Fujikura MCI in a Hybrid

wmclarenf1

I accidentally (long story) got in a Fujikura MCI 60S 1 iron shaft which I have since shafted in my PRGR EGG 3I+ 19*. It previously had the Crazy Light Iron shaft. The MCI 60S was shafted without any tipping and setup to play at 40 3/8 inch finished length grip on and D0 Swingweight.

Had a range session with it and and 18 hole round with it. Used it maybe 5 times during the round today and save 1 tee shot with it which I pulled left (was pulling so many today but part of a slight swing tweak), all the rest were straight and LONG! One of them I hit off the deck on a last par 5 over 200 meters (approx 220 yards) and straight. Now I realize 200 meters with a 19 ain;t long for some here but for me its huge.

Feels very smooth and has a very nice controlled kick to it. Dispersion seems very good (except when my right wrist gets over active) as well.

I originally wanted to try the MCI 60 for use in my new Crazy Protos. I think I'll get in a single MCI60S iron shaft to try and if its as good as it is in the hybrid, they could replace the Quadra 652is I was intending for the Protos.

If you;re looking for a hybrid shaft replacement, try the MCIs. I think they have a specialized hybrid shaft but I think the long iron shafts do just as well. They come in weight cats from 50 all the way to 120 which I think may have a 1 iron length as well but am not sure.

Not what materials are used in the MCI and if they have high modulus carbon content like in the Crazy and Quadra iron shafts but they are worth a look at the price they are at.

Pleasantly surprised how the MCI turned out.

I am one who typically uses iron shafts (especially graphite) to go in my utilities to match the feel and performance of the shafts in my irons. They work well as long as you don't need to go overly long.

MCI would be great in a UT as you discovered.

Thanks for posting this, wmc. I have one coming to me to test in my irons vs. the Project-X's I'm currently using, which tend to feel heavy sometimes for me late in rounds, and I definitely prefer lighter shafts in hybrids. May give that a try, too.

Thanks for posting this, wmc. I have one coming to me to test in my irons vs. the Project-X's I'm currently using, which tend to feel heavy sometimes for me late in rounds, and I definitely prefer lighter shafts in hybrids. May give that a try, too.

If you happen to find 60 (weight is 67) too light, the 70 or 80 or even 90 may work.

I currently have a 50g shaft in the Cally X-proto driving iron I'm using, and love the light feel. I ordered the Yonex Zero from Tario earlier this week though, and may experiment there after I try the 85 it comes with. Thanks again. I always look forward to your shaft reviews.

Have a MCI 120X in a Zodia wedge. It performs admirably in that setup. Think you will enjoy it when you have it built WMc...

These MCI's are really something special. I'm so happy with mine that I'm having my two main wedges reshafted with them in an 8-iron setup. Can't wait.

I can really see them working well in a hybrid especially one that would be an "iron" type hybrid. That would be stellar.

These MCI's are really something special. I'm so happy with mine that I'm having my two main wedges reshafted with them in an 8-iron setup. Can't wait.

I can really see them working well in a hybrid especially one that would be an "iron" type hybrid. That would be stellar.

apols for silly question, but how do you set 8i length up into wedges ? Should it not be 9 ?

apols for silly question, but how do you set 8i length up into wedges ? Should it not be 9 ?

No, not a silly question. You can go 9 or 8. I went 8 on the advice of Gary. Keeps the trajectory down and allows me to go at them hard when I need to pick up a few extra yards. However I can also dial it down when I'm looking to finesse it a bit more. As far as the touch shots around the green it works just as well also.

For me, I've found I get better results with this route than the traditional wedge shafts. Better in terms of responsiveness.

No, not a silly question. You can go 9 or 8. I went 8 on the advice of Gary. Keeps the trajectory down and allows me to go at them hard when I need to pick up a few extra yards. However I can also dial it down when I'm looking to finesse it a bit more. As far as the touch shots around the green it works just as well also.

For me, I've found I get better results with this route than the traditional wedge shafts. Better in terms of responsiveness.

makes sense now. Thks. I think i will try these mcis on the irons first before going down to wedges. Just feel the lack of wgt on wedges may put me off a bit

makes sense now. Thks. I think i will try these mcis on the irons first before going down to wedges. Just feel the lack of wgt on wedges may put me off a bit

I hear you. I am having my wedges changed over to these so I'll be able to report about that very topic once I get them back. Look for the report in a couple weeks or so. I do have my PW with the MCI and I haven't had any issues. Its been great so far.