S-Yard 3-wood: another S-Wonder

RLL33

Given the way I fell hard for the S-Yard T.388 driver this year, I was defintely anxious to get my hands on the new XV 3-fwy wood. My relationship with an old R-7 3-wood has turned, over the years, into something of a challenge, as many clubs have tried -- and failed -- to kick it out of my bag. It's firmly been the one club that would not go JDM in my bag.

But after spending the holiday weekend with the XV, I can say that the R-7 now sits next to my bag here in my office. It still calls to me, but there is something Kobayashi-san is doing with these S-Yard clubs that just clicks for me.

First of all, for T-388 lovers, this 3-wood looks like a mini-me T.388. Here it is sitting right next to the stealth bomber itself:

post-15743-0-41946400-1373232433.jpg

The look is a match at first sight, and even though the face is not the same titanium, the thin maraging steel gives off the same flexed punch that T.388 contact keeps me coming back for. Sound, as Tario has aptly described it, is deep enough to tell you you're getting the same rebound effect that powers the driver, and the flight is straight-on penetrating like the T.388, and yes, this thing is long, too.

My first go around with it was the range. First swings did feel a little stiff or heavy to me, and I have to admit the R-7 was still smiling when I got home. But I put the same light weight (51g) Hiskei Wave carbon shaft in it that I've been using in the R-7, and headed back to the range. And it was then that this thing really began to pop for me. Net at the range is at 230yds, and my hits started climbing well up above the mid-section in height. And still the trajectory was missile like and straight. Not a trace of ballooning even as the ball found the top part of the net, which for me is a very long 3-wood.

So... took it to the course. And cracked it off the first tee to where my pre-t.388 driver used to leave me. And found it both accurate and long the rest of the day. It was great off good fairway lies, and I found I could get the ball up in the air like the R-7 if I moved it a little forward in my stance. And I even hit a low flying missile from the rough at the end of the day on 18 when I sometimes feel tired playing the course's toughest Par-5 coming in.

Here are a couple more views of Stealth-3 as it's now being called here:

post-15743-0-44174400-1373233245.jpg

post-15743-0-19916100-1373233263.jpg

My thanks again to Tario and K-san and the S-Yard crew! My R-7 has even nodded graciously to me, and I've thanked it for being the longest running club in my bag ever. But at least on the long end, S-Yard now rules for me.

The XV will be in my bag for the near future. After 1 round and 2 range sessions I am very pleased. The T.388 is my current gamer and I feel the XV fairway will complement it very nicely. Hopefully my impressions about this club will continue as they are now.

Great write up!! May I ask what shaft is in that XV FW?? I find that most FW shaft plays a tad too heavy to my liking. Stealth bomber is best accurate description for the S-yard woods. Not as explosive as other drivers but it will bring you where you never have been before...it's super long ( t388 shafted with CB46 ).

Great write up!! May I ask what shaft is in that XV FW?? I find that most FW shaft plays a tad too heavy to my liking. Stealth bomber is best accurate description for the S-yard woods. Not as explosive as other drivers but it will bring you where you never have been before...it's super long ( t388 shafted with CB46 ).

The stock shaft is again a Rombax from Fujikura specially made for the XV series. The Rombax FW is 3.2* of torque and around 65g with a mid/high kick. Overall clubweight with the Rombax is very healthy at over 335g. Which creates stabilty.