Zen Goodsie

RLL33

I missed the first offering of the Epon Zen here on TSG, but fell hard for the pictures and writeup. Then was glad to see one show in the BST, and grabbed it. Little did I know the adventure I was about to embark on...

The Zen arrived, but was poorly packed and shipped, and the sight of the flat smashed box made my heart sink right at the front door. Sure enough, when I opened it, the shaft was splintered (by our lovable USPO), but I was relieved that the head seemed fine except for the slight bag nick disclosed by the seller.

So, after getting over my rage/disappointment, the rational side of me took over and I immediately gave Goodsie, the miracle builder, a call. And soon my Zen baby was on the way down to Austin.

Well, long story told, it arrived back in my hands last weekend just in time for my birthday and when I opened the package this time, the clouds parted and I heard the music I expected the first time 'round. Goodsie reshafted it with with a finely tuned UST Mamia Frequency Filtered and we added a new grip I got from BestGrips.com called the Major Leaguer, which is made out of the leather used for major league baseball gloves (it even smells like your favorite mitt...) embossed with my initials in the nice subtle touch I prefer. And Goodsie even retouched the tiny bag chatter nicks to perfection. And then after rolling it on my practice putting green, I took this baby to the club.

And ho-o-o-ly-y-y-y-y! I never thought anything would feel as sweet as the Yamada I had refinished by Master Sasaya at Gold's over the summer, but this thing is softer than butter, sort of like a chamois coated butter stick. I rolled in two 30-foot birds, and had one of my best putting rounds in a long time. I literally can't wait to pull it when i arrive at the green. This is one rare bird, and I'm grateful to TSG and hugely to Goodsie for putting it in my bag. Love the grip, too, in case anyone's interested in trying something new and novel.

Guess my putter rotation goes back to an even two...

Here's some pics:

post-15743-0-09315800-1382723458.jpg

post-15743-0-68584400-1382723478.jpg

post-15743-0-22388100-1382723502.jpg

post-15743-0-03702600-1382723518.jpg

post-15743-0-03062200-1382723536.jpg

Edited by RLL33

Love it!!. Good luck with it. Hope she brings you many birdies.

One of the most wanted in my putter lists, too bad I still haven't got a chance to find one in a decent condition.

Do you happen to know what the hosel size of the Zen is? Pretty sure it's 355 (not positive)

Nice!!!!!

Gary's been building my clubs for about 6 years now. I feel off the Goodsie wagon about a year or so ago because of a good bud I play with

does club work so I figured I'd have him do it.. He made me feel bad cause I didn;t have him do it.....

Mistake.

I'm back on the Goodsie wagon. Well worth the extra time and shipping.

Congrats on your Zen. :)

Glad you're happy with Goodsie's work.

Do you happen to know what the hosel size of the Zen is?

Hosel is 355. Ordered one direct from UST website.

Do you happen to know what the hosel size of the Zen is? Pretty sure it's 355 (not positive)

Nice!!!!!

Gary's been building my clubs for about 6 years now. I feel off the Goodsie wagon about a year or so ago because of a good bud I play with

does club work so I figured I'd have him do it.. He made me feel bad cause I didn;t have him do it.....

Mistake.

I'm back on the Goodsie wagon. Well worth the extra time and shipping.

Congrats on your Zen. :)

Totally agree. I understand the difference now that tuned shafts make. For a touch player, the effect is immediate.

I really wish you had gotten a chance to roll it with the stock shaft so you could have made a comparison. I've always wanted to find out how my Zen felt with a FF shaft since it makes my Miura KM-350 feel so good. The Zen feels so close to perfect now that I'm hesitant to take a chance with reshafting, especially if the FF shaft is much lighter than the original.

That's a tough call. I'd say since you like the feel of your Zen so much as is, I wouldn't mess with it. Problem is, you do like the feel of the FF in the Miura... All I can say is, the Zen with the FF in it is as close as I've ever felt to just tapping putts with the palm of my hand. And at 35", I don't feel the putter is too light. Greens at my club are fast though, so in general, I lean toward lighter putters... I have the FF in my Yamada, too, which I imagine is closer to the Miura in feel, and though heavier than the Zen, I like its feel too.

The Miura/FF combo blew away the feel of my Yamada (which I thought felt great until then). I had planned to put an FF in the Yamada as well but sold it within minutes of finding my Zen. With it's standard shaft the Zen felt as good as good as the Miura! I thought I was going to get Stew to do a shaft swap on his but his driver OCD always forces everything else to the back burner, lol! You've really got me thinking about this again...