Epon SUS316 irons?

Mjr. D

How do they feel? Ever hit the 302s? Comparison if so, please and thank you.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 302, but haven't tried the 316 yet, still thinking about the shaft. but I'd think they are equally as soft if not even softer.

Plated is the way to go.

I have a 7 iron i have hit on the range several times and

The sole is showing signs of wear. Its normal for a raw unplated head.

As for feel im not that sensitive to be honest.

Edited by Spoon

Having hit both plated and raw, I prefer the feel of raw but what I noticed reflects what Spoon is saying that the raw marks up easier. Without a doubt it dings fairly easily so they may not be the choice if you know you will resell in the future. The plated version is more durable but imo wears slightly easier than other plated S20C irons.

So does the SUS316 actually feel softer than S20C, well this iron vs the AF302 in the first couple of shots I noticed that the 316 felt softer at impact. So Yes I think so.

I've heard it has a bigger sweet spot but what I experienced was the 302 is noticeably more forgiving.

IMO The AF302 is a players cavity and the 316 is nearly a muscle cavity which makes it unique because most muscle cavities don't feel this soft.

To give you an idea of feel my first thought was the feel at impact of the plated 316 somewhat reminds me of the ONOFF forged/Srixon 725CB...

So If I wasn't a stickler on looks & resale I would personally get the raw. But I am so I got the plated.

My set arrived, 4-p no plating, (I wanted the plating ones, my friend got it wrong...). thinner than the 302, but bigger sweat spot. low quality control this time, paint on 7iron does not meet epon standard... checked my friends set too, same problem.

from my understanding, the no plating ones(400set darker finish), will be easily scracthed due to its material, but looks unique and have even softer feel.

the plating ones(100set) have the same finish as standard af302.

correct me if wrong!

Just received mine back from the fitters, no problems with quality control whatsoever which is what you can take for granted with Epon.

Interesting they don't say Forged by Endo...

Perhaps they're listening.....

less offset

thinner top line

less script/clutter - cleaner look

These are forged in Taiwan, right?

Don't believe Endo has a foundry in Taiwan but a lot of clubs for the global market were assembled in Taiwan. Of course unless Epon is out sourcing it's forging now.

I think it does.. not all but some.. and to Thailand where they have a plant of sorts there as well.

Thailand is a full fledge Endo factory. My Titlleist vg3 was Endo forged but from the Thailand plant.

The Japanese guy I spoke to at the Endo booth at the PGA show in Florida a few weeks ago brought the heads from, and is stationed in Taiwan. I didn't ask him where they were made, but I guess I should have. So, I don't know for sure. He kind of whispered it to me that he was working in Taiwan and didn't seem happy about it, so I left it at that.

Edited by myswing

Global agent for Epon is out of Taiwan but club heads probably forged elsewhere.

You spoke to Taka-san who as duffer mentioned is the international agent for Epon but based in Taiwan.

I doubt he sounded unhappy about being in Taiwan as he loves it there and when I saw him in Taiwan just a few months ago he was very happy.

Endo has NO foundry in Taiwan.

Perhaps they're listening.....

less offset

thinner top line

less script/clutter - cleaner look

That's awesome.

Now if only Miura Giken would get rid of the essay on the back of their irons...

Edited by Kamen

These SUS316, now only if they could come in that beautiful copper finish (since I lived under a USDM rock since last year) that I have seen on Spoon's older AF-302s :) The looks of these are growing on my as well...

No doubt Epon could do the copper chrome plating... But whether they would is another matter. :atsg_smilie_punch:

Seems a little odd to plate stainless steel in the first place.

I wish someone would find a way to make a wear resistant black finish......Even the highly touted black boron finish by miura doesn't last long, but it is a sight to behold when new !!! There must be a way to fuse a black finish into the metal so that it wears black throughout. A Epon with a black finish would be a dream but unfortunately that is not possible, but copper af302s is not too bad a compromise