The 3 best cameras on the market IMO

Basically 5DIII - perhaps the better "camera". D800E - the far superior sensor (sony sensor).

I do get your point, maybe a better question I should have asked earlier in the thread would have been a nice quality camera that a beginner who could/would take lessons and not out grow the initial purchase and could work his way into optimizing the camera that he purchased originally, if that makes any sense?

But then again that contradicts your point about a beginner buying a set of blades....

For beginners I'd still reccomend selecting a top quality body. The selection of which body is more a matter of taste and preference, but that is in your hands. I myself chose a Nikon because of the reputed durability in abusive conditions such as way off road. Cannon appears to have a greater selection of super zooms, which are just about a necessity for sports, though I like them for portraits provided you have the room. Other brands have a reputation for the quality of their lenses. Good quality lenses are a must if you're going to shoot into the shade on a bright sun shiny day or do low light shoots, micro or action shoots. Fact is, access to good quality lenses allows a tremendous amount of flexibility as to the type of shooting you can try, a top quality body will serve and endure your mistakes as well as allow you to grow as your ambitions increase.

Shambles.

I love this, Just like golf it can go all directions and never end. It's such a matter of taste.

Im a very amateur photographer myself I own the A7R, 5D MKIII, X100S, RX100 and a bunch of lenses and adapters. I have shot with and rented the D800, D800E, and the new DF with various lenses as well.

If I were to buy any Nikon right now it would be the DF. My second choice would be the standard D800. It makes no sense for me to go with the E as I already own that sensor in the A7R.

It's too close to call. The D800 has a unique sharpness and is technically better specs while the 5DMKIII is just an overall a better shooting experience imo, You will get amazing quality imagery with both but most important is you get the shot in focus period. In low light the canon focus begins to pull from the Nikon, also the amount of noise in the photos. I've experienced it first hand. If I didn't have the A7R I would lust for the 800 & 800E though.

And Here's a big one man, The 5D MKIII has the very stable and free magic lantern hack, It makes it capable of shooting RAW Video! Silent shooting, many cool features that Nikon will NEVER have. The 5D MKIII is superior in video stock, add the Magic Lantern hack and your competing with RED like what they filmed the hobbit in. If your going to shoot video it's an easy decision. MKIII all day. Also canon in 2014 is being called the year of the lenses. I'm very excited for the 24-70 F2.8L IS.

5DMKIII

16-35 f2.8L

24-70 f2.8L

70-200 f2.8L IS

If you shoot Video the 50 1.2L (It's what I used to shoot the Sasaya interview.)

Outside of all that pretty much everyone agree's that the newest game changers are the A7R & Nikon DF. The A7R is not forgiving when it comes to focus but when it does hit, you get D800E or better performance.

MKIII vs D800 ( I like Kai's reviews because he is real world, not a specs junkie. following specs will drive you nuts! )

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jKspoynL0o?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jKspoynL0o?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Chris,

your last post is exactly what i was looking for, thank you very very much, I do appreciate it.

so the sony a7r and the nikon d800e both use the same internals? who are they actually made by though(the sensors/internals that is)?

the nikon DF differs from the d800/800e in which ways?

finally you are correct with specs, they just turn my brain to mush.....

Sony makes both sensors inside the D800/E and A7R

Also the DF is smaller (not as small as A7R) it has cool retro styling but best part is it has the same sensor as Nikons flagship D4 inside.

While your at it pick up the new Mac Pro bump it up to 12 cores and get a couple of those 30" 4K monitors that Apple is selling made by Sharp ;)

I've had the A7R since it's release a few weeks ago. The performance is staggering for it's size. Some of the tests being done are showing it to be superior in dynamic range & sharpness to even the D800E even when using an adapter and other brands lenses. Here are some pictures I took recently, take note of the colors & sharpness of these images.

Also another review talking about the numbers behind the image quality with other brands lenses, the numbers are simply bonkers compared to the rest: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/12/sony-a7r-a-rising-tide-lifts-all-the-boats

gallery_18_5_479708.jpg

gallery_18_5_654921.jpg

gallery_18_5_361919.jpg

gallery_18_5_175900.jpg

gallery_18_5_532163.jpg

gallery_18_5_106229.jpg

gallery_18_5_153642.jpg

Very impressive IQ!

• 1 month later...

Noobie question; am I going to see better quality pictures and slo-mo video with a older csc camera (Samsung NX200/Panasonic Lumix GF2 etc) compared to a new compact (Sony HX50v etc.)? I need the camera for portraits/family/weddings and HD video slo-mo for golf.

Cant compare with the all high end mentioned, thoseare simpy great! ... bt if y guy allow me;; for movies & action & sports ... I kinda like my GoPro Hero 3+ Sivler Edition.

Btw the history behind the brand is really cool:

• 6 months later...

I got a Sony RX100 ll based on your recommendations, I love this camera. It's more than I need but takes great pictures, it easy to use and small enough to schlep anywhere. I even took it zip lining. Thanks

I got a Sony RX100 ll based on your recommendations, I love this camera. It's more than I need but takes great pictures, it easy to use and small enough to schlep anywhere. I even took it zip lining. Thanks

Amazing Camera and a good price too! Congrats!

Rx100III is available now, too.

What do you think between the rx100 mk2/3 or the Ricoh GR. The Fuji x20 was on my list also but its not quite on the level as the other two and the x100s is too large. Any thoughts?

I was thinking of the Fuji or Ricoh for more pronounced colors over the Sony. I think I've added the Fuji x100s back in also. Size wise the Sony is great.

100s or the old one. 100s is a different animal. The xt1 looks nice, big camera though. The more I dig into the Ricoh GR the more I like it.

The mkii is showing better image quality than the mkiii due to increased noise on the iii.