Mizuno irons

TauBetaPi

Anyone knows the difference between the Mizuno irons, e.g. MP69, that are sold in Japan and US? Are they both forged in Japan?

The cosmetics of the heads are slightly different. The biggest difference is the shafts. Shafts in Japan are much weaker than that in the U.S. Ive owned a few JDM clubs and r-flex felt like a senior or ladies' flex.

I'm pretty sure 950GH and S200 and KBS Tour that also come from Mizuno and are sold here in Japan are the same flex as in the US.

There are many JDM brands that are stiffer in flex than US shafts.

In the case of some OEM stock shafts, many of them have much higher torque which translates into more feel and many dub this as whippy. But again every brand varies.

As for the difference between JDM and US MP-69, if you are talking about Yoro vs off the shelf US models, there is difference. Retail off the shelf are mass produced, less attention to detail and workmanship. Yoro, each head is handpicked and worked on by a top Yoro craftsman, checked many times during the process for accuracy and workmanship.

You can see the processes here:

US retail models do not get the same treatment.

Agree. If youre going Mizuno JDM, you might as well go Yoro.

Is the JDM MP-69 yoro forged in Japan?

Is the JDM MP-69 yoro forged in Japan?

I believe it is. Last I knew, all Mizuno's forgings were done by Chuo in Hiroshima. I know that more recently, Mizuno has the finishing of their irons done in China but the forging is still done in Japan. Theyve been working with Chuo for over 40 years and I cant seem them ending that relationship.