Piretti and Lajosi Putters : What's the deal?

wmclarenf1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my new putter form Lajosi

DD201 Damascus.

Black Oxide finish,

350g, 70* lie, 3* loft

post-15908-0-62571800-1375029287.png

post-15908-0-54543600-1375029314.jpg

Edited by akapur

I like the thick face on that Lajosi, bet it feels great.... I've found the finishes on his customs the most interesting and unique. Never seen one up close or hit them, but they look great in pictures.

I like the thick face on that Lajosi, bet it feels great.... I've found the finishes on his customs the most interesting and unique. Never seen one up close or hit them, but they look great in pictures.

I also prefer a thicker appearing face. It does feel good. Will post when I put into place this week

I've been looking at Lajosi pics online and maybe its the reso or how they are taken and I could very likely be wrong but the refinement in terms of finishing for minor stuff like engraving and paint fill for Lajosi seems.... less than GF? Not commenting on feel and performance as I have not putt with Lajosi ever.

I've been looking at Lajosi pics online and maybe its the reso or how they are taken and I could very likely be wrong but the refinement in terms of finishing for minor stuff like engraving and paint fill for Lajosi seems.... less than GF? Not commenting on feel and performance as I have not putt with Lajosi ever.

The finish is very nice, maybe not as high end as GF, but much better then many other custom putter makers. Feel is very soft, good feedback. Kari can do almost anything you need him to. I have a Yamada Imerial, Mura 350, Piretti, yet the Lajosi is the nicest looking one. Will post when I put it into play this week.

Gold's is probably going to be the absolute top of the top end, it's reflected in the price, I haven't seen anything else out there.... at all.... that puts as much attention to detail as GF does. There may be other brands/makers with more options in certain respects, but as far as what he can do to actually improve the way a putter performs I don't believe that there is anyone else out there quite as particular or as driven by perfection. That said, I have seen others that I find to be at least as attractive if not more so in certain respects, but purely looking at the attention to detail each piece is getting, GF is probably going to be tops.

Interesting question

I have personel experience with the Piretti, Lajosi,and Byron from you list. I will add in Whitlam Putters.

As far as finish goes the Piretti and Lajosi are the best finished products. Feel is very subjective, but for me the Piretti and Lajosi are the softest feeling putters with the Whitlam a far third. Performance I have had all but the Lajosi for a while and use the Piretti and Whitlam the most. Different milling on the face of both effects the amount of roll so depending on the green speed I pick one over the other. The Lajosi looks great and in the house so far rolls nice. Not as deep a milling on the face but the 3 degrees of loft will offest that to create a true roll. Finding a truely great putter is a hard task and very personnel to each individual. My next putter will probably be a GF.

Thanks again for sharing Akapur. Any experience with Machine putters?

No, I have seen one in person but not used it. When I did see the one my friend owns, I was not impressed enough to want to inquire more about it. Being impressed by the look of a putter as you know is very subject, the craftsmanship is in the fine details and I think the putters you are looking at all fall into that fine quality category.

Ashim

Edited by akapur

I've been reading up and have found some other indie putter makers :

Gold's Factory

Lajosi

Machine

Byron

Piretti (do they count?)

Any others?  And anyone actually played several of these?  If yes, perhaps you can rank them based on performance, feel and finish?

Machine

•    My gamer and has been in the bag for almost 2 seasons. M10 (Anser style) Damascus Face Balanced

o    This putter is in my bag for a reason. It is a fully functional putter with tremendous feel and accuracy. I prefer putters that are a little more firm than carbon steel and a little softer than stainless steel.

o    Machine is 100% custom and given the materials that I had them use, the putter was not cheap ~2k USD. I worked with Chris on the initial order and with Dave, the owner, on the design of the putter.

o    The finish is relatively durable but I must admit that the putter does require care. I use a silicon cloth on it after every round and polish it every now and then with carnauba wax.

o    Roll off the face is tight and I think it has to do with the grooves that Machine uses.

Byron    

•    Prior to ordering from Machine, I originally wanted Byron to make me a Damascus putter. Unfortunately Byron would not make one.

•    However, I have owned a stainless steel 008x from Byron and liked it. However, I bought it pre-owned and the loft was a little higher than I would have liked. I prefer 2.5* and I think the Byron was around 4.5* which didn't work well for me and the greens I play on.

•    The SS, obviously, required very little maintenance.

Piretti

•    I was buying Piretti when he first got started which was around 3 years ago. I have had two cottonwoods.

•    Carbon CW2: Great little putter. The increased weight really helped my stroke and I like the elongated head. I actually sold this putter not too long ago as it was just collecting dust.

o    This putter had a great finish to it and required ZERO maintenance.

•    SS Limited Edition CW2

o    This putter is still on my putter rack. It is the same as the original CW but in stainless steel. I take it out from time to time and it is a nice change.

o    Overall the CW2 is a little less consistent than the Machine and it boils down to the balance of the putter. The Machine is face balanced whereas the CW2 probably has a toe hang of around 7 oclock.  

In general, I believe Machine is my putter of choice just based on the fact that they were 110% willing to work with me on any design modification that I had. Byron, unfortunately did not want to make a putter and Piretti is for the most part off the rack. If you are going 100% custom Machine first and then Byron.

If you would like some pictures please let me know and I can snap some of the Machine and Piretti.

Edited by mr.haha

Damascus M10. This putter amazing in the sun

JRD_8709_zpsad3c6127.jpgJRD_8707_zps6d4792b1.jpg

JRD_8706_zps7446d876.jpg

This is the face of my Lajosi Damascus putter very little milling gives a crisp contact and the loft adjusted to 3 degrees.

post-15908-0-83640500-1375573430.jpg

Thanks haha. I got machine to run me a quite for a Damascus.... I was quite shocked at the price. Not sure I would pay that for a machine. Just me of course.

How is that vmg mill?

yes the price is not cheap at all depending on the modifications and model that you choose. I LOVE the VMG deep milling because it seems to get the ball rolling very quickly. Byron is around the same price as machine for a damascus putter. other than machine, byron and lajosi i wasnt able to find another reputable putter make that could deal with damascus.

Edited by mr.haha

Nobmontana has a great looking Damascus Piretti in BST. Really sweet looking. Piretti did a run of Damascus putters for the PGA show. $2500 each sold them all...

The $2500 ones were all Damascus Steel not an insert.

Gold's does a Damascus insert. Honestly, a Damascus steel doesn't really appeal to me very much in a putter, it can be pretty if done right with high quality materials, but I'm still kinda hazy on why they use it at all, what's the claim as to what it does to the putter? Multiple makers are using it and I highly doubt they're all getting ingots from the same place, so the composition will generally be different from one maker to another, can anyone who has been using the Damascus putter fill me in on what exactly using this material changes vs. standard carbon steel(s20c, s25c), and Stainless Steel(GSS, SUS303)??