Official TRPX Drivers and Shafts Review Thread

wmclarenf1

The course was beautiful, couldn't believe the colors. The Shaft is very smooth. My issue usually is when I over swing I push the ball left, with this combo I haven't seen that, if anything the ball plays a cut, starting down the left side cutting back to the middle. If I take a smooth easy swing the ball goes dead straight. The T.388 with the stock shaft was very straight for me. The shaft felt heavy and stout even though it was the SR. The Messenger shaft is much smoother shaft that seems to be very automatic in delivering the club head back to square. I am considering putting it into the ptune head that I have to see how it would preform. To early to make this statement fact but this maybe the easiest to hit shaft I have every tried.

What course is that? It looks so beautiful, that I may have to take a golf trip there next fall.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What course is that? It looks so beautiful, that I may have to take a golf trip there next fall.

Hi Mob

That was the Killington Grand Resort Course. It is on the property with the hotel. There are several other courses in the area to play but this one is the nicest. This time of year is the best since most of the trees have changed color. Course is very nice not too many amenities but the golf is good. Mountain Golf is always a challenge but fun.

Shafted with bb7s this thing is a beast, almost as long as 435 I have. Ordered 10.5 open face it's a bomber. Particularly Like the muted feeling at impact and the ball seems to roll out a fair bit.

Just recently joined the forum. I am looking for new driver combo. I currently Play titleist 913 d3 445cc head with rip phenom 70g 3.2 torque stiff flex shaft at 45" and d7 sw. I know it is heavy but do not hit many balls offline. I am a good ball striker. I currently hit about 225-230 drives. I am looking for a little more distance but do not want to sacrifice too much accuracy. My swing speed is around 96 mph and local custom fitter said my current shaft spins about 500 too much.

If I go lighter in sw, would it create more spin. I am a very aggressive swinger and quick too. I have been looking at the trpx and crazy 435II heads. I would like to play at 45" to 44 1/2". Any suggestions on heads and shafts. Thanks.

If you go lighter in swing weight it would create less spin. Higher swing weight means the head is heavier and more active as this added weight increases the tip action. This creates more spin and higher launch especially for the aggressive swinger or one with lag and late release.

If you like the more traditional shape of the 913 D3, you should look at the TRPX D-013 or the Crazy 435.

Your distance 225-230 however dictates closer to a regular flex (though is that carry?). That RIP at 70g and stiff doe sound way too stiff. Your Titleist head must be super heavy to get D7 at 45". (or you are using an ultra light grip).

I'm inclined to say D-013 9.5* with a Messenger SR or S but but it depends on how aggressive you really are.

Also swing weight is very personal, affect on spin and launch is not too significant but more of an impact on feel during the swing for the player and for some how the club loads especially if its a heavy head.

thanks so much. I called titleist and the head is 198g and have the club put on scale to come out at d7. my 225-230 is total distance. I probably do release a little early and have a slight draw or hit it straight. How is the x line?

198g at 45" and D7 doesn't sound right.

198g at 45" is more like D0 maybe D2 with the heavy RIP.

Is 198g not including the sleeve?

X-Line very straight, great match for the head but also stiff for you.

Is 225-230 carry?

It does not include the sleeve, just the head with standard weight on bottom. I talked with them and got email with this info. Also, had it balanced on scale. I also tried to hit an oban kiyoshi 65g shaft in x stiff at d3 in in adams head. It was light and was hitting balls left and right with little side spin.

the 2250-230 is my total distance, not carry.

The torque on these shafts seem high, from what I am use to playing. thanks

Just recently joined the forum. I am looking for new driver combo. I currently Play titleist 913 d3 445cc head with rip phenom 70g 3.2 torque stiff flex shaft at 45" and d7 sw. I know it is heavy but do not hit many balls offline. I am a good ball striker. I currently hit about 225-230 drives. I am looking for a little more distance but do not want to sacrifice too much accuracy. My swing speed is around 96 mph and local custom fitter said my current shaft spins about 500 too much. If I go lighter in sw, would it create more spin. I am a very aggressive swinger and quick too. I have been looking at the trpx and crazy 435II heads. I would like to play at 45" to 44 1/2". Any suggestions on heads and shafts. Thanks.

Welcome to the board.

That's interesting. If your distance in in yards, on average, I think I get a bit more than you but play Regular flex... That's very interesting .... to each his own of course.

Those numbers don't add up.

Just received my TRPX club today and had to sneak out early from dinner to have a go at it. Some initial observations after around 50 balls at the range:

I'm a mid hcap (fluctuates between 11-13) with a swing speed typically between 102-110. Driver used to be a big strength of my game, but has been very erratic of late. Misses are a horrible snap hook that usually end up OB or to the next fairway. Finally went back to the trusty old Titleist 905R and resorted to playing a fade off the tee. Accuracy has gone up now, but I feel like I'm leaving behind quite a bit of distance. Messed around with a whole bunch of USDM and JDM drivers, with the TRPX being the latest.

Specs: 10deg D-013 with X-Line Stiff flex. Square faced and plays to 44.75". 320g.

Distance: Couldn't really tell for sure in the dark, but initial impression is that this is long. Longest driver I've played so far was probably the jBeam 435 + DJ-6x, which goes to around 230m on clean strikes at the range with normal range balls. The TRPX looks like it might be there or thereabouts.

Trajectory: Amazing. I loved the ball flight I saw. Initial impression I got was that it is quite sensitive to tee height. Teed it low and had a low penetrating trajectory; teed it higher and slightly further forward and was hitting the ball a lot higher with no ballooning.

Forgiveness: Outstanding. Felt like I could get away with pretty bad swings with this club. My misses are usually on the toe or low on the face and as far as I could tell, it still went pretty well with both types of misses.

Feel: Nice explosive feel to the head. Only issue I might have with it is that feedback appears to be limited - all the shots felt pretty similar across the face.

Shaft: Probably my favourite part of the club. The X-Line felt amazingly stable for me. Still went left once or twice when I went after it, but otherwise it more or less eliminated the left side for me.

Overall, am very impressed with this club. Will take some time to get used to it and get everything dialed in, but initial impressions are that it is a very solid club and could well be my gamer for a long time to come. Just hope that it is not a honeymoon period. Got an important game tomorrow morning with a bit of money and a lot of bragging rights on the line, and I'll be happy to take this out.

Thanks for the great recommendations T!

V, sounds good especially the trajectory. The higher tee will give a slightly higher launch as the higher tee probably catches the ball higher on the face resulting in a bit more spin. Also further forward and higher will result in more of an upwards blow giving a higher launch as well. This is actually good you experimented as now you know you can control trajectory by the tee height and utilize the lower tee on windy days.

There is always some adjustment period but initial impressions sound great for both head and shaft! Good to hear the D is quite forgiving as that is what I find as well. Good luck tomorrow!

Heres a Ittle tip o nthe trpx If the trajectory isnt realy lighting ur world Try a change incomfiguration I just got a hell of a nice surprise today Damn,this thing goes good

Mine came with 4gram heel and back and 2 gram toe with final head weight at 196.1. I've replaced the back 4 gram weight with a 6 gram weight from my spares. Will see how that affects tomorrow if it does.

I've already been telling customers to swap around the weights.

The default setting is the heavier weight in the heel for a draw bias.

I love this driver... between Chris and I we now own 4.... a D and S each!! (^_^)

I've already been telling customers to swap around the weights.

The default setting is the heavier weight in the heel for a draw bias.

I love this driver... between Chris and I we now own 4.... a D and S each!! (^_^)

Are those weights coming with the purchasing? I mean extra in different weight. Is that T- bar screw driver included?

Hi Tario,

Can you help posting how to configure these weights? Changing which one about how many grams to how it affect ball flight. Seem we're doing kinda guess work (trial-error) now. Thanks.

Mark

Its not really trial and error.

Configuring the weights is the same as any other adjustable driver. More weight in the heel = more draw biased. More weight in the toe = more fade biased. Moe weight in the back = CG further back and more launch (though it takes a lot more weight to make a huge difference in the height of the trajectory).

This is the same as with any other driver.

the set up i got to work best for MY SWING ONLY . bec ive pretty high take way an and steep attack anything with a trianlge shape back end back goes shot high.

the TRPX. i swapped the front weights to 6-6 amd the tail to 2g. making it 203 gram. d3 sw.

MUCH lowr flight and a nicer flight i like to look at, the backspin wasnt as evident.

will game this again this weekend with the ryoma and same shaft.

2 pretty good set ups.

Simply put.....I love the driver.

My model is a S 9.5, Messenger SR flex, .5 open, 45.25". I do not know any specs beyond that.

I have had many drivers over the years including many of the iconic ones here except never has a Crazy or Jbeam head. Plenty of experience with shafts.

Today I played a round with about 10 practice drives at the range. It is a course I only played once before. Most holes require placement of the tee shot.

Here are my initial takes on this combo.

Looks - The head is pleasant to look at. It has a very round back which is different than other drivers I have played. The finish is a metallic color and it seems to be high quality. It frames the ball nicely.

Feel/Sound - I list these together as they are closely related. Sound is muted but not quiet. It has a slight metallic sound at times. Mostly when hit high on the face. Not disturbing but rather nice. Solid sound though. The feel is very solid yet soft. The combo works well and leaves nice results when hit.

Forgiveness - I think the driver and shaft really shine here. As forgiving as anything I have owned. Tario is correct saying the Messenger shaft is forgiving. It is just plain easy to play. My miss is a toe hit. I could feel it but distance was still pretty good.

Distance - I don't have any real data but it is long. I was keeping up with guys who are usually substantially longer.

The greatest thing about this driver is how easy it is for me to get good results. I like that it isn't too demanding for me to play. A moderately good swing produces outstanding results. I can play it high or low, right or left however I don't need to put all my effort into doing so. I like a good race car like everyone else however I don't want a car that demands me to thrash it to get the best out of it. I feel like I can get a lot of club on the ball. Any club that does this with ease yet still is sleek and sexy is a winner in my book. I have 2 more rounds this week and I am looking forward to reporting more to you guys.