Credit Card Perks, Airlines & Hotel

We have many professionals on the site, many who travel constantly. I'm addicted to airline & hotel status and stress every year on how to maintain my status. It's become a game/addiction.

wondering what hotel, airline programs you guys use.

I'm a firm believer that Hyatt Passport provides the best program for hotels while Delta Amex Reserve + company expenses are the best way to get the most from airlines.

what do you guys do? Any status junkies out there?

I travel frequently for work and pleasure so I might be able to help. Even though I think Delta airline is horrble, I agree with Delta Amex Reserve. They have great services through Delta AND Amex. You can also look into Amex travel program where you can use any airlines that Amex is affiliated with. The service through Amex is great for airlines.

For hotels, it depends on what you are looking for. most people are looking to get a free nights through the program. I only look for upgrades/arrival services/services during the stay. I usually rotate between Hyatt Gold Passport and Marriott Rewards for staying at JW marriott around the world.

I absolutely love the Amex Platinum Card. Use for business and accrue points use for any airline and access to airport lounges. They have a special program that gets you amenities like extra days or late checkout in some of the best hotels in the world.

I know people who are bonkers about card points and things like that..... I've never even thought about it. I use the Ammex Centurion concierge for sports/concert tickets and hotel reservations, its a great service, they'll go pretty far above and beyond the call, but as far as getting points for purchases or hotel stays/airlines, just not something I worry about.

I travel frequently for work and pleasure so I might be able to help. Even though I think Delta airline is horrble, I agree with Delta Amex Reserve. They have great services through Delta AND Amex. You can also look into Amex travel program where you can use any airlines that Amex is affiliated with. The service through Amex is great for airlines.

For hotels, it depends on what you are looking for. most people are looking to get a free nights through the program. I only look for upgrades/arrival services/services during the stay. I usually rotate between Hyatt Gold Passport and Marriott Rewards for staying at JW marriott around the world.

Looks like you know your stuff, I hate Delta like you but nothing beats the Amex Reserve. Then there is the issue if you travel with someone getting bumped off the top spot because they don't carry status as well. We just finally made Diamond on delta and only now is it starting to pay off. nothing much at silver/gold/plat except the occasional upgrade. but now its a lot more frequent. sad part is you must buy a full price ticket to use points to upgrade your travel partners seat. which makes no sense if the discounted rate is 1600 for a ticket and the full fare is 5000 why not just buy business class. frustrating, did i write this post to vent? haha.

nothing beats the Hyatt especially at Diamond. Does Marriot status match you? Just looking for other people who are as nuts as I am, doing millage runs and dumping hotel stays to reach status. Totally worth it imo.

Looks like you know your stuff, I hate Delta like you but nothing beats the Amex Reserve. Then there is the issue if you travel with someone getting bumped off the top spot because they don't carry status as well. We just finally made Diamond on delta and only now is it starting to pay off. nothing much at silver/gold/plat except the occasional upgrade. but now its a lot more frequent. sad part is you must buy a full price ticket to use points to upgrade your travel partners seat. which makes no sense if the discounted rate is 1600 for a ticket and the full fare is 5000 why not just buy business class. frustrating, did i write this post to vent? haha.

nothing beats the Hyatt especially at Diamond. Does Marriot status match you? Just looking for other people who are as nuts as I am, doing millage runs and dumping hotel stays to reach status. Totally worth it imo.

Best airline frequent flyer program is united (premier 1k or global services), followed by American followed by delta if you are Diamond (given I am NY based and where I travel for leisure, I prefer Delta ), below Diamond, its not much use. Also, not much use for redeeming for international flights.

BA is a good program, but only if you redeem on flights other than BA (Cathay, American).

Criteria is ease of getting business class redemption on flights at the lowest miles. The biggest bang for the buck is to use miles to redeem the business class or first class international tickets, not domestic flights (exception is Delta, whose redemption cost in terms of miles are substantially higher than others).

Have managed to achieve lifetime status at a couple of airlines and Starwood. Have held the highest levels at times with most hotel chains.

If points accrual is your game then you need to affiliate card/hotel/airline in which case the Delta/Starwood/Amex connection is best.

Personally the points are nice but it is upgrades and ease of travel that float my boat. So pick the airline with the most options out of your local airport. For me now, US Scare and, soon to be American. On the hotel front it is the most comfortable bed. As such, Starwood was the first to focus on that and have been loyal there for 18 yrs while forcibly maintaing gold status a few other chains.

Status matching, most will, but not to their highest levels. They will frequently set a high bar for accelerated attainment to the highest level while giving you the layer below.

What's the best credit card for airline travel (points)? I use Amex Platinum, easy access to Delta, but, alas, Delta no longer has a hub in Dallas and I hate having to go thru other cities. Had the Centurion card for a year or two, but didn't take full advantage of its' steep price. They offered it free for the first year, but then, DAMN! Looked into a Citi (?) AA VISA a while back that could be redeemed for America Airlines as they're based in Dallas and you can get anywhere non-stop. But they only allowed $25,000 per year to be transferred. Hell, that doesn't even cover my TSG expenses! Anything better?

The centurion 100% has the best concierge, as good as a stand alone concierge service.... I begged my pops to add me on his account when I got out of high school, I wanted that black Ammex sooo bad, lol. I can't remark on the benefits and perks, but honestly it isn't worth the cost anymore regardless, besides benefits and such, the big thing about that card is you could spend as much as you like, but around 2009 after the big financial meltdown they started making it a huge hassle, you would have to call them to clear purchases after reaching a certain amount or if you were making a large purchase, at the time my family used it for ALOT of monthly business purchases that would add up very quickly and then I would find myself with an "unlimited" charge card I would have to call in all the time to use 3/4 of the way through every monthly cycle... My entire family doesn't use it as much anymore except for basic day to day purchases and the concierge for concert and sporting event tickets, reservations, etc. I've heard from others that it's gotten better in the past year, but I cant remark as I haven't ran up a bill large enough that would in the past require me to clear purchases.

You have the best card money can buy. Still waiting for my invite, have completed all requirements that I was told qualify us but no letter as of yet.

If its an airline status game I don't think the black will do the trick. Yes milage on any airlines but the good stuff that matters like MQM's you don't get any.. nadda, zilch. But anyone with this card should be able to afford any flight they want.

I have another card for flights mate.... a very special card.... :tsg_smiley_crazy: idk why I put that smiley face thing there, never used one before, just seemed like a good idea.

The centurion 100% has the best concierge, as good as a stand alone concierge service.... I begged my pops to add me on his account when I got out of high school, I wanted that black Ammex sooo bad, lol. I can't remark on the benefits and perks, but honestly it isn't worth the cost anymore regardless, besides benefits and such, the big thing about that card is you could spend as much as you like, but around 2009 after the big financial meltdown they started making it a huge hassle, you would have to call them to clear purchases after reaching a certain amount or if you were making a large purchase, at the time my family used it for ALOT of monthly business purchases that would add up very quickly and then I would find myself with an "unlimited" charge card I would have to call in all the time to use 3/4 of the way through every monthly cycle... My entire family doesn't use it as much anymore except for basic day to day purchases and the concierge for concert and sporting event tickets, reservations, etc. I've heard from others that it's gotten better in the past year, but I cant remark as I haven't ran up a bill large enough that would in the past require me to clear purchases.

You can buy whatever you want with the Platinum card too, assuming you've shown the ability to pay for big balances. I've bought 150k+ cars with it just to get the points. No pre-set limit on it or anything. The Centurion card was great with the concierge and whatnot, but it just seems that there was always some kind of restriction on all their "free upgrades" and perks that didn't work with my needs/wants.