Have you hit the S-Yard XV Fairway Wood Yet?

TourSpecGolfer

XF5A5374.jpg

Have you hit the S-Yard T.388 limited driver? If not you should at least give it a rip. So I'm writing about the XV but talking about the 388 because I personally think this thing is a 388 fairway wood and should have been named as such. They remind me of each other in so many ways, First the low spin and low flight, the straight shots remind you of the 388 as well, add shape and finish to that and we have a fairway wood that is an absolute beast! Now the XV was no slouch at all, I still game it from time to time, it has many of the same higher more forward CG attributes that the 388 has yet in a bigger package, some have argued that the XV looks better in shape than the 388. To each is own.

Designed by Kobayashi-san exclusively for SYD it reminds us once again why he is the man. In an industry with so many gimmicks and copy cats Mr.K puts out products that are different and most often in a very great way.

XF5A5418.jpg

So above as you can see it's not a deep faced wood, don't let that scare you away as the trajectory is anything but high and loose. This thing is stable with a mid trajectory all day long. You need only sort your shaft and specs out properly to have "a ball" with this club. 3 woods have always been my achilles heel, My savior for a long time was the Ryoma F3 and I still go back and fourth. Keep in mind I always throw a Crazy FW80 into any fairway I have, I need to try something new but have no desire to because the results FOR ME can't be beat or at least I haven't found anything that can take it out. I slapped the FW80 into this XV FW and noticed a slight improvement thanks to the heavier weight but what I can say is that SYD does it's homework when it comes to designing and selecting the proper stock shafts. Like the 388 the XV FW has a stock shaft that works flawlessly for most players. The face is slightly more shallow than normal I would say and if your coming from a deep faced FW don't be afraid this thing will blow your mind. Easy to hit, mid trajectory, straighter less spin!

XF5A5494.jpg

Have a look on top, the beautiful matte black finish in direct sun light doesn't glare one bit. Thank you SYD for going matte black and not gloss, Does it's shape remind you of the 388? It does to me and looking down at this puppy makes me smile each and every time. Confidence! That's the feeling I get when looking down at this, not for the visual but because of the back log memories of the great shots this club has produced. I just got into the 5 wood too, It's perfect! So top 3 FW's for me are the RomaRo Type-R, Ryoma F3, and I think my new favorite is this XV. SYD please make a utility like this! Anyway just quick initial impressions.

XF5A5474.jpg

XF5A5387.jpg

XF5A5379.jpg

XF5A5439.jpg

We were talking abou tthis yesterday

Ive got a quadranfex in my5wood but its a bit light sweighted

So the diamana b 80 s isgoing intoit with a bit of weight added to get the extrathump needed form a 5wood

This thing is extremely long and very easy to hit .its not super high at all and its the .388 it ahs no resemblance the the xv what so ever

Dunno why he called it xv.

These are my fav fwd at the moment

With the ryoma f3 thatthins is just preposterously long and eay to hit

Its a tie in my book

Looks pretty sleek Chris, I have toyed with having on in the bag for a time now, I just got the crazy CRZ with FW80 and boy that thing is a beast! would like to try the crazy shaft in one of these though to compare the heads.

What would be the main difference between the 2 heads; I am presuming you have gamed the crazy also? UT would be sweet as I am having problems finding the right one.

Because of the long face and upright lie angle, the F3 was one of the worst FW's I've tried to play in a long time.

The shape and flatter lie of the XV FW makes this one of the best FW's for me in a very long time.

I've shafted mine with a Diamana 'ilima 70 -S. For me this is a match made in heaven. When the swing is on there

is no better FW for my game.

And yes, looks like a minnie me of the T.388

Best choice I made all year was to get the 5 wood, never hit a club before this that's been soooo far and away better than ANYTHING I've tried in this loft, it blows all of my other 17*-19* clubs away.

Totally agree. Think I posted pics of the 3-wd next to the t.388 back over the summer when i dubbed it my mini-T. Just got the 5-wd last week to go with it, and now the three of them sit at the top of my bag just breathing heavy to be hit, like rockets on a launch pad dripping coolant before ignition. The 3-wd off the tee gives me some of the longest and straightest stingers I've ever hit in my life. And the 5-wd off the ground gets up a little higher and lands a little softer, but is close in length. Just an amazing trio, IMO. I feel longer just planting my bag on the first tee with these guys in the bag. And now my mates hear my "Kobayashi-i-i-i howl more often than ever. <g></g>

Should also add, as I posted last week, that the TRPX Messenger in the t.388 has kicked that thing up yet another notch, too. I still have one with the stock shaft in it, but the Messenger is in the bag for now. And I do hope Tario was right that they may come with a fairway shaft at some point. I'm using Matrix shafts in the 3 & 5 for now -- my kind of light and long.

Edited by RLL33

I've been heard all the great feedback since it's coming out. Just order one with Tario, can't wait to hit it by myself.

Got mine from Tario beginning of the month and just got it back from my club fitter/builder. Changed it a little to my specs. It came in at 43.5" and D1.8 so I had it tipped to 43" and now playing at D3.3

Feels and performs AMAZING. I love it so far and couldn't be happier with my first JDM club!

just rebuilt my 5 wood from the quadra fire expres 75xs to a diamana B 80s , and put a bit of hot melt in the head , it was a bit light previously.

ranged it a cpl of nights back , and the new build improved the performce noticeably.

added SW and the centre of gravity was brought centre not hosel so it delivers a much nicer balanced thump now ,and its surprisinly lower in flightt han i was expecting

the hot melt , deadens the feel a bit , but adds distance and a more controled feel , u can feel the head the whole swing, now which is what icudnt do previosuly and was pulling everything.

have no hesitation in puttign the quadra back on . or in a 3 wood .most probably......

but thsi has booked a trip to oz in dec. its really good

How much weight did you add to the head?

This FW is almost the total package for me. The only thing that I hit better is the Ryomas and by better I mean straighter and safer not longer.

really....the ryoma is not as long?

Yes up and up the SYD is longer but if Distance was priority I could use the F2 instead of F3. I get a more floaty flight with the Ryoma and less roll.

Agreed chris def a.flatter traj with the syard

Than the ryoma

Put about 6 grams init my yamaha v17 was 346 gram the syard was 336 so i met slighhtly in the middle

• 3 months later...

Has anyone compared this to the Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 3 wood. I'm curious as I'm so close in pulling the trigger on this S-Yard XV 3 wood. Wondering what the difference would be between the 2, would it be worth the upgrade