Is it a good idea to put a driver shaft in 3 wood? Which shaft you will recommand to do so?

Calvin

Just want to use lighter driver shaft to gain some extra yardage but don't want to loose the stability. I'm not sure this would make any sense. May be you guys can recommand a great FW shaft to squeeze out more yardage for me. Thanks!

Either go a fairway specific shaft like Crazy fw80, quadra has theirs as well as fubuki ax series.

most driver shaft however can be used as fairways and their respective websites will have the trimming instructions ie diamana series

Any driver shaft can be used for a FW. Usually you have to tip trim them about an inch to get the same flex (for a 3-wood) you would for a driver with the shaft untipped. Most people prefer a FW shaft with a little lower kick point than their driver shaft to help with launching it a little higher.

Crazy FW80 was very stable for being a lighter FW shaft.

I did eventually go back to a heavier driver shaft ( 95g ) tipped for stability and consistency.

Diamana Thump FW was just released so that might be another good option.. they have 65. 75 and 85g

Edited by nobmontana

Specific FW shaft would be easier for matching, however if you have any specific driver shaft u like and wanna put it on FW it's definitely will be fine, I even use my previous DI7 driver shaft cut and trim to put it on my Inpres UT and that's has become my most favorite UT until now.

G day Calvin, if you have a specific driver shaft in mind just go to their website and check the trim code; some do some don't.

Just bare in mind fairway heads are usually heavier than driver heads so the extra weight can effect the flex rating by a point or two.

My advice would be FW specific but using driver shafts is more common than you might think.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Fuji Fuel is a good start, numerous weights, not to exy to experiment with, very stable and no trim code required, v good all round shaft :)

Edited by hutchy

Most good builders will know how to trim most driver shafts for FW wood installs, just tell them beforehand to trim accordingly. I've never had alot of luck with FW shafts and have almost always used heavy driver shafts, Nob mentioned the Thump FW that was just released, that looks like a promising option, comes in an 85g class as well, which is nice, my biggest quip with driver and FW shafts has been lack of options in the 85-95 gram range.