Being born and raised in Hawaii and now living elsewhere I notice many of my friends going to visit but never getting to really experience the islands the local way.

On the other hand tourists get to see a side of Hawaii that locals don't, Waikiki no matter how overplayed is a fantastic and beautiful place to stay. Surrendering to the corny luau's, drinks with umbrellas, hula dancing and fire shows is necessary in order to have a good time.

I think the tourists need to experience what locals do while the locals need to experience what the tourists do. In Japan many Japanese don't climb mt Fuji, while the expats & foreigners do. In Hawaii same thing applies to Diamond head crater.

My version of Kauai is playing golf nearly every day usually at Wailua, Kiele or Prince Course, afterwards head home to load the truck & get the dog, we usually drop our cages into the river for prawns on the way to the beach and grab them at night, 4x4 to the fishing spot + collecting firewood along the way, we fish from shore, if it's big bait over 1lb swim it out which is scary this year as tiger shark attacks are high. Something about fire & a dog running around just sets the mood.

Other cool things like picking opihi or night tsubo from the rocks which is not for the faint of heart, tie'ing Ika (squid) to a stick and sticking it in the sand to catch sand turtles which we use as bait or fry and eat like pop corn. Oh and drinking, lots of drinking. There's so much more to see than the norm or what websites & travel agencies will direct you to.

How are the courses? top notch! Easy to get Tee times, more beautiful than Oahu imo, My favorite is Prince Course shot 98 from the blue's which is a good score here for me. It's tricky.

On non golfing days usually wake up for a dive then drive to one of nearly a hundred and secret secluded beaches, most you will find no one at.. zero. Local food is outstanding, tourist food is decent but overpriced. Gotta know where to go and what to order I guess.

Enjoy the pictures and feel free to drop me a PM if anyone decides to visit Kauai. I've even got a friend who can take you & guests around to discover secret spots for a couple hundred bucks per day.

Kiele GC

gallery_18_5_146524.jpg

Where the river meets the ocean

gallery_18_5_117685.jpg

This is what we do everyday after golf

gallery_18_5_91993.jpg

Tsuiyoka's aged hamburger steak for lunch

gallery_18_5_31038.jpg

Queens bath deaths mostly tourists who turn their back to the ocean for a pic and the current when swimming

gallery_18_5_136936.jpg

On our way to the weeping rock at blue hole

gallery_18_5_90176.jpg

Natural swimming pool with fish

gallery_18_5_351514.jpg

Delicacies on the rocks if you have courage to get pick them

gallery_18_5_44123.jpg

Hawaiian barb wire fence

gallery_18_5_261402.jpg

mountain is a woman on her back

gallery_18_5_106017.jpg

Where no roads go

gallery_18_5_424445.jpg

215yd driving average

gallery_18_5_298606.jpg

Scuba off Oahu

gallery_18_5_152681.jpg

Drivable Par 4

gallery_18_5_85507.jpg

Fav snorkel spot

gallery_18_5_284248.jpg

gallery_18_5_303681.jpg

gallery_18_5_346684.jpg

gallery_18_5_148385.jpg

Sweet, Chris!

Thanks for sharing!!!

I also grew up part time on Oahu and spent many summers with family on Kauai. Ironically while the local spots and treats are not new to me, I was never into golf while I was there and until last year had never played golf while home. My cousin is the beer-cart girl at Poipu Bay GC so I have "connections" to play. I made a promise while home last year that I would never return without clubs again!!

That is a sweet lifestyle ... Here from Hong Kong; it looks far from reality ;-)

Great pics and thanks also for sharing!

Long way from Indianapolis, but I may have to put that on the list of places to take the family. Thanks for sharing.

As I read this I'm in poipu enjoying a Mai tai, played Kauai lagoons yesterday and birdie that driveable par 4. Prince course tomorrow.

As I read this I'm in poipu enjoying a Mai tai, played Kauai lagoons yesterday and birdie that driveable par 4. Prince course tomorrow.

Beautiful! Pm me if you wanna play Wailua free, it's a very special course.

Don't forget Puka Dog in poipu!

PM sent

Beautiful! Pm me if you wanna play Wailua free, it's a very special course.

Don't forget Puka Dog in poipu!

Hope this offer is still good when I go home! Lol ;)

A lot of rain on the North side the last few days, even had flash flood warnings . The Prince course was awesome except for no rool and crazy slow greens. You could not hit the putt hard enough, I'd guess a 5 or 6 on the stimp meter. No one putts, shot 87 from the blues, hit the driver very well and other tee shots from the fairway and rough not so much. redo made the course better in my mind

It absolutely is :)

Nice! I don't know what kind of course Poipu Bay is but I can likely return the favor there if you're interested. ;)

A lot of rain on the North side the last few days, even had flash flood warnings . The Prince course was awesome except for no rool and crazy slow greens. You could not hit the putt hard enough, I'd guess a 5 or 6 on the stimp meter. No one putts, shot 87 from the blues, hit the driver very well and other tee shots from the fairway and rough not so much. redo made the course better in my mind

Cool, it's one of my all time favorite courses, did the waterfall behind the green have water? Great score man. Tee shot is so important there.

Cool, it's one of my all time favorite courses, did the waterfall behind the green have water? Great score man. Tee shot is so important there.

Waterfall was raging, tee shot is critical. It seems like you don't get any flat lie on your second shot, that and the super slow greens made it tough to score well.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! I don't know what kind of course Poipu Bay is but I can likely return the favor there if you're interested. ;)

Really enjoyed Poipu Bay, great course

• 5 months later...

Easily one of my favorite destinations on the planet.

Please let me know when you go, I can get you a couple of rounds free at the top spots.

My personal course rankings in order:

- Prince Course

- Wailua

- Kauai Lagoons - Kiele Course

- Poipu Bay

- Princeville

Play prince course or wailua twice each, Kiele at least once, Poipu is a one timer as well.

All great courses and such a beautiful island.

Thanks chris

As for hotels and ive been specifically asked toa sk....

Swimming pool hotels... Saw st regis and westin some pretty decent deals there

But is there

Much of a difference?

I much prefer vrbo and condos but the kids demand swimming pools

Ahhhhhhhhhhh the pain

Grand Hyatt is the way to go for pools on Kauai, Koa Kea is another really nice hotel. Those are the top 2 hotels on the island. I got married at that Hyatt. Both are in Poipu.

I'll Pm you.