Official TRPX Drivers and Shafts Review Thread

wmclarenf1

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got my TRPX setup this morning. Hope to hit the range with it today with the 435 and Maxima.

Head specs of my S-013 are as per the sticker in the pic. Shaft is the Messenger 1st SR flex installed with tribal silkscreen up.

Plays to 45.5 grip on and D1.5 SW with an Iomic Stickey 48 gram grip. Only not too positive is the grip install. No biggy but a bit of tape can be see at the end of the grip.

Have also taken a face pic against the 435 and Maxima Type D. TRPX is in the middle. Looks are deciving. Based on purely the satin finish part of the face, the S-013 is the shallower if the 3. Now this is not to say on its own it's shallow.

The S-013 measured 50mm, the type D 51.5mm and the 435 53.5 mm.

Review will come shortly.

post-2841-0-64714500-1380342326.jpg

post-2841-0-43644500-1380342356.jpg

Edited by wmclarenf1

Cud not disagree any more

Hit 50 drives with mine today

Finish is first class

No scrapes on sole

Very different to the 425 and 435 range

Feel is almost identical to the ,maxima

Was very pleased with the aesthetics

Very much lime the syard xv at address

Very similar face pattern but a bit lower profile

Will game it tomorrow witht the maxima

Finish is first class

No scrapes on sole

I cant wait to hear your thoughts on this one, glad its not too much like the 425 & 435. Tried emailing you earlier mate, didn't go through for some reason, ring me if your still around over there.

Finish is definitely top class, from the edges to paint, to the metallic sparkles in the crown.

Very sharp head.

For me my head looks new even after a month and a half of use.

I find the S as forgiving as the Maxima otherwise it would not have replaced it in my bag.

post-8383-0-79536700-1380367535.jpg

Looks nice and promising. Cant wait to get mine!!!

Finish is first class

No scrapes on sole

Your hitting the D or S?

I find it much more stable than the Maxima, X-Line shaft?

mine arrived today 10degree D with Messenger shaft in Stiff. Looks great will be using her tomorrow. Thanks T for the great service and advise.

First Range session with the S-013 10* Messenger 1st today so bear in mind this is a VERY LIMITED INITIAL review.

Range condition :

1. Rained yesterday which coupled with unmowed cow grass is not good.

2. Range has an uphil gradient towards the end.

3. Tops out at 226 meters or approx. 247 yards (will comfirm this with a range finder again). After that its anyone's guess what the distance is as trees after that and you can;t see past that.

4. Weather today was ideal for testing although range wasn't. Cool enough by local standards and hardly any wind.

Brought my Ryoma Maxima Type D 10.5 with FEX WBQ 55 and my Jbeam 435 Crazy TJ46 to hit side by side. Hitting order was always Maxima first, S-013 and then 435.

Warmed up with about 25 range rocks hitting wedge and then 6I. Then hit the 3 drivers with range rocks.

Took out a total of 15 test balls. Again hitting order as above and one ball each round robin.

TaylorMade Penta TP (3)

- Maxima slight draw 215m or approx 235 yards

- XXX straight and rolled PAST 226m or 247 yards and more

- 435 Slight push hit the top of the tree (yes, dont't ask me why they out a tree in the middle of the range but its been there forever. This would still have been a fairway drive. Estimate 226m or 247 yards.

Srixon Q-Star (3)

- Maxima gentle 2m fade 220m or approx 240 yards

- 435 gentle fade just slightly past Maxima and just rolled PAST 226m or approx 247 yards or more.

Nike 20iX-X (3)

- Maxima straight and rolled PAST 226m or 247 yards and more

- 435 bad hit. DuckLING hook 215m or approx. 235 yards

Cally Tour i(s) (3)

- All less than good drives

- Maxima push fade 215m or approx 235 yards

- XXX thinned it..... rolled PAST 226m or 247 yards and more

- 435 fade 220m or approx. 240 yards

Bridgestone variety (3)

- Maxima with 2013 B330RX straight 220m or approx. 240 yards

- XXX with 2013 B-330S toed it with a slight draw 210m or approx. 230 yards

- 435 with a 2012 B330RXS push fade 215 m or approx. 235 yards

Again very limited test and for fairway drives on an acutual course, I typically get 5 to 10 meters more than on the range... and sometimes less LOL.

Head shape of the S-013 seems roundest at address. Feel..... its the closest Epon Technity 460 feeling driver from a non Epon Technity 460 driver. That describes a lot I think. Too early to say about forgiveness as really, hit only 1 toe shot today with the XXX and distance loss was not overly punishing and it would still have been a fairway drive. However as an indication, I hit a several bad shots with the 435 today. Will know better on forgiveness over the course of the next coupe of range sessions where I have more actual playing balls to test with and some used Prov1 and ProV1xs that I'll save for the last range test session. I'm doing this to equalize my swing over a few sessions. Will also hope to get at least 2-3 rounds in by then.

Sound? 435 is... well 435 :-) The long distance beast that sounds bad :-).. S-013 is defnitely not tinggy. I go back to what the Epon Technity 460 and AF 101 sound like as a comparison to the S-013. That is a good thing.

Launch.... Maxima 10.5* highest of the 3 (but not high. Let's take out the absolute extremes here) and slighty highER than the 10* S-013 and 10* 435.

Roll...I don't want to say this as its a real honeymoon comment but S-013 out runs all.

Messenger shaft feels as smooth as the WBQ and seems very stable. Let's see if this continues to be the case over the testing sessions. Flex wise, all seem to feel the same.

Will update after the next few range sessions and rounds.

Edited by wmclarenf1

Art sounds very promising.

Messenger shaft is stable but very automatic.

TRPX says its is a very all around shaft and very forgiving.

I also like the feel and think it is spongy like the 460ZR and I get more roll from the TRPX than from the Maxima. For me the TRPX is more stable and is way better in the wind.

For those waiting I will post some side by sides of the D and S models tonight.

Art sounds very promising. Messenger shaft is stable but very automatic. TRPX says its is a very all around shaft and very forgiving. I also like the feel and think it is spongy like the 460ZR and I get more roll from the TRPX than from the Maxima. For me the TRPX is more stable and is way better in the wind. For those waiting I will post some side by sides of the D and S models tonight.

T,

Still extremely early days but the fit to my swing seems good. Thanks for the recommendation on setup.

Had my first Range session with the TPRX D 10 Degree with Messanger Stiff Shaft. I hit about 60 balls today with it. My first impressions are that this could be a very special driver. Very easy to hit the shaft feels great, very smooth. Ball flight was mid to low with good roll out. Much easier to hit combo then the 425 tour with WBQ 65S that I have and much longer then the Ptune with WBQ 65S. Found the head to be very forgiving, most of my miss hits were only 5-10 yards off center. Too early to make a final decision but so far I am very impressed

post-15908-0-69355900-1380578492.jpgpost-15908-0-47349700-1380578485.jpgpost-15908-0-14644700-1380578475.jpg

> much longer then the Ptune

Seriously?, .... Now I have to get it....

Time to sell my other stuff.... Geez!!

Can someone do a quick video to show what it sounds like? May be compare it to P-Tune?

I miss those videos Tatsuro used to do with new clubs!

> much longer then the Ptune

Seriously?, .... Now I have to get it....

Time to sell my other stuff.... Geez!!

Can someone do a quick video to show what it sounds like? May be compare it to P-Tune?

I miss those videos Tatsuro used to do with new clubs!

Yes. Longer then the Ptune. Without really going at it the TPRX is at least 10 yards longer.

As mentioned in some threads, now that I have all my gear, I wanted to post my thoughts. This is my first jump into JDM gear and you honestly cannot go wrong with ANY of these drivers. They are all top notch in terms of quality, feel, distance, tolerance, etc. Just steps (very large steps) above USDM gear or anything I have hit in the past. Comparing any of these is tough (like comparing super models).

The Contenders:

Ryoma Maxima Type-V 9.5/Longest Yard 01 6.9 - D2.5

Crazy "New" 450 9.5/Longest Yard 01 6.9 - D2

Crazy 435 9.5/Longest Yard 01 6.9 - D2

TRPX D-031 10/Messenger 1st Stiff - D2

My Swing (based on a PRGR Red Eyes Personal Launch Monitor):

Average Swing Speed: 90-94mph

Average Ball Speed: 135-140mph

tl;dr: The TRPX is very similar, if not just as long as the 435, better overall feel/sounds/build quality and potentially a tad more forgiving. Its almost like the Maxima had a wild/crazy night with the 435 and out come the TPRX D.

Distance: The 435 I believe still is a tad longer than any driver I have hit. I had a PRGR Red Eyes with me and the 435 had slightly higher ball speeds than the Maxima, 450 and D, though the D came in second out of that list and on any given swing, was just as long. The D also seemed to have slightly lower ball flight than the 435 resulting in a tad more roll than carry but equal distance.

Feel: This is where the TRPX D rules. I feel that the Maxima is too muted, the 435 a tad tingy (unless you hit it on the screws, then it is the best feeling out of any driver), the 450 really lacking here while the D feels soft like the Maxima but also gives you plenty of feedback. I didn't get the same feel I do off of the 435 when you nail it, but that is hard to find.

Sound: The TRPX is more muted than the 435 and 450 but not as much as the Maxima. I wish it had a slightly higher pitch to it, something between the D and the 435.

Build Quality: I think the Maxima's paint and build is top-notch, closely followed by the TRPX head (if not the same or better). The Crazy heads are cool, just nothing special in this category.

Forgiveness: The Maxima is tops here, but I found the 435, D not too far behind with the 450 there as well. I think with the 435, its risk/reward and I got slightly more forgiveness with the D.

Launch: For my swing, the Maxima is medium flight, 435 & 450 slightly medium/high and the D medium to medium/high. I feel that the Messenger has a slightly higher kick-point than the LY01 and is a tad tighter.

Summary (my lame star system - out of possible 5)

Distance: 435 (*****), D (****), 450 (****), Maxima (***)

Feel: 435 (****), D (*****), 450 (**), Maxima (***)

Sound: 435 (****), D (****), 450 (**), Maxima (***)

Build Quality: 435 (****), D (****), 450 (****), Maxima (*****)

Forgiveness: 435 (***), D (***), 450 (***), Maxima (*****)

Total (Earned/Possible):

Crazy 435: 20/25

TRPX D: 20/25

Crazy "New" 450: 15/25

Ryoma Maxima Type-V: 19/25

BTW: The Crazy Longest Yard 01 and Messenger First shafts are AWESOME.

Posted a review of my 4 drivers: http://forum.tourspecgolf.com/topic/35542-trpx-d-031-v-crazy-new-450-v-crazy-435-v-ryoma-maxima-type-v/

tl;dr: The TRPX is very similar, if not just as long as the 435, better overall feel/sounds/build quality and potentially a tad more forgiving. Its almost like the Maxima had a wild/crazy night with the 435 and out come the TPRX D.

Very very hard to pick between the two and both are the best overall drivers I have ever hit (out of the 4 JDM drivers I have ever tried ;)

hey great views!

a big thng here is u used the ame shaft in amlost all heads

this is where u can reall notice a big differnce in heads

all my shafts are the diamanana X 70s.

so its only the head that makes the differcence.

i found slighty differnt to you

from the middle of the club..

the maxima was my prefered "feel"club by quite a way.

the TRPX i liked the flight of the most.

and the 435 is prob stil lthe king of distance

early doors with the TRPX but so far , im thinking this cud be a real all round day in out winner, like the ryoma v-spec.

the ryoma maxima i found tends to go a bit higher than I " LIKE"

........ if not middled properly.(totally differnt to the vspec mind you)

the TRPX didnt have that same issue SO FAR....

and the 435 is just a bomber.

great sets up u got going there !