TRPX Driver : comparing numbers

Shankopotamus

Guys, I received my new TRPX S driver a couple of weeks ago through Tario and TSG. I would just like some of your guys input on the numbers that I'm getting with this driver.

First of all, my previous gamer is a Titleist 913 D2, 10.5° with a regular flex Kai'li shaft. My numbers on a Flightscope machine where 13.5° of launch, with 2900 rpm's of backspin. I was carrying about 220 with an additional 15 to 20 yards of roll, which yielded 240 yard drives on average.

My numbers with a 10° TRPX S driver with a stiff-regular 1st Messenger shaft are: 9.5° of launch, with 2000 rpm's of backspin. I carry this combo 228 yards with nearly 30 yards of roll and reach almost 260 average tee shots. These numbers tell me how extremely hot this face actually is. For my 93-95 mph SS, 9.5° of launch is pretty low, but at the same time a 228 yard carry is very long for that low of a launch angle.

Having said that, I am wondering if a 11° head would help me increase my driving distance even more by increasing my launch angle. I feel like a launch angle of under 10° is just too low for my swing speed.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Shankopotamus

i agree with you, the launch angle seems a bit low but i am a fan of the face forward CG with very high launch and low spin ! I think it depends on the courses you play and how deep the rough is and how fast the fairways are ! I would much prefer a 240 yard carry with 10 yards of roll than 225 carry and 30 yards of roll.

If the 11 degree will net u another 12 yards of carry, it might be the right way to go....the higher launch may improve accuracy as well but if the courses you play are windy, the 10 deg may be the way to go. In my experiences i have noticed however that as you get more and more practice with a club, the launch gets higher eventually. We tend to it drivers on the thin side when we first get them but when we gain experience, we can hit it on the higher part of the face and this results in a higher launch angle as well.

Did it register ball speed & smash?

Should try during practice round, mark same balls & hit with both drivers. 9.5 launch @2k rpm is fairly low & with that rpm, I would think low, less carry but longer roll. Real world results could tell you a different story than LMs.

Your trajectory is pretty low, Imagine that spin rate with something around 11-12*.

How does the shaft feel throughout the swing for you? Is it loading and un loading nicely or do you not notice much?

gear wise there are a few ways to go about this, changing to a higher loft or the S-013 head, re shafting it, or one could add heavier crazy weights hoping that makes the shaft play kickier.

Also LM can be deceiving because many swing differently on the LM than on the course. It's your on course swing that matters most not sure if that's what your doing. Obviously tee'ing it up more and catching it on the ups but I'm not sure if thats your natural tendency.

Did it register ball speed & smash?

Should try during practice round, mark same balls & hit with both drivers. 9.5 launch @2k rpm is fairly low & with that rpm, I would think low, less carry but longer roll. Real world results could tell you a different story than LMs.

Well that's how hot this face is. Lower launch and lower spin, but still longer average carry. I should be more specific with my SS, too. With the Titleist, my SS is 91.8 mph and 135mph ball speed. With the TRPX, my SS is 95.5 and 142.

In course is def the most reliable, but I'm still thinking a little more carry would be possible with higher launch.

Shank, 260 yards consistent average distance is very good for a 93-95mph swing speed.

Yes, it is. I've never hit 255-260 regularly. However, I do know the limitations of indoor launch monitors. Some are better than others, but I'm going to keep the 10 degree head until I can get out to the course and test it out, but I have the feeling this head just launches a touch low for my natural swing. The shaft has a kick at impact I've never felt before. Not a whippy kick. It's hard to explain for me as I've never felt something like this before. But one I know for sure is this S-013 is the hottest conforming driver I've ever hit. If you're reading this post and have never tried a TRPX driver, contact Tario and buy one...today! ?

My best driving rounds have come with the D-013 w/messenger combo. The messenger shaft is my favorite, it plays just a tad softer than most stiffs which is a very good thing because it's stable.

I made this mistake of going the 44" route as I posted in a previous thread. It really changed the way the driver played for me even though I kept the same swing weight with the weight kit. When I get back from Asia i'm putting in a 45.5" in both my Ryoma Maxima & D-013.

Good news guys, Yesterday we met with TRPX brass and they agree'd to make the heads 200g for us with no up charge or internal weighting. So no need to buy the Crazy Weight kit unless you want a stupidly heavy weight.

I just got back from another session on the monitor. Much different than my previous one. My launch angle averaged 12.2° today. I think Robby was right in that I just needed some more swings with this driver/shaft combo to get used to how it loads, how it releases, also the slightly higher swingweight of this club than my previous gamer. My overall distance was actually the same, more or less, just the trajectory and carry versus roll distances were a little bit different: more carry and slightly less roll today. This driver is pretty much perfect.

Shank,

Not sure about temperatures, weather etc where you are at but if you can get out on course, what happens there is what really matters. LM numbers are but that, numbers. Of course, if you're still snowed out and suffering from cabin fever, I can see how this provides relief :-)

I put a Messenger in my Crazy 435. Don't know what the launch angle, spin and all those numbers are… Via my highly scientific and high tech 200 degree prescription glasses, I can tell you it flies lower than with the TJ46 though.. Seems to carry less and rolls more and overall consistent distance seems at least as good and probably slightly better. That's all that matters for ME. Was I launching and spinning too high with the TJ46 or am I launching too low and can have better carry with the Messenger? Maybe, maybe not… whichever gives me better overall consistent distance on course is what matters.

Just my 1 cent VAT included and of course, to each his own.

• 5 months later...

Just had my 3rd hit out with my TRPX D-103 10° the other day. I fitted mine up with a Quadra Fire Express TP-V 65 SR. Playing length is 45", swing weight D5.

I've been swinging every thing in the bag terrible atm so it's hard getting a real good gauge on how any thing new goes but there are a few things I have noticed.

Ball flight on the high side but is strong and penetrating, haven't seen one balloon at this stage.

As bad as I'm swing every thing this is going very straight and doesn't deviate much from the line I start them on.

I like the solid sound it makes. Hard to describe, it's not tinny and it's not muted.

My USD Jets Speed and SLDR 460 is longer on well struck hits but the TRPX is so much more consistent in it's length.

The big thing I've noticed is that all my hits have come from the middle section. A few have been up and down on the face but all have come from the middle. Can't say I've seen that with other drivers I own after 3 rounds.

Pity these don't have adjustable tips/sleeves as I would really like to hit it in 9° after seeing how high I hit the 10°. Too expensive an exercise to buy another head.

Just had my 3rd hit out with my TRPX D-103 10° the other day. I fitted mine up with a Quadra Fire Express TP-V 65 SR. Playing length is 45", swing weight D5.

I've been swinging every thing in the bag terrible atm so it's hard getting a real good gauge on how any thing new goes but there are a few things I have noticed.

Ball flight on the high side but is strong and penetrating, haven't seen one balloon at this stage.

As bad as I'm swing every thing this is going very straight and doesn't deviate much from the line I start them on.

I like the solid sound it makes. Hard to describe, it's not tinny and it's not muted.

My USD Jets Speed and SLDR 460 is longer on well struck hits but the TRPX is so much more consistent in it's length.

The big thing I've noticed is that all my hits have come from the middle section. A few have been up and down on the face but all have come from the middle. Can't say I've seen that with other drivers I own after 3 rounds.

Pity these don't have adjustable tips/sleeves as I would really like to hit it in 9° after seeing how high I hit the 10°. Too expensive an exercise to buy another head.

Glad your enjoying your driver and especially the Quadra TPV many of our aggressive swingers are loving this shaft.

I agree, the sound is definitely unique...sounds amazing to me! It just sounds super strong and has this really nice crunch to it, it's like music to my ears whenever I tee off with it! =)

I've got a Diamana X 70s in my D-103 10* and it launches slightly on the higher side but very strong and piercing flight. I get a very nice roll out w/ this combo and it holds up tremendously in the wind.

Overall a great fairway finder and perfect candidate when you need confidence in your driver, especially when your swing isn't 100% tuned to your liking.

The head performed pretty well but I could not for the life of me get past the sound and feel. Just put the Messenger shaft on a RomaRo LX 455 head and waiting to give it a rip.

I just cannot play an aluminum baseball bat on the golf course. Had both the D and S at one time but couldn't take the sound and feel notwithstanding how well the heads perform. Its really a personal thing. There are those who wouldn't mind the sound of the original EMB either.

Another good day swinging it a bit better than of late and no wind to content with.

Most consistent driving day for about 6 months. 73% effective drives. Any thing above 60% is good for me.

Loving the D-103 Quadra combo, just need to find a second hand 9 degree head or raise the funds to get a new one so I can get that ball flight down a touch. The only negative is it's a bit on the high side.

• 2 weeks later...

You're not alone, Duffer! The sound of metal baseball bat is quite bothersome, though the hang time (S-013) is amazing. My RF800 is much louder but at least it sounds more like " golf " ! Anyway, I think matching the right shaft is more critical than the head itself.