2014 Bag Ideas

bogeydog

Ok I know it is 2013 but I like to use the winter to build my 2014 bag.

Driver - set for now with XXX 10.5 SR Messenger.

FW/Hybrids - Same Akira Protos from a few years ago.

Putter - Set with Odyssey #9

Wedges - Likely set with Miura MB-5000WC although likely will change shafts.

Irons - 2014 Yamaha Tourmodel CB 5-PW. I do love the looks. There appears to be hidden tech there as Yammy normally does. The name or stampings are irrelevant to me. I am looking forward to an easy to play high quality head. I am tired of having to be on the top of my game to score well. Some days I just want to golf.

Iron Shafts - after years of eying the Quadra shafts and figuring out if the Fire Express ones would fit me I finally settled on the new DGL 90s in stiff. The flex seems right and the profile suits me. Tario can chime in but he explained that they have a stiffer tip and softer butt with a higher kick point than the WBQ. Also the original DGL 115 was rather stiff and low trajectory. Being lighter these should fly higher and with softer flex should work for me.

I am excited.

What is everyone else doing?

Have the Yururi PDG sitting here waiting on shafts. Considering the Quadra, Tour Attas or Roddio for them. Wedges will be ones that I closed the season with, Zodia shafted with MCI 120X. ONOFF UT(s) depending on how many irons I shaft up and am in process on a Gold's putter… Sticking with old school on the drivers and will just keep the rotation going, no new ones that I am expecting. The rotation includes a few Epon drivers(the Zero and two Technica), the Yam v203, 388, a Miura MD390 and a Kasco 340… Looking forward to spring thaw or a trip south/west...

Ok I know it is 2013 but I like to use the winter to build my 2014 bag. Driver - set for now with XXX 10.5 SR Messenger. FW/Hybrids - Same Akira Protos from a few years ago. Putter - Set with Odyssey #9 Wedges - Likely set with Miura MB-5000WC although likely will change shafts. Irons - 2014 Yamaha Tourmodel CB 5-PW. I do love the looks. There appears to be hidden tech there as Yammy normally does. The name or stampings are irrelevant to me. I am looking forward to an easy to play high quality head. I am tired of having to be on the top of my game to score well. Some days I just want to golf. Iron Shafts - after years of eying the Quadra shafts and figuring out if the Fire Express ones would fit me I finally settled on the new DGL 90s in stiff. The flex seems right and the profile suits me. Tario can chime in but he explained that they have a stiffer tip and softer butt with a higher kick point than the WBQ. Also the original DGL 115 was rather stiff and low trajectory. Being lighter these should fly higher and with softer flex should work for me. I am excited. What is everyone else doing?

I think Quadra also has WBQ irons in the 90+ gram range. Did you consider those?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...,

drivers. set

j-beam ryoma,trpx.

fwds: ryoma f3, egg, kascof d ,syard

irons ,prgr.

wedges the new tourstage forged are really good.

really liking those

We are still a little early to talk 2014. Yamaha is one of the first to announce and just did so from now until March things start to heat up. Like you B, I'm thinking the Tour Model CB could fit the bill.

2013 is/was killer, I think the 388 stole my heart in 2013 and recently the XV fairway wood. The Ryoma F3 w/FW80 alone lowered my scores and looking back on the year its been really great for JDM gear especially with TRPX, a brand that came out of nowhere making some seriously good drivers & shafts, btw it's actually a 2014 brand currently in soft launch.

We know S-Yard has me in the bag with the t388 and mini-t's now in XV 3 & 5-wds. For irons, my Miuras are finally starting to wear down, so I'm looking at their Y-grind CB1007's in black finish, the S-Yard GTS, and the Yururi KM-1007 which catches my eye every time I see a pic of it. Wedges stay Miura.

I think Quadra also has WBQ irons in the 90+ gram range. Did you consider those?

Yes but Tario described the DGL as lower launching. Apparently the butt of the WBQ is smaller as well.

4 items lately have been performing far and away above everything else, the XV 5 wood/Diamana B80, the older set of Fourteen MT28 TS Spec wedges 53* and 58* with X100 Tour Issue and the Yururi 2010 Flatback PW with NS Proto DP. I've been trying to put together 1 single gamer bag of my best all around 14 clubs, normally I have some sort of a rotation, but I've been testing all of my top gear head to head and those 4 clubs are what has come out on top so far, I might not always play this bag, but it will be nice to have it set when I need it. The XV 5 wood has been leaps and bounds better than ANYTHING else ive ever hit in the 17*-19* range, it's longer than most 3 woods, insanely easy to hit, very forgiving, easy to control, and it feels exactly how I wish every wood in my bag felt.... Just cannot possily say enough good things about this club. Have been testing irons for a while and it's been tough to pick a favorite overall, tougher than I originally thought, at first I had figured it would come down to the IDBL's/NS Proto 2g18's and the Yururi Flatbacks/NS Proto DP since they've been the two sets that I've enjoyed the most the past few months and have definitely had the most bag time, but there have been 4 sets that have been basically equally wonderful for the past few days while I've been testing them head to head against each other, those 2 sets I mentioned above, along with the TR500's with Monaco's and the AF Tours with S200 Tour issue in the 4 and 5 irons and X100 Tour Issue in the 6-PW. I hadn't played the AF Tours in a while and ive been surprised how great they've been lately and that they're staying with the other 3 sets. Drivers are difficult, my preference changes alot based on how I'm playing(more so than any other club) and it's tough to pick one clear winner. The 3 wood slot will be between the original Egg 13* spoon/Stinger 70X and the ONOFF Type S 14*/Diamana B80S, the Egg is the longest, easiest and overall best off the deck, but useless off the tee, the ONOFF is solid all around, and wonderfully easy to control and move around, but the Egg will probably get the slot because of the length of the XV 5 wood, if I need to hit FW off the tee, the XV 5 wood is only very slightly shorter than the ONOFF 3 wood. Utility wise I'm not even close to certain, but i tjing the Egg I's should have it. As far as new gear for 2014, all we've really seen so far is the new Yamaha lineup, and I'm not super impressed with it, I'm not a big fan of adjustable woods, and moving production from Endo just for the adjustable function seems like the height of foolishness, as far as the irons, while I'm sure they're wonderful clubs, they don't do a ton for me, the 2013 blades are great clubs, but they play much more like a cavity back than a blade, the new MB looks even less pure and direct with too much going on stamping and design wise, the CB looks very offset, too much for my taste, at some point I may try the MB, and I have NO doubt it will feel and perform well, but I highly doubt i'll prefer it to the previous models. Other than that, there are a few things not really considered 2014 but still fairly new stuff that I'm quite interested in, the new Egg 15* looks like a winner since it seems deep enough to hit off the tee, the Yururi PDG looks great, the Flatback have long been a favorite of mine as well as my go to iron set and I'm interested to see how the new model compares, lastly, the TRPX drivers, Ive got a ton of drivers at the moment, and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about some of them, haven't really been thinking about trying anything else, but I've yet to hear a bad thing said about the TRPX gear so I will probably give them a go at some point.....l

Since we don't have an off season I'm always working on the bag for now

TRPX 9.5 Crazy LS Noir, yesterday I hit every fairway I used this except one and it was 2 feet left in the lite rough. This is staying but might try another shaft.

SYB 13 fw, trying to figure out which shaft.

Hybrid, still looking for something to kick TM out of the bag.

Irons, 2013 Onoffs and RomaRo Vs will share the bag for 2014

Wedges, I'm looking, my Miura's feel great but don't spin enough

Putters, rotation of six Bettinardi's

Yururi KM-1007 which catches my eye every time I see a pic of it.

They caught my eye as well... Ended up with a new set, heads only. Look fantastic.

By far and I mean it's absolutely no contest

The worst irons ever... ever! Steer clear of these.

Almost felt bad for the guy that bought them from me. Had to practically give them away. I noticed he had them

for sale a very short time later. I believe he ended up giving them away.

2014 Bag = too early to say.

I'm pretty happy with the game bag, driver, wedges & putter still very happy with, I'll be trying a new hybrid & irons

Still comfortable with KPX / z9003

Alternate between epon 202 & egg hd

Romaro type r hybrid 18* (new, being built)

Personals / Monaco & KPX 101 / 2f15 (new being built)

Vokey forged / NS wv

I33 highly unlikely to ever leave the bag

Not sure on 2014

Gloire and Ryoma work for drivers

Romaro FW and Hybirds are great.

Vokey Forged wedges awesome

Titleist VG3 Irons since 2010. if the 2014 VG3's are a BIG upgrade maybe I change. The 2010's fit my game well!

Change for change doesn't work for me so I will wait in anticipation for the 2014 Japan show, though the Callaway Apex forged USDM look interesting!