Official TRPX Drivers and Shafts Review Thread

wmclarenf1

Finally shafted up a TRPX D 10 loft (thanks Tario) with a tour ad bb 7 s (only shaft I have to spare ATM).

Played 18 today and hit some bloody long bombs but lost it right a few times - so went to change the weights and the shinier weight (I am guessing aluminium) is now useless as the tool just wrecked the top of it - applied almost no pressure and it still slipped.

I love the look, performance and the potential of this driver and I think after a bit of tweaking this will be a great head but is it too much to ask for that the weights (or weight) is not so bloody flimsy!!! So disappointing - now I have to find another weight and try to get this one out without ruining even further. Not the "flimsiness" I would expect from a JDM beauty.

By the way I will definitely be filling the head with some foam beads as sound is not muted enough for me - could also be the loose weight.

Apart from this the driver is mint and no wonder these are selling like hot cakes.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Played 18 today and hit some bloody long bombs but lost it right a few times - so went to change the weights and the shinier weight (I am guessing aluminium) is now useless as the tool just wrecked the top of it - applied almost no pressure and it still slipped.

I love the look, performance and the potential of this driver and I think after a bit of tweaking this will be a great head but is it too much to ask for that the weights (or weight) is not so bloody flimsy!!! So disappointing - now I have to find another weight and try to get this one out without ruining even further. Not the "flimsiness" I would expect from a JDM beauty.

Totally agreed. I had this exact same issue with the weight and so did another member so this cannot be an isolated incident. This is either a defect or poor craftsmanship on the weight. The crazy weights work and are much better quality.

Totally agreed. I had this exact same issue with the weight and so did another member so this cannot be an isolated incident. This is either a defect or poor craftsmanship on the weight. The crazy weights work and are much better quality.

I stripped the head on one of my Crazy 435 weights barely using any pressure as well so I can't say mine were any better.

Feel and sound are definitely subjective, I'm a big fan of a muted sound at impact, although I don't really mind a bit of noise at impact as long as it's not an ultra metallic ting/ping that most drivers seem to produce, idk why, but very loud and metallic sounding drivers just turn me off, I would much rather a thwack, thump, or crack at impact, the XV 5 wood delivered exactly what I was looking for, didn't sound or feel metallic at all, just powerful and pleasing, I wish more drivers were made with that sound/feel, sound is such a seemingly small thing, but for me it can 100% be the make or break factor as to weather of not I like a certain driver if it's not a stellar performer.

yesterdays game with both drivers in very storng wind

waccine gt 88 and diamana X 70 s

waccine is low and extremely stable in the biggest wind imaginable

i wont be using anything esle ever again.

the dia X is way higher and an absolute bomber.

cant see anything else gettign a decent look in for a long time

finally got them wired weight wise.

very easy to hit heads. and they go plenty long enough thanks.

only issue is the waccin into the iwnd although it was arrow satrigh it got back spiinned a lot and distance was lessend signicantly. with the wind it was alll bounce adn roll.

the DIAx was just out and out huge.

very unusal , but the weight issue has been solved .

loved looking at hte heads a address, not once did i even think iwas going to miss right.

which is very unusal for me.

yes i wil lsay defititively now this head( the deep one )........

is extremely good the harder iwent at the ball the better the results got.

but i also can choke down on it a bit and hit my stinger drive very easily.. when i need to.

play around with weights chaps makes a big differnce.

i wont be changin these about now ive got them perfect.

awsome drivers both

both these drivers are comin to sdyney

prob dont need anything else really.

but of course thats a pipe dream..!

This may be a stupid question but are the weights covered under the warranty?

I hate having a $500 + driver head with a loose weight?

Add me to the list of stripped weight screws!!!

Guys here is the deal about the weights, the lightest weights which are the 1g and 2g are made of soft aluminum and will strip easily. These must be removed with care and not overly tightened as the aluminum is that soft and can actually twist with too much pressure.

This is a Jbeam wide thing and not just TRPX.

It is not a defective screw but simply a weakness of the design as the only way Jbeam can make 1g and 2g weights is to make them out of aluminum but it means they are too soft!

I will talk to them about it and see what they think.

I've had this issue in the past with the very light 1-2g weight screws and I can't see how they can get around this issue.

It's just not enough mass/material to use anything other than aluminum.

The wrench I'm sure has a torque value and the aluminum just can't handle the torque.

Edited by Baddmnkey

Guys here is the deal about the weights, the lightest weights which are the 1g and 2g are made of soft aluminum and will strip easily. These must be removed with care and not overly tightened as the aluminum is that soft and can actually twist with too much pressure.

This is a Jbeam wide thing and not just TRPX.

It is not a defective screw but simply a weakness of the design as the only way Jbeam can make 1g and 2g weights is to make them out of aluminum but it means they are too soft!

I will talk to them about it and see what they think.

It is a shame because aside from that this TRPX head is magnificent in every other way.

May need to invest into some crazy weights ;-)

Edited by nudgeegolf

Besides Crazy weights, would the TM weights work on Trpx? They share the same wrench.

It is a shame because aside from that this TRPX head is magnificent in every other way.

May need to invest into some crazy weights ;-)

Nudgee, I think where T is coming from and I agree, whether its Crazy or Jbeam or TRPX weights as they are all made by the same Jbeam guys and if they are the 1 gram or 2 gram weights, this issue is inherent due to the much softer alu compound. I suggest when you tighten such weights, don;t rely on the wrench torque. Just go by feel and if you hear a torque click and if the wrench is even slightly tilted, there is a high chance the light weight will be stripped.

FYI, same thing happened to me which I shared with T via PM some weeks back.

Edited by wmclarenf1

Nudgee, I think where T is coming from and I agree, whether its Crazy or Jbeam or TRPX weights as they are all made by the same Jbeam guys and if they are the 1 gram weights, this issue is inherent due to the much softer alu compound. I suggest when you tighten such weights, don;t reply on the wrench torque. Just go by feel and if you here a torque click and if the wrench is even slightly tilted, there is a high chance the light weight will be stripped.

FYI, same thing happened to be which I shared with T via PM some weeks back.

Yes that is absolutely correct. The lighter aluminum weights do not need to be cranked in so tight.

I pretty much screw them lightly till they no longer turn, no extra force is needed and they are so light they will not go loose or unscrewing themselves.

Nudgee, I think where T is coming from and I agree, whether its Crazy or Jbeam or TRPX weights as they are all made by the same Jbeam guys and if they are the 1 gram weights, this issue is inherent due to the much softer alu compound. I suggest when you tighten such weights, don;t reply on the wrench torque. Just go by feel and if you here a torque click and if the wrench is even slightly tilted, there is a high chance the light weight will be stripped.

FYI, same thing happened to be which I shared with T via PM some weeks back.

No probs, will get some new heavier weights as I need to increase SW a bit so the heavier ones should be OK.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have luck on the S-013 so far. I can't control this driver - I hit it left and right most of the time.

I tried the Crazy 513 proto & ly01 nero but none of them work for me - not sure if this has something to do with the shaft @50grams range & the 450cc head.

The Ryoma ST+513 proto and Mizuno 2010 JPX AD + GD both 460cc are working very well for me.

Thinking of re-shafting this with 65g, is this going to give me some control?

Any thoughts guys?

I'm guessing when I suggest this. I wonder if it's the weight of the head you need to increase, not the shaft.

Do you know what the head weight is?

So head weight wouldn't be a problem so it is either shaft related or just spin characteristic of the head. My directional control is better with the D than the S but then again different shafts.

• 1 month later...

Had a round with the Crazy 435 and the Messenger 1st shaft. What can i say… it's probably the longest combo for me. Still to early to say if that's the case on a consistent basis but on a par 5 I'm very familiar with, it took me to where I have never been (still on the same fairway of course :-)

Interesting to note that it changed the sound of the 435 compared to my TJ46. Still metallic but a lower pitch metallic. Also, when spining the shaft, this is as close to a spine-less shaft as I have come and that for me is a sign of very very high quality and craftsmanship when the sheets are rolled. Also, this is a Messenger Stiff which Tario says is 10 CPM more than the Messenger SR in my S-013. In my hands, I would say the TJ46 6.4 maybe plays only a tad softer but not that much.

Glad I got the Messenger for the Crazy 435! Its my longest combo by my mortal standards but the 435 long as it is, still loses out to the S-013 forgiveness wise. Given the less forgiving nature of the 435, perhaps its also better that I have a stiffer than normal (for me) shaft in it to help with the dispersion. That it went as long as it did was a very pleasant surprise. Ball flight is also lower than the TJ46 but just a tad.

Happy camper here… now I just gotta figure out a cheesy nick for the 435 Messenger combo!