Nead a Damascus custom - Mokume Gane Grains Decided

wmclarenf1

I've been interesting in a Damascus putter for a long time but still haven't find the right person to do it for me, so far Lajosi has been no.1 on the lists while Nead is no.2 so can't wait to hear your review on this.

Nead Damascus and Mokume is one of the best around.... I belive he sources for his materials carefully and one of the more creative (if not the most creative) putter makers around.... Can't wait to see how this turn out !!

Yes you are rambling, you don't even have the putter yet and it's god! ;)

I didn't comment anything about the putter yet? :-)

Just sharing the process and the involvement which is what I value about the custom process. Being able to speak with the maker himself and being able to bounce ideas. Not all custom makers are like that from my growing experience.

A

Your choice of materials looks great. Will be looking forward to the final product.

I know this might be a silly question A but why do you need so many custom putters? Normally it would take awhile to get use to one putter like driver but by that time, a new one is already waiting in the wing to be tamed all over again.

I know this might be a silly question A but why do you need so many custom putters? Normally it would take awhile to get use to one putter like driver but by that time, a new one is already waiting in the wing to be tamed all over again.

R,

Not silly question… Just feel like it and I like the feeling or impression that I am involved in how my putter turns out. It's as close I am going to get to actually using my hands and milling the billet. Maybe its a subconscious thing in me to be a putter maker or race car driver LOL.

As for taming.. not really.. ALL my putters are ansers with full shaft offset. THe style which I find suits my slight arc stroke best. All my putters play to the same length, have the same face loft, lie angle and head weight. This I have found makes going from one as near seamless as possible. I do take your point if I had say a center shaft mallet, then a Zen like putter and Ansers with different lofts, lie, length, head weights etc.. that would require real taming I agree. By keeping all the performance specs and putter style the same for all of mine, I believe, I've eliminated the wildness from putter to putter. That said, although all specs are the same, there is a difference in feel from putter to putter. That I think is down to the different face mills and materials.

There's an ongoing discussion on whether face mill affects roll.. one school says feel only and no effect on roll… the other says it affects feel and roll… I'm starting to lean towards the latter now… but we digress.

So yah… no taming required from me… when I switch putters which is maybe every 2 weeks… I just putt indoors on my mat about 50 times and just to reacquaint with the feel and that's it. No need to adjust ball position, stroke, address position etc due to the fact that all performance specs are the same.

Edited by wmclarenf1

OK perhaps its a smart thing to do to have consistent spec with all different makes. Just trying my hand now on a centre shaft straight putter which is quite different that the anser style. A small investment in the Ping Scottsdale Piper C which requires a straight back and thru style. Jury is still out whether I can consistently use this style of putting.

Totally agree with Graig, I've more than 10 customs putter and I can't stop buying it.

Do you know what combination of steels are in the Damascus he is using? I've been looking into having a damascus putter made too but not sure what kind of damascus would be best for etching contrast but also feel and durability. There are several kinds using different combos of stainless steels, carbon steels and nickel.

• 2 weeks later...