Member Introduction Thread - Say hello and tell us about yourself!

benseattle

New SOCAL member recently introduced & addicted to the JDM golf scene !

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello,

Great forum!! My name is Mike (long time member on golfwrx). I just got my first set of Epon's and loving them. Nice to see a focused JDM enthusiast group. There is so much JDM I want to try!

Here is a pic of my beauties!!

--Mike

post-16602-0-88235400-1393650571_thumb.j

Edited by mtex22

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Mark here from Fremont, California.

Born in LA, went to school in the Philippines, then lived in Connecticut, New York, Chicago before coming to the San Francisco Bay Area.

I learned to play golf in '92 after 17 years of playing tennis. It became too painful on my knees to play that sport regularly. Played a lot of golf until 2002 and then stopped because of work then marriage then kids. Started playing again last year and got wind of JDM via the other big golf forum and this one. I had been researching different clubs, trying to pick something to restart my golf game with but nothing on the USDM side excited me at all. I got a starter set of Miura PP-9003 irons which I played last season and have pretty much decided that JDM is all I want to play.

Funny enough, I'm in the Philippines for work and I met Spoon who hooked me up with an awesome Epon 503 set with Fujikura MCI shafts. For my money, I don't think there's a better combo. He also set me up with an Epon 460zr with a Quadra Fire Express shaft. I'm so high on the clubs, it's like Spoon's a crack dealer.

Anyway, I'm officially a convert so looking forward to being less of a lurker and more of a participant around here.

hello everyone..this is one of my fav forum and website. but i never post in it..

love Japanese made irons and was playing with mizuno , miura and recently i jus got the yamaha cb... loving it man..

2qd4tpd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone always read the forum and finally decided to jump in I like the rest of you are a great fan of japan clubs started with an xr 03 then 05 and moved on to 09 fct xr of which I have gamed for 4 years and love it. What advantage can I expect moving on to the 2014 glorie ps have tried numerous new domestic drivers and none compare to the old xr fct

Hi all,

stumbled into this site when looking for some more info on the JDM 430 SLDR I just bought. Wow, I never knew there was a whole world of different golf clubs out there. Trawling through the posts and pictures has me drooling over some of the great looking equipment I never knew existed before now.

Been with the same company for the last 27 years at two different locations. Worked my way up from shop floor to middle management where I've been for the last 10 years.

Born in and still living in Australia. Happily married (she's happy, I'm married) with a young daughter. Started golf as an early teenager, now in mid 40's. Had two breaks form the game in that time. One in my early 20's for 3 years and the most recent a 6 year break that ended at the end of 2012. Only get to play once a fortnight due to the wife's health. I don't do any practice in between games and manage to some how hold down a 4 hcp. Will play any course at least once.

The only JDM items I own are my Titleist CB231 golf bag and my 430 SLDR. Irons and fairways are Titleist, wedges are old rusty Cleveland 900 serries and a SeeMore Si3 putter.

Hopping to change the fairways over to the Titleist VG3's when funds allow. Hell if I was cashed up I give the new Titleist VG3 irons a run against my 712 AP2's

Looking forward to learning more about the wonderful world of JDM gear.

Edited by HatchmanSS76

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone - I've followed the blog for quite awhile, but didn't know there was a forum until today. I switched over to JDM clubs about three years ago and am totally hooked. While priced a little higher, I think the quality of the clubs are much better than the major US manufacturers...although I really like my Scotty Cameron putters.

Still wish there was a place to try out the new JDM equipment here in the US.

Hi. Lived on the Monterey Peninsula all my life, but have never played Pebble Beach. I got into Japanese clubs when my golf instructor suggested by buy a set of early 90s Maruman Conductor woods that were on ebay. I did, and used them up until last year when I bought the 2008 Conductors still in new condition off the rack.

I'm in the market for new irons, wedges, and possibly a putter.

My swing speed has increased in the last few months so I need to get fit, but a lot of what I'm looking at my local fitters don't carry. Most of what I'm looking at is on TourSpecGolf.

Looking forward to everyone's insight.

Leonard Pittman here, been a member of this board for over 10 years now and have purchased thousands of dollars worth of equipment from my friend Chris and Tario. Went through about a six year period trying everything under the sun (my "manic" period) but have now pretty much settled down with a strictly "domestic" set (Pings) and no JDM clubs in the bag whatsoever. I've just recently come back to visiting this board after being away for quite awhile as far as regular viewing. I may decide to jump back in with a set of my favorite JDM irons (Yamaha) as their appears to be a couple of pretty good deals in the BST right now. Find that the irons make the most difference for me in my game.

Leonard Pittman here, been a member of this board for over 10 years now and have purchased thousands of dollars worth of equipment from my friend Chris and Tario. Went through about a six year period trying everything under the sun (my "manic" period) but have now pretty much settled down with a strictly "domestic" set (Pings) and no JDM clubs in the bag whatsoever. I've just recently come back to visiting this board after being away for quite awhile as far as regular viewing. I may decide to jump back in with a set of my favorite JDM irons (Yamaha) as their appears to be a couple of pretty good deals in the BST right now. Find that the irons make the most difference for me in my game.

Thanks for writing this Leonard, correction you have 5 more months before your 10 year anniversary! Anyway thanks for the years of support.

I went ahead and gave you the 10 year badge: 10years.png

Long time lurker, time to join your club as my wife and two daughters are tired of hearing about cool JDM clubs. I'm in my 50's, play to a 14 (or so). Home base is 20 miles NW of Boston. Work travel has enabled me to play lots of mediocre golf on many great courses. Discovered Fourteen irons about 4 years ago which opened my eyes to the world of JDM. TSG is informative entertainment, thanks!

• 1 month later...

"When I jump, I'm all in."

I started golf in late spring of 2011 becuase my bf played and we were going to great golf locations like Scottsdale and Maui. I didn't mind hanging by the pool with a cocktail, but I've always been athletic and was a wellness and fitness coach. I decided to play so we'd have another activity to enjoy together. He bought me a set of Adams women's clubs and I booked some lessons.

One my first round, I birdied my first hole, a par four that I chipped in over a large tree. Needless to say, I was hooked. Also, it's probably no surprise that my next birdie wasn't for a number of rounds later.

The women's set is long gone and I've always been into gadgets. Photography is another passion of mine and like golf, there's always something new, maybe something better. I came upon TSG by a review of the Japanese forged ATV wedges. I had been playing the USDM version, but read about how forged wedges feel so much better. Being a "feel" over tech person and already loving the feel of my Mizzy irons, I had to try them and the review led me to my first JDM club.

That lead to the gateway - Miura. A full set of K Grinds later, I moved on to a set of 9003 SN. Now I've got a set of AF-302s and looking to buy a second set of JDM irons and replace my woods and driver. I'm sold on the quality of the JDM products and love the game too much to not be getting the best I can afford. Plus, I like not haven the standard stuff that everyone is bagging.

I'm a member of a club well known for its designer and love being able to get as many rounds in as I can. I play three to five days a week, and practice on the other days with a day off on the weekends. My SS is in the low 90's and I have a deliberate tempo. I strive for a beautiful swing, but some of my ugliest have made the best shots - go figure. My favorite club changes round to round, but usually hovers around my 4i, driver or 64º wedge. I still take lessons, watch Golf Channel constantly and have a whole library of golf books, but my best moments, both on the scorecard and inside my soul, are from when those times that all of those thoughts go out of my mind and I can settle into that magical place - the zone. I knew it in music and other sports, ut golf seems to hit a little deeper and provide a little more. Golf is the crack for the spiritual soul.

There's the challenge of the physical side, the mental challenges and also the social aspect of the game, that draw me in. As a Neo-Buddhist, I find a strong spiritual aspect in my time on the course. Everyday is different, and that's a good thing and a curse at times, too. Just about every golfer understands that.

I'm working on a blog to combine three of my passions; golf, photography and writing. If I can suss out a way to mix in music and get my bf out on the course more often, I'd be even more content. It's a goal, right?

"Bunches"? It depends on who you ask. I like to think, "bunches of sunshine, bunches of hugs, bunches of smiles", you know the sweet stuff. If you were to ask my father, "bunches of bulls*$t". Yea... , I love my dad and his sense of humor :)

Edited by Bunches

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone, I live a stone throw away from Temecula, California. I found out about this site on my quest for a better golf set to get into the game. My dad left me blades I could not handle, and reget not playing while he was around. I am passionate about this and will spend the next half century enjoying it. All the best.

• 1 month later...

Good Morning From Spain. ¡¡¡

Im 42, hcp 9, and i work in a golf club in Segovia. (Los ángeles de San Rafael)

I love Japanese clubs, I hope i¨ll learn a lot of things about Japanese golf .

Thanx

hello

I am from Spain and love japaneese golf equipment.

I hope to learn so much in this site

(Sorry, I am not the girl of the photo)

Edited by Juan Gil Díez

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone I'm a 50 year old 9 handicap living on the East Coast of the USA. I look forward to reading and learning more about JDM equipment and sharing my own experiences.

Hello! I live in the Richmond, VA area - am a retired industrial engineer, and tried to take up the game upon retirement (age 60). Well, that completely blew the bad shoulder (the other shoulder just hurts like hell) - but I guess had the bug. Finally started playing (ugh - terribly) and am doing much better with the lessons - if you've never, and your game sucks - TAKE LESSONS from a qualified PRO. Almost every swing book I've read has said to do something different. Just study Hogan's Five Lessons - but get those lessons! I am kind of a design and materials freak - so the beautifully crafted, forged, jewel-like works of art that I'm seeing on TSG are making me salivate. When the shoulder healed and I bit the bullet (after trying most of the US name brand clubs) bought JPX forged Mizunos. They ARE darn good looking - and I am absolutely joyous when I hit one on that sweet spot! And that sound! It's like hitting that 12th fret note on the guitar! I think Carlos Santana would understand. So, for now, my stoke is with Mizuno. I'm looking and learning and suddenly thinking I COULD justify another set of irons - but I need to learn more so that's why I'm here....I'm hoping to get a few nice putters - forged of course. My other "thing" is pipe smoking - I have a small collection of finely crafted, of excellent briar, and have somewhat been crazy with that....well, y'all know the paths we go on. Thanks for having me here!

• 4 weeks later...

Live in central BC and work across western Canada.

...In my mid 50's and have an 8 hndcp...

Goal is to break 70 in next 2 years- have come close.

Great site... good reading and plenty of golf "eye candy" .... I Love this game.

Hi everyone,

My name is Richard, and I'm a JDMaholic. :)

Born and raised in the Bay Area, I first picked up at set in 2007 (Taylormade r7's) but seldom played. I got married in 2011 and had a baby boy in 2012, and ironically started picking up the game much more frequently - funny how that works!

I used to play very casually with my buddies just to get a break from family life once a couple months. I'd get owned on the course, often losing on bets where I would have anywhere between a 10-15 stroke handi (embarrassing I know). Well I finally decided one day that I needed to elevate my game, and first thing in order was to invest in a new set of irons that would inspire me to practice. In 2013 I purchased a set of Miura Blades and it completely changed my experience with golf.

In the last two years I've dropped my handi from 34 to 22. I've still got a long way to go but it's been a fun ride. I stumbled on this site during my quest to find a yamada samurai putter (found one recently), and I've become obsessed with jdm gear ever since; purchasing epon af-302's, Yururi flatbacks, a Ryoma maxima type v driver (absolutely love), and a crap ton of putters (yamada, Yururi, Ryoma, Miura, etc). There is a permanent black hole in my wallet, but it's been so much fun. Did I mention this just happened in the last 4 months!?

I've really enjoyed reading through all these forums. My wife is starting to get suspicious that something else is going on - lol. My next project is to send in my yamada samurai to gold's for a facelift. Looking forward to sharing my adventures and getting to know you all in the process.

Cheers!
Richard

Edited by Megameng

• 2 months later...

Stockholm, Sweden.

22 year old who has been playing golf since I was 6. Shoot low 70s (mostly). Found JDM after my coach gave me a set of epon irons and wedges. Even though the budget is low ( engineering student) and the fact that JDM does not exist in Sweden I try to replace my gear slowly with a driver first hand. If you guys have any suggestions Im open for a talk!

(Sorry for grammar/spelling misstakes, english is not my native languge)

Best regards

hi everyone vary new to this live in dunedin new zealand been playing 30 years current handicap 4 love all this new gear i didnt no was out there looks as though i will be spending

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello TSG!

Name is Ben, just dipped my toes in the JDM, getting a set of Yamaha 2012 Tour Model CB's. Maybe a little too much club for me, but so beautiful. Got some tourstage X-Wedges on the way, and now Jonesing for some fairway woods. I also blame Eca a little for letting me try his TRPX Air shaft and giving me the JDM bug just a little more. Sure there are plenty of other familiar names from another Austrlian golf forum I am on.

See you all around.

Cheers,

Ben

• 2 months later...

Hey boys another one from Australia. Got referred to this site when I'm was looking for some JDM wedges. Not gaming anything JDM at the moment but I do have set of JDM irons in transit.

I almost like building golf clubs as buying golf club and I got a decent workshop set up.

For me JDM is all about the sexy wedges and blades!!

Took up golf in my early 20's when I moved to Sydney and gave up baskebtall. Was playing off 10-12 for over 10years until about 4 years ago with a change in attitude and mental application got me down to single figures. Now playing off 5 with little to no practice.