TRPX Messenger + T.388

RLL33

post-15743-0-94436300-1382978462.jpg

Well, I finally decided to try another shaft with my S-Yard t.388. After consulting with Tario, he recommended the TRPX Messenger in S/R for me. (My swing is just on either side of 100 with my driver.) So I got it and sent it out to Goodsie for fine tuning. Just got it back on Friday.

And after multiple hits on the range yesterday, I just had to lay this thing down to cool it off. I was burning the net at the end of the range, and it was burning my hands with excitement. So I set it down and snapped the above pic.

Found I could work the ball in both directions, as with the stock S-Yard shaft. Easy swings were also similarly straight and penetrating. But a difference emerged when I teed it high and cut loose. First one was up near the top of the screen (which sits @230). Don't know if it shows in the pic, but there's a flap in the net toward the top near the second pole from left that I always try to hit because it's loose. Only touched it one other time a while back with the D1 Premia. But not only did I hit it with this thing twice, on the second the ball flew through and made that flap fly! That was when I put this baby down and went for my camera...

To say I'm looking forward to getting it out to the course this week doesn't do it justice...

Will report back after a couple of rounds, but once more thanks to Tario for the choice and to guys here for the reviews which made even this diehard S-Yard guy give something else a try. I didn't have luck earlier with some tries at Crazy shafts, but man, I agree with what others have said here, this TRPX is something special. Light but firm. Tight dispersion. Can really feel and control the kick. And oh yez, it is LONG. And for those interested, it seems to be a great matchup with the t.388, which I still feel is my "driver for life..." <g>

--Richard

Richard

I had a feeling the Messenger shaft would work for you from our previous conversations. The word "Automatic" is misused in golf equipment a lot, However it may actually be true of this shaft. The ball goes where you aim it. Great write up.

Thanks, Ash, I appreciated our conversation. Can't wait to get it to the course -- probably tomorrow.

Excellent write up

Make sure you keep the updates coming

Look like another great combination to concern for a new driver there.

That sounds like a great combo, fantastic write up.

What length did you play?

I kept it identical to the stock S-Yard shaft @ 45 1/4

Excellent write up

Make sure you keep the updates coming

Thanks, Craig, will do.

First round is in and it confirms what I saw on the range. Laser bomb off the first tee to 270. Course then has two consecutive Par-5's on 3 and 4 of the opening 9. Hit a draw on the uphill dogleg 3 and a fade on 4 that carried a ravine that sits at 250. Reached the apron just off both greens in two -- (a gift also of the XV 5-wd that was delivered the day before...). The Messenger that Tario recommended is indeed a fine shaft for me in the T.388. Very easy to feel where the clubhead is in my swing, and its aim is just so true. Much as Ash indicated, it just seems to go where instructed. As always, I value the control more than the distance. BUT I did enjoy the distance, don't get me wrong. <g> This one stays in the bag for now. Also thanks to Tario and Stew for their words on the XV 5-wd. I did find that it had almost the carry of the 3-wd, but off the ground, I got better lift for softer landings. The 3-wd is still killer off the tee. It's a mini t388 for me, sometimes getting out there almost as long. Just in love with my bag at the moment! Many thanks to Tario and TSG!

Edited by RLL33

Richard

That is great I am glad your bag is all set and you are enjoying this wonderful game.

Thanks, Ash -- and cheers to all here. Incidentally another forum member here, exhaloprez, and I discovered we are members at the same club here in LA. Shared a drink and good talk after my round yesterday, which was an added plus! Any of you others, if you're ever in the area and feel like a game, feel free to PM me.

IMO. when you are happy with the clubs in the bag, scores go down.

Confidence is very powerful.

Congrats on getting it right.

IMO. when you are happy with the clubs in the bag, scores go down.

Confidence is very powerful.

Congrats on getting it right.

That is absolute truth...

That is absolute truth...

I played with a senior (more senior than me at 76) member yesterday and he was playing his Maxima newly shafted with a TRPX Ravie that I got him for the first time. His driving distance improved by 5 to 10 yards and he was so full of confidence that he actually bogeyed me to death. I lost 3 down on the back nine (gave him 3 strokes) although I still out drove him by about 30 yards. Confidence in your drive and in your swing is the key to a good game.

Seems to be the general consensus that TRPX shafts are more user friendly than Crazy mirroring what Tario has mentioned several times. I second that as my Messenger has worked well for both faster & slower swingers than me.

This chart sums up how simple they made it vs Crazy:

TRPX-TSG-CONCEPT-MAP.jpg

• 8 months later...

First round is in and it confirms what I saw on the range. Laser bomb off the first tee to 270. Course then has two consecutive Par-5's on 3 and 4 of the opening 9. Hit a draw on the uphill dogleg 3 and a fade on 4 that carried a ravine that sits at 250. Reached the apron just off both greens in two -- (a gift also of the XV 5-wd that was delivered the day before...). The Messenger that Tario recommended is indeed a fine shaft for me in the T.388. Very easy to feel where the clubhead is in my swing, and its aim is just so true. Much as Ash indicated, it just seems to go where instructed. As always, I value the control more than the distance. BUT I did enjoy the distance, don't get me wrong. <g> This one stays in the bag for now. Also thanks to Tario and Stew for their words on the XV 5-wd. I did find that it had almost the carry of the 3-wd, but off the ground, I got better lift for softer landings. The 3-wd is still killer off the tee. It's a mini t388 for me, sometimes getting out there almost as long. Just in love with my bag at the moment! Many thanks to Tario and TSG!

Hi Richard!

After reading through your post multiple times in the last couples of weeks, it also makes me want to try out this particular set up myself!

Few questions if you could help;

1. Your swing speed is around 100, do you consider you are a sweeper or diger when play driver?

2. Do you have a smooth swing or aggressive? Since you are a low single handicap player, I am assuming you swing with your body more than hands! And do you load your shaft much or just a simple up and down?

3. Do you launch your driver shots high or mid before you switch to this set up?

4. I play my #7 iron at 165 yards, what is yours?

5. I am 5"11 but only weight 60kg, yes, I am like a stick but with good reflex.

Sorry to trouble you, I am just trying to get a good comparison so I can choose the right shaft.

Your help is much appreciated. Looking forward to hear back from you soon. Have a good day. Tom

Hey, Tom,

To answer your questions, I'm an inch shorter than you and weigh 160lb, most of it in upper body, used to be a gymnast. My swing is wide and smooth. I've been told I have kind of a miniature Sam Snead look... <g> The swing moves for me from feet and legs through the core, loads the Messenger with good lag, and then becomes about the release. Doesn't look as fast as it is. In fact, sometimes the odd person here or there says it looks like I'm swinging in slow motion... Something about the Messenger just fits me -- it loads effortlessly, stays smooth, but really nails the ball at impact. Just love this shaft! Before I switched to the t388, my drives were high and sometimes ballooned straight or slightly right. The t388 stock shaft showed me what low canons could do off the tee. Then the Messenger kept the canons but raised the trajectory to what I'd call low mid, or just what I was looking for. Tons of run. My 7-iron goes just 155.

Hope this helps. All in all, the t388 with Messenger is as close as I've ever come to what feels like a driver setup for life. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk further.

best,

--Richard

Thank you Richard. The info is very helpful.

I am also asking Tario to give me a hand.

One more question for you, with you previous drivers, do you launch them high or low?

Thanks. Tom

Per original answer, high. Do talk to Tario -- he's the best and he helped me figure out this perfect setup in the first place. Good luck.