Fairway Woods Dilemma

ndrews55

Am confused on selecting a fairway woods for my game. Currently a 12 handicappers and been searching for my fairway woods for quite sometimes.

Tried the 2010 RC woods but it seems that It's too light and I couldn't feel the club head. The same happens to the 2nd generation Egg even after re-shafting. Although I still prefer mid shallow head profile instead of the deep face.

Thinking of a few brands like Romaro Type R, JBeam TiR, XV or the new Egg but still couldn't decide.

Any comments appreciated.

Edited by ndrews55

the s-yard xv is a good one ive got one with quadra fire express and that goes plenty well.

certianly not too light.

older royal colls arent light iuse them mostly these days (again) no issues wit hthem

yamaha heads...

the original egg.....

You want the new RomaRo.

I have a 13.5 shafted with a GD Z9003 Type 7s shaft. I also have an RC TourVs 14 shafted in a GD P9003x. While both shafts are very similar in wieght I find the Romaro to be much heavier and you'll definitely feel the head. The RomaRo feels great, simply pure joy to hit. However if you'll notice the RC still sits in my bag at the moment and that's because that club has always been money and I can work it a little better at the moment. I hit both equally the same length. I'm thinking of stepping down the shaft in the Romaro to a Type6 like in my current driver. But that's my own issue, for you; I would highly reccommend the RomaRo. The only issue you may have is with face height but I don't know, that's always very subjective. If you are worried about it, go with the SYard.

Yamaha XV FW

Consider the Ryoma ... easy to hit

I cycle between the S-Yard XV and Ryoma F3. Both great and easy to hit.

My personal rankings in order.

RomaRo Type-R

George Spirits Mono FW

Ryoma F3

S-Yard XV

For my score of all 4 the Ryoma is best. It only goes straight with the FW80. It's got more carry than all the others with a hair less roll.

Most distance (for me) tied George Spirits with Type-R.

Best feel Type-R & George Spirits.

S-Yard gives same rocket trajectory as the t388 driver. Soft face lets you really hear and feel the shot. The Ryoma seemed very harsh to me, both in sound and feel, and for the same effort, didn't produce the distance I get from the S-Yard.

RomaRo Type-R

George Spirits Mono FW

Ryoma F3

S-Yard XV

For my score of all 4 the Ryoma is best. It only goes straight with the FW80. It's got more carry than all the others with a hair less roll.

Chris is the FW80 giving you better results then the stock shaft. I have been considering changing the shaft on my F3.

Thanks for all of your input. Just placed an order for S-yard XV.

Am quite certain that I made the right choice. Been hunting for the perfect #3 wood for quite sometimes. Switching from USDM to JDM.

Had to agree with RLL33 on his comment regarding F3. Tried to hit my mate F3 a few shots before and it feels harsh/hollow. I assume it might bethe shaft configuration.

@Chris : I am also interested with GS mono but it is not listed in TSG store atm.

Interesting, ndrew, as I was in a similar position before I found the S-Yard. Had been using an old TM R7 3-wd that was the only USDM club left in my bag for years because I couldn't find a better replacement, although I had tried many... Will be interested to hear how this goes for you, but I'll bet you'll be happy with it. Best of luck, --Richard

I had trouble choosing the right FW too..most jdm FW are too upright (draw bias), closed face angle, light and most are in 15 degree ( too much for me). I've found a holy grail and it's Custom Kamui Ray. Built 2 degrees flat, 2 degrees open at 14 degree loft. Shaft with driver shaft Bangvoo 787, heavy built as a FW should be for stable flight. So you might consider this FW on your list too.

I have heard of so many good things with S-Yard that just purchased the GT Type S Fairway 3 and 7 Woods in stock SR flex.What should I expect when they come in?

Edited by Henry

I have heard of so many good things with S-Yard that just purchased the GT Type S Fairway 3 and 7 Woods in stock SR flex.What should I expect when they come in?

Pretty good woods, deeper faced and nice feel. I played the stock stiff shaft for a few rounds I would rock this club with an 80 gram shaft.

Chris is the FW80 giving you better results then the stock shaft. I have been considering changing the shaft on my F3.

The FW80 has been my go to in FW's for years now. FW80 + F3 is still an all time favorite of mine. Equal to the Type R. It just goes straight!

Thanks for all of your input. Just placed an order for S-yard XV.

Am quite certain that I made the right choice. Been hunting for the perfect #3 wood for quite sometimes. Switching from USDM to JDM.

Had to agree with RLL33 on his comment regarding F3. Tried to hit my mate F3 a few shots before and it feels harsh/hollow. I assume it might bethe shaft configuration.

@Chris : I am also interested with GS mono but it is not listed in TSG store atm.

The XV is awesome! The GS is just released now so it will be in the store shortly. I hear ya on hollow F3, it's the result that counts for that club. It's still hollow with an FW80 so it's not the shaft although it feels much more stable and sturdy.

RomaRo Type-R

George Spirits Mono FW

Ryoma F3

S-Yard XV

Did you try the new egg yet? I would like to hear your thought. I almost go for the Type-R tour select but here comes the new eggs. It just shakes up my mind a little bit. My thought is - If the 15* egg could go as long as 13* type-R does, why not? It's lighter, smaller, and cheaper. I hope the lighter weight won't make it less consistant. Otherwise Type-R might still be my best option.

Did you try the new egg yet? I would like to hear your thought. I almost go for the Type-R tour select but here comes the new eggs. It just shakes up my mind a little bit. My thought is - If the 15* egg could go as long as 13* type-R does, why not? It's lighter, smaller, and cheaper. I hope the lighter weight won't make it less consistant. Otherwise Type-R might still be my best option.

Type R is more traditional style while F3 & Egg's are not. I have not tried the new Egg waiting for Crazy to build it and send it over now.

the overall distance champ is still..................................... he original egg spoon. 13* (diamanaB shaft.)

nothing i have hit is longer or more consistantly long and straight esp from the fairway

the next by a whisker is the ryoma f2 and it only by a whisker.

prob bec it goes higher thant he egg.

the XV is in between the long distance fwd champs and the traditonal deeper feaced ones.

it took me a while to get it worked out but it does a great job from both fairway and tee.

the quadra fire express in it is a wonderful match as well, can NOT over power this.

think ull like this club a lot . not much not too like, it might just take a bit to break in

Stew, just bought an original Egg in 13 with an ad di. I think I look in your bag for guidance.

True, theres not much that can beat the old original Egg.

Hope it goes well for you

jimmy.. its 13* but it not that low.

craig has a quadra fex in his and hes monsters his thing, unbeleivebale to watch where it goes every shot .

ive got the diamanaB , in mine and i swear blind by it .

i struggled with the fex in htis head bec of slice , something i dont get with the B..

but craigs swing is differnt to mine and he gets it long and striaght every shot.

id wont say yah or nay to others, butt these 2 i have seen the best of and will attest to

the kaili in it is a bit lower. but just as strong.

the crazy fw...., nope way too low for me in 13*

same asthe GD bb.. too low.

Edited by supo67

seems like mygreenaliem and I are the only

ones that enjoy the epon 202HT.

Doesnt anyone like the epon 202HT? I know the

regular 202 is soso and nothing special but the ht

is a gem.i feel its the most under rated unappreciated

FW!

just started using one again and solved the shallow

depth problem by teeing it lower. find this more forgiving

than the ryoma and egg( which ive both owned)