what wedges are good for my bag

Rablak

Hello all, I am wondering if anybody has a 47deg PW and then has made their next wedge a 51deg PW and then added a 55deg with 10 bounce for the bunker shot and a 60deg wedge with 6 bounce for around the green and short chip shot.

I have 2 wedge heads and was wondering if doing this would be a good thing or a bad thing to get the third wedge, the shaft and swing weight ect would be the same in the second pitching wedge.

If you have done this or got any ideas let me know,,,

Thanks in advance.

Hi there.

Sounds like a good gapping. My 2 sets * 46 - 50 - 55 -59 then 48 - 53 - 59.

Most can be bent loft wise but just be weary of bounce changes. What do you have right now?

I got Mizuno 50/8 & 54/10 & 60/6 and have a couple of Geotech wedge heads I won, and was going to make the third wedge out of an af302 epon to suit my current pw with good gaps between for distances.

302s pw is 46? Sounds like loft of your mizzies 50, 54 (maybe bend to 55 to increase bounce) & 60 is a good fit.

Another set I played with a 46pw is 51/57 set.

what do u think about the second pw being fitted in with the other 2 wedges

Like a 302 pw bent to 51?

Dude, it can be done but the playability factor..

Gap your wedges by distance, not loft. Some wedges nowadays may say 46*, but with a really low CG may play more like 48* on full shots. Get your yardages down and try to gap each wedge 12-15 yards on full shots, regardless of the number on the bottom. I see guys all the time get obsessed with 4* or 5* between wedges, then have crazy distance gaps.

so by playability you mean the bounce would be increased substantially and make the wedge almost unplayable. I am also a digger when I hit a wedge shot so the extra bounce would be bad for my swing type, is this correct.

Thanks for the comments guys,

I have 6 wedges 48 50 53 56 58 60 and I normally pick combination of 3 depend on the course I played and what kind of shot I feel like playing on that day.

• 5 months later...

hello people, the 50 DGree epon PW I had made is working very well, I can full shot it 10m less than the standard PW and when chipping and running around the greens I have no problem with the bounce causing any thin shots / gutsing the ball.

If you want to give this a try I think it is worth it,

"gutsing" the ball? What does that mean? Never heard of that, an Aussie term?