distance 3 woods....

supo

i had a very long pre gmae session on a flat range before my match sunday

took the ryoma f3 adn egg spoon out

egg was 13* f3 is 15*

egg with diamana B 70s my go to 3w when im playing offthe tips. which is nt every often any more!

and the f3 with GD p9003x

well.............

if someone wud have said that there is a genuine................... genuine repeatable consistant challenger to the egg for DISTANCE.. i wudda taken it with a grai nof salt.

till sunday

the ryoma................. is absolutely the real deal.

the gd shaft is a heavy 80+ gram beast.i normally choke down on it a smidge and wail into the ball, its high launch but i think its got a bit of spin... but its retardedly strong. i love this shaft i really shud have it in all my fws.

well i hit prob 20 balsl each with the egg and the ryoma. grnated the eggis lower. it was over all longer, but the grass was very wet so the ryoma was an automatic choice for the match. glad i took it out

par 5 14th. 580 yards hit the ryoma to forn edge with a slight toe shot and a draw.

not been near that close on that hole eve before. not a breath of wind to stir the flight

pure......

my opinion is such now.

the egg spoon is still the most point shoot straight ahead 3 wood ive hit

but the ryoma is prob as long and higher and more workable, than the egg.

it might not suit everyone bec it is a very big head. it looks like a mini driver rather than a fwd.

u CAN...... use it from a tee. albeit a very tiny one, but its a far bettter option thantthe egg.

this is the real real distance deal.

u can be asured this will be a bag spot in sdyney i ndecember for some of the brutes, i gotta play there.

the only posssible contender is the syard 3w with a diamana B80s ..... that might JUST pip the ryoma bec its a bit lower .

well see soon enough.....

i originally tried the f2, and prefered that.

but i thought the f3 might be the pefect foil for "high landings onto far away islands " over bunkers, i cant get the trajectory with my 13* egg.............. if sunday is any indication ive gone the right route

If it's barely deep enough off the tee the the 13* Ryoma is going to obviously be the champ when teeing off over the 15*, but the 15* will definitely be a more versatile club in general because of the softer landings, more control off the deck and just more ease of use in general, considering the 15* is plenty long as it is I would say that for 99.9% of guys it's the better choice, if they were a bit deeper and more practical off the tee rather than just being sort of barely deep enough to tee off with and having to tee it so low that the tee is basically just serving as a more stable base for the ball to rest on, on the ground, then it might be a different story, for me anyway, as I would be more inclined to tee off with it and could shaft it accordingly to give me a bit more ease off the deck.

This one makes it 3, 3 woods that look interesting to try out, the new Egg 15*, the Syard XV 15*, and this Ryoma 15*, having hit the XV 5 wood, the Ryoma and Egg both will have to be beyond excellent to match up to the Syard, I'm certain the XV will feel head and shoulders better than the other 2, the 5 wood is VERY long, I'm sure the 3 wood is as well, the Ryoma will probably be a bit longer, not certain about the new Egg, the original 13* is massively long, longer than anything I've previously hit, but being a 15* I doubt the new model will get the ball quite as far out as the original, ball flight and forgiveness wise remains to be seen, I know I like the XV 5 wood flight, so I'm assuming the 3 wood will be along those lines. I've never really been a huge fan of FW's, but I've hit a bunch lately that have been such a joy that it's sparked my interest in 3 and 5 woods again, the Onoff Type S 14* is a fantastic FW for control but with enough distance and forgiveness to be enjoyable, the XV 5 wood is borderline magical, and the original Egg 13* has been absurdly long and straight for long tight tracks...

I have 3 fairway woods that i Use.

The original Egg is the distance champ and I pretty much use it as my standard FW. Reliable, easy to hit, straight and longggggggg.....

The Ryoma is what I use if I am playing a course where I need the carry. Not as long as the Egg, but it gets up high and gets up quick.

Both these I have found to be not so good off the tee so my 3rd FW is like a rotisserie. At the moment it is the Crazy, tomorrow it may be the Yamaha and then... Well who knows.

I think that after these 2 the rest are all pretty similar. Whatever you like the look of, or the colour of or because it sounds like your first girlfriend.. Not much difference between them.

I did hit the Romaro 3 wood of actiona in Hawaii and it may force me to change my mind. I dont have one.. Yet but am intending to.

To me the original Egg and the Ryoma are standouts, for different reasons, and neither is the perfect all round club.

Well 300 more balls tonight and im close to my best hitting

The 13 deg egg is def the distance champ undisputed

The ryoma is the beter all rounder its easy to hit from a tee but it does go very high

The yamahaa and the tour edge exotics aee much better tee options

But this is about being loooooooonnnnnnnnngggggggg

The egg and the ryoma are both bagged for different tracks

Id.never take the ryoma out in hawaii and theees no point.with the egg here in japan

Loving both long.may they reign!

I'm looking for a new 3 wood but it has to be something that is both good off the tee and fairway. My home course is fairly tight and there are a few holes where the 3 wood is the choice off the tee. I am finding that I would like a little more distance in theses cases than my current 3 wood gives me. It seems that the Ryoma and Egg are great off the fairway but are not the preferred choice off the tee.

So what are the best distance options for play off the tee and the fairway??

It took more than four years for me to find a 3-wd that kicked the one I was using out of my bag. The S-Yard XV is the magic in the 3-wd that the XV-5 is for a 5-wd. Long, penetrating, tight lasers. Slightly lower trajectory than the 5 and considerably more roll out.

Egg HD and the XV are in the final stages of a major battle. They are both very similar for me in performance. The Egg is just a bit more forgiving but I like looking

down at the XV much better. If I were to catch the sweet spot everytime it would be XV hands down

Hated the Ryoma. The huge (long) face and upright lie was the killer. When I soled the club the heel was on the ground and the toe about an inch

off the ground. I couldn't get under it. I'm really surprised more people haven't had this problem with it. I'm not that short but I do have my hands

very low.

Egg HD and the XV are in the final stages of a major battle. They are both very similar for me in performance. The Egg is just a bit more forgiving but I like looking

down at the XV much better. If I were to catch the sweet spot everytime it would be XV hands down

Hated the Ryoma. The huge (long) face and upright lie was the killer. When I soled the club the heel was on the ground and the toe about an inch

off the ground. I couldn't get under it. I'm really surprised more people haven't had this problem with it. I'm not that short but I do have my hands

very low.

I have that issue often and with quite a few different woods and utilities, I'm pretty tall at 6'1 but I also have long arms and my hands sit quite low, normally playing them a touch shorter helps a bit, but there's occasionally the case with certain woods and utes where no matter what I try, unless I can bend the lie flatter, I won't be able to make ideal contact because of angle the club sits at.

I didn't care for the Ryoma either -- based on sound and feel. Compared to the warm satisfying "thwack" of the XV, the Ryoma was, for me, a cold steely clank. No comparison on ball speed coming off the face either for carry and roll.

Over the past 12 months I have had the 2nd Gen Egg, Syard XV FW, Ryoma F3 FW and the New Egg 15 FW, in my bag at one time or another.

Distance wise the XV and New Egg were champs for me. As far as ease of use, both eggs and the XV were very good. From the turf the new egg gives me the most confidence as it is very forgiving and makes solid contact almost every time. The XV is good from the turf but excels from the tee box especially on those short par 4's. The Ryoma is a nice looking club but the others listed bested it in every category in my case. The New Egg is the only one still in the bag. When it came down to it I found that the new egg worked in all the situations I needed it to without compromise. A few weeks ago I used it instead of my driver off all the par 4 and 5's. The damn thing performed very well, great distance low ball flight. The XV I did end up letting go to another member here, but I may end up regretting that move, since it was a very nice club.

Interesting to read about the heads, but surely the shafts make a difference too? Would be interested to hear what shafts are being used.

I game an Epon 3wood (HT) - awesome kit and LONGGGGG - currently have crazy FW shaft in it. Gonna swap the shaft out and try diamana X driver shaft in it - will let you know how I get on.

Well, I have recently purchased a Ryoma F-3 and F-5.The first day I tried them I truly wanted to through them away because of feeling and sound.................now I got used to and all I can say is that I think I will never, ever change them with anything else. They are so easy to hit, and certainly long. I love them, can hit with extreme confidence and the ball flight is damn straight. Cant go wrong with Ryoma FW. Sound, feel and size? I promise that almost everybody would get used to in exchange for forgiveness and distance!

Interesting to read about the heads, but surely the shafts make a difference too? Would be interested to hear what shafts are being used.

I game an Epon 3wood (HT) - awesome kit and LONGGGGG - currently have crazy FW shaft in it. Gonna swap the shaft out and try diamana X driver shaft in it - will let you know how I get on.

Shaft definitely play a huge factor in performance, but some heads are just better suited in certain respect regardless of the shaft. The XV is massively long, I played a few rounds with the stock shaft before I had it rebuild, tuned, tweaked, etc. it was definitely to soft and my ball flight was quite a bit right to left, but it was still extremely long, and the head still felt lovely, even with the more pronounced draw then I wanted, it was still pretty accurate and I have to give it to Syard not only for making a ridiculous head, but for pairing it with an excellent and pretty stable stock shaft that should suit ALOT of people. The original Egg 13* is just plain and simple the longest 3 metal around, from what ive seen anyway, it's useless off the tee, it's a pretty low flight that's difficult to land soft or be very precise with, and the feel.... leaves alot to be desired... but for out and out crazy distance, for long par 5's where your not so much worried about hitting a precise target, but for swinging away and just getting there, it's the best there is. I swore by an older Epon Technity 3 wood for a while, it was good, it felt nice, it was dead neutral, very easy to move about and was fairly long, it broke a little while back, and that started my recent hunt for FW's, as far as something more in the class of the Technity I was playing, I got the Onoff Type S 14*, it's everything the Epon was, but it does it just a bit better, it's longer, feel wise it's hotter but still soft and muted enough for me to really enjoy the feel, just as neutral, just as easy to move about, and slightly more forgiving, a definite improvement for me personally. Shaft wise, all of my FW's get either a Diamana B 80S or a Stinger 70X, the B is almost a perfect production 3 wood shaft IMO, the Stinger feels a a bit nice and performs slightly differently, but on the same level which is optimal for me, the 80 gram weight class of the B is great because in anything but a 3 wood i definitely need the extra weight, even in a 3 wood the extra weight is nice, that's definitely something the B has over the Stinger, the extra weight in the 80, but for a 3 wood, for me personally, the 70 X in the Stinger is heavy enough to perform just as well as the B80. Have tried tons of other shafts in FW's, but those are the big time standouts lately, the Diamana X is very good for a bit of a lower flight and accuracy for guys with the club head speed to make it work, the GD P9003x is also an excellent choice for a FW, and it'll take WHATEVER you can throw at it and ask for more, the Quadra FEX 75SX is another excellent shaft, not quite as demanding as the P9 or the Diamana X, but it still can handle just about anything and it gives you excellent accuracy and ball flight, very neutral and mid.

sensational.........

gamed the ryoma f3 /GDp9903x sunday.

also needs to be said i had my best game of the year as well. hit about 4 non good shots all round.

had 3 match shots onto the par 5s with it. one from front edge of a fairway bunker to 50 yards dead centre of fairway. cleard that FW bunker easily...

one form centre of fairway , prob 260 yards , (with wind) pin high bunker just drifted left. at the death.

one from the rough . aboslutely killed it dead centre of fairway edge of green.

loved this . absolutely love it.. forget what a i said about hte wind. this is terrific in naything.

serious contenter to the egg. juts higher.

ive complete confidence with it in hand. hitting to any kind of target.

its going to oz..!

the crazy 14 and f16 are i n this realm as well.

yesterday there was barely a differnce between the ryoma and f16. the fyoma was higher and easier to hit fro mfairway. and the crazy was a real boring piercing flight, really liking the f -series. surprisingly easy to hit with the shafts ive got in them considering

if u need a compact head then the f series is pristine.

• 1 month later...

Wel. After using the craxy f series in sydney and the eggs

The thinking was there isnt much if any differnce in distance for me. On course.

The egg is of course much higher and a little easier to hit , and when middled properly ,well one shot inparticular at NSW par5 13th into the green for 2 was acareer fw shot im never gonna better that one that forsure. But overall the crazies got by far the most bag time and they were theones easilyleast affected by the elements ,in fact when it was windy and it was pretty much most days they were theonly fw that got the bag look in , either a stong 13.5 deg or the weaker15.5 ,which of the two isprob the best all round. Easily used if froma tee but the 13.5 from atee is adefinate driver replacent thta club is plenty long and plenty strong.

These might not get as much airtime in jpn bec of the flight issues and

LAck of roll,here but for had pancourses these were all that cud be ever needed plus some.

You didn't even bring the XV...?

nope..,

i used that enough here to know what it is like, and i wanted to test the crazies in a solid workout, bec i want bagging them much ere at all , i figured they wud be a perfect aussie build, and i was spot on.

the xv is firmly in bag here for japan, with the ryoma f3 as my fws now. unless its windy the nthe crazzies go back in

think im fw set now

Where does the new Egg rate amongst all of these, particularly for solid feel, forgiveness and accuracy? Not too worried about distance, can choke down on a driver off the tee for that.

thanks

nope..,

i used that enough here to know what it is like, and i wanted to test the crazies in a solid workout, bec i want bagging them much ere at all , i figured they wud be a perfect aussie build, and i was spot on.

the xv is firmly in bag here for japan, with the ryoma f3 as my fws now. unless its windy the nthe crazzies go back in

think im fw set now

no 10.5 3w in oz?