their price range.

I Don't mean to argue, I just love cars. I also love AMG's and the black series is just mental! Beautiful, AMG creates beasts dare I say best engine makers in the biz. They are german muscle cars and not at all a good comparison with something like a Lexus which isn't going for the same vibe. The comparison for me based on personal driving experience would be the mustang GT500, or perhaps the camaro Z28,new stingray or viper. I think those are the better comparo because of how they drive wild with in your face lurid slides.

They (Toyota) started making super cars back in 1967 with the 2000GT that went toe to toe with the best Porsche at the time, they dominated the rally scene with the GT-Four, and then the Supra was near the top of the food chain for a very long time especially in the aftermarket scene so in terms of reliability Toyota/Lexus have always had their act together much more so than other brands by a wide margin. LFA's aren't catching fire like 458's nor do they have as many issues that mercedes has and that has a lot to do with using much better transmissions, parts and technology. That said I would take a 458 over just about anything.

No car is safe at 100mph not even an escalade, imo your friend got lucky.

I do expect the RC-F to rival the black series, it sure better at this price. What I like is its a totally different car, instead of taking an existing car and heavily upgrading it the RC-F is not the IS. There will be an RC normal spec around 40k. The current IS-F is the match up against the M3, but at this level you can easily pay 40k more for .2 difference 0-60 with traction control on, turn it off the Black series suffers to a point its scary to drive fast. In the normal C63 they don't even allow you to turn it off and for good reason. The Black C63 comes in at 125k+ that should be right around where the RC-F sits fully loaded and I'm willing to bet Lexus can do very similar numbers with nearly 150 less hp, efficiency. It's also going to have cylinder deactivation and whats exciting about the RC-F is that a lot of the LFA technology will trickle down and I assume be improved in some ways. These are things that you can't get elsewhere. You can get the AMG experience many different ways but not the LFA experience.

I've driven the C63 and the power is just ludicrous, not as useable as most other cars, I'd say wild yet insanely fun. If thats what someone wants flat out go AMG. For the driver imo the Porsche Cayman is the way to go and for a purist the Subaru/Toyota FR-S/86 is the bee's knees.

AMG is probably my favorite engine maker for raw brutal power but if only they could mate it with a quality PDK and lighten it up they could have a real winner, It needs refinement as making a car go fast with gobs of power isn't much of a challenge.

Dealer service... Lexus is #1, MB is #10, thats 3 below the luxury segment average nation wide.

Last thing I'll say is Jeremy Clarkson, he may be a tool but he is an enlightened tool..

13-01-29-lexus-lfa-top-gear-page.jpg