Yamaha RMX Tour MB review

RLL33

As 2014 approached, it was the first time in a few years I had to face abandoning my Miura CB301's for a new set of irons -- not because I particularly wanted to, but because I had to admit the Miuras were showing their age. So I conferred with Tario, Chris, and Tatsuro about the new Yamaha RMX Tours, and we talked about both the cavity backs and the muscle backs. I had tried the S-Yard GTX's, and although I really liked the feel, I found them a little thick at address for my eye, especially in the top line. I also tried the MG CB1007 (in beautiful black), but I'm not nuts about what seems to be this year's use of swirls in a lot of the CB designs I've seen...

I was torn between my usual preference for CB's and my attraction to the RMX MB, both because of the look of the Yamaha MB design and my desire to narrow in on precision this year with my iron shots. Also I believed I had played one of the finest CB's ever made in the 301's -- from pictures I've seen, they were very similar in design to the Miuraism's I saw posted by Craig earlier this year -- and I felt like trying something new.

Chris and Tatsuro gave both the CB's and the MB's a thorough try and were kind enough to share their experiences with me. And as always, Tario helped me zero in on the right shaft fit for my game. I'm a little different from most on that, as I prefer lighter weight shafts that still make the grade on distance and dispersion, and knowing that, Tario helped me select the NS Pro 850's.

And so, I decided to give the MB's a try. And man, am I glad I did! Right out of the box, I posted my two best scores of the year at my club, and I found the MB's to be just what I was looking for. They feel like scalpels precision wise, and I'm actually hitting them farther than I was hitting the Miuras. As Chris and Tatsuro said, they definitely let you know when you miss the sweet spot, but when you hit it... oh, it is sublime! Reminds me of the smile on my face the first time I pured a Miura, but with a little more horsepower behind it. I don't know if it's the small pattern on the face around the grooves, but I definitely feel a nice long contact with the ball on the face, which I've found gives me a great feel for working the ball. On one of the Par 3's at my course, I deliberately hit two shots off the tee with the 7-iron, one a draw and one a fade, and felt like both were available to me with only a subtle change in my release.

In short, the new bag looks set for this year, and it's smiling at me as I post this. (Only thing up for consideration is possibly swapping out the shafts for the MCI's I had Goodsie fit into my other irons...)

The RMX Tours are, as Tario, Chris, and Tatsuro have noted, a pretty special run. And I'm happily in MB territory for the first time with these beauties.

Here's a pic of the bag for those interested:

post-15743-0-05842900-1392744167_thumb.j

Edited by RLL33

Congrats man, were happy your happy. These are the most precise MB I've seen performance wise and I personally like softer shafts on blades for feel and ease of use.

I truly wish I had your ball striking skills then these would be in my bag as well.

Thanks to all three of you for indulging all my questions.

Richard

Glad you found something that works for you. Good luck with the set.

Thanks, Ash. Hope your Florida trip is going well (...and that it's not snowing down there... <g>)