Slighter or Byron?

wmclarenf1

I've heard nothing but good things about the finished products of both, I've owned a few Byrons in the past, but have never ordered one custom. I hear the custom process with Byron is a bit haphazard and just not very well done in general, cant argue with the fact that he makes great putters though. A standard Anser shape stainless putter, I would go with Byron, a more specific custom job or something particularly special and/or unique, I would go with Slighter.

Well I've played Byron's anser's and they're very good, but most of the reason I made that statement was because a standard stainless anser shape would be the easiest order to place with him, you would probably be able to find one already made. If I had my heart set on doing up a custom putter, didn't want to compromise on anything, have an easier time with the order, and I had to pick from between those two, it would be Slighter. I ordered the Mokume putter from Gene Nead and tweaked it a bit, shorter heal to toe length, deeper engraving in the Silver insert, with my specs as well(offset, length, loft, etc.), I received the putter in about a week and got progress emails basically every day, if I'm going to order something truly custom, that's the sort of experience I want. There are really 3 makers I would choose between for a job that's totally custom from top to bottom, Gene Nead because my first experience with him has been excellent, Slighter as I've seen some of his work on the net and have heard nothing but good in every respect, and Lajosi because he truly will do ANYTHING and his pricing is considerably lower than other makers.... James Ingles would have been in there as well but he's since moved on from doing his own thing to having all of his orders go through Scratch Golf.

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on how he does the neck, If he is taking a single piece and welding around it cool. If he starts with a single piece then cuts the neck off and welds back on it's more for looks. If it's a multi piece putter they weld or screw because they have to.

You can make 2-3 multi piece putter heads out of the same amount of material that it takes to make one single piece putter.

I can get you a blank head at a good price to begin modding.

As for engraving, I just can't stand hand stamping.