lightweight steel or graphite iron shafts advice please

julescurwen

I went from Nippon 1050 to Aerotech Steelfibers and won't go back. Awesome shafts. I went with the i95's in regular from stiff Nippon's.

I would move the steel to the back up and use graphite as the main set.

Graphite shafts are easier on the joints providing relief for going bodies, like mine.

Ive got i110s in some mp59s. They feel nice. I think i do better with heavier weights though.

I am thinking of moving to Aerotech i110 CW in my set....

Fujikura MCI/80, UST Recoil/60/70/95, and Aerotech Steelfiber/95.

I have them all, they are all good. Although I prefer Fuji MCI by a small margin because of feel, more kick, and the butt is a bit smaller for me - I have a medium size hand. I only noticed the difference in the driving range when I alternate the clubs during practice but when I used it into play hardly see any difference.

I prefer graphite over steel 'cause they are more friendly, and forgiving to the hands/joints.

I agree with Steve, my backup is now a steel shaft which is a Nippon Modus "Blue" installed in my Miura BB 57.

I go with the Fuji MCI's as well. Wonderful feel, agree very precise, and would add very long.

Aren't the Fuji's very light? Like 80G?

Aren't the Fuji's very light? Like 80G?

They have different versions basically anything from 60 to 120 in 10g increments...

well....... the NS 750 wrap tech are a fantasitc set.... also the NS v90 pro , shafts that karie webb uses are sensational

ive built a cpl of guys sets with those i them and they are magnificent. ( yamaha forged and tours )

ive hit them and NO probs with dispersion, the spin was actually good but for em very high flighted. they are light. 92 abd 96 gram from memory

i think lthe v90s pro are prob close to the best set of light shafts ive hit

the wrap tech spun a lot , i was using them in wedges till last year. but found i was getitng abit too much whip.

i was considering tipping them a lot and addign a tip weight to get them a bit more stable

feel wise, oh man.. they are THE best ever

http://www.nipponshaft.co.jp/products/steel/950_02.htm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Guys, needed some advise here. Ive been using KBS C Tapers 120 S for the past 2 years and lovin it until I injured my wrist late last year.

I just started back hitting balls 2 weeks ago and everything went well… hitting my balls straight besides the distance being compromise a lil and thats when I decided to go for a lighter shaft that doesn't put as much stress to my wrist and yet getting back more or less the same distance I used to have. So last week I went to a club fitter and fitted Aerotech "J" series (apparently this model only caters for asian market) which the model I went for is J88 (92 gm) since Ive read so many good reviews on the "i" series Steelfiber. Finally got my clubs today and oh boy … due to the fact that my club is so light (28 gm diff) , I lost all my tempo .. hitting fat shots , thin shots , shanks .. and when i do get a clean shot .. the ball just balloon up and not only i don't get the distance i was expecting .. i was losing distance. For ex. I was hitting 8 iron with C Tapers before injury approx 135 - 140 m .. after injury with same shaft approx 125 - 130 m. Now with the Aerotech, furthest i went is 110 m. So question is whether its the shaft ? (being too light) or the club fitter who fits my club? Should I go back to my old shaft ? Or should I go for the C Taper Lite which is 105gm ?

I'm all over the place with light shafts too and prefer heavier with a D4/5 swingweight for tempo reasons. I'm not sure if over time one will gain their tempo back but I just couldn't wait that long.