OK all you experts help me with the following...

dodge

I have a 8.5* J340 that I like and don't want to get rid of. Rather I'm wondering if I change shafts will I be able to improve my performance with this club. Specifically, trying to get launch angle and spin down. I have a Pro95 S flex - 262 CPM's at 44.5inches. Will going to tipper stiff shaft, such as the VTLT, help. If so, I want to stay around the same CPM's, so would I go with an S flex. Or do I just keep it the way it is?

Launch Monitor Data (average)

Ball Speed - 172.3

Launch Angle - 13.41

Spin - 2368

Swing Speed - 120

Smash Factor 1.44

I have a 8.5* J340 that I like and don't want to get rid of.  Rather I'm wondering if I change shafts will I be able to improve my performance with this club.  Specifically, trying to get launch angle and spin down.  I have a Pro95 S flex - 262 CPM's at 44.5inches.  Will going to tipper stiff shaft, such as the VTLT, help.  If so, I want to stay around the same CPM's, so would I go with an S flex.  Or do I just keep it the way it is?

Launch Monitor Data (average)

Ball Speed -       172.3

Launch Angle -   13.41

Spin -                2368

Swing Speed -    120

Smash Factor      1.44

IF I may say so here, Launch angle is probably the only problem you have. At your speed , IMO you need to be around 11*- 12* ideally.

Have you really check the loft of your J340 w/ a proper gauge?

It could be the problem sometimes, The loft of the club isn't true.

However, changing shaft from PRO95 isn't easy task. Pro 95 is already a high kick point shaft. There is a way to install a shaft to manipulate the kick point, but off course we are talking the extreme way of doing it. A lot of touring pro did it and have a lot of success w/ it but for us who have to pay for our own equipment...It's a bit risky if you got the wrong guy to do it.

Again, It might not be the shaft, Probably you need to change the loft.

To bad I haven't seen your swing, I would have a lot to say more.

Good luck!

Joe

joey...

would you agree that perhaps the pro 95 in stiff is a little soft for a 120 mph clubhead speed, unless his tempo is unusually smooth? that would look to me to be solid x range... that might help his launch issue a little right there.

Completely true but at his speed, 13.4* is pretty high. In term of flex is definitely to soft for him, however I don't think just changing to X flex will help him that much, a little yes but not much.

Like I said IMO his ideal is supposed to be around 11 - 12.

If we are talking shaft only here, he need to go w/ a very tip stiff and high kick shaft, however we shouldn't not disregards the feel of the shaft that he likes. From my experiences most people who likes Fuji feel, They got pretty spoil w/ it. No matter how good they hit the other shaft, they kept on saying that it's not like the feel of fuji. This gets worst to a feel players.

Oh 1 more think, He shouldn't be to concern about CPM to much. It's only number and plus one man CPM machine is different than others.

BTW, How are you? it's been a while since the last time we talked. :)

joey...

would you agree that perhaps the pro 95 in stiff is a little soft for a 120 mph clubhead speed, unless his tempo is unusually smooth? that would look to me to be solid x range... that might help his launch issue a little right there.

Completely true but at his speed, 13.4* is pretty high. In term of flex is definitely to soft for him, however I don't think just changing to X flex will help him that much, a little yes but not much.

If we are talking shaft only here, he need to go w/ a very tip stiff and high kick shaft, however we shouldn't not disregards the feel of the shaft that he likes. From my experiences most people who likes Fuji feel, They got pretty spoil w/ it. No matter how good they hit the other shaft, they kept on saying that it's not like the feel of fuji. This gets worst to a feel players.

Oh 1 more think, He shouldn't be to concern about CPM to much. It's only number and plus one man CPM machine is different than others.

i'm doing well, joe - thanks for asking! i have son #2 about ready to bust out, so my play has been curtailed quite a bit. which means i've been tearing apart clubs and re-building them to keep me occupied! i just spined and dowel'd my irons (which had been factory built) and it has made a small world of difference. just love that sound...

hope your recent travels were safe and pleasant - good to see you 'back' and ready for action w/ new shipments and products!

joey...

i'm doing well, joe - thanks for asking! i have son #2 about ready to bust out, so my play has been curtailed quite a bit. which means i've been tearing apart clubs and re-building them to keep me occupied! i just spined and dowel'd my irons (which had been factory built) and it has made a small world of difference. just love that sound...

hope your recent travels were safe and pleasant - good to see you 'back' and ready for action w/ new shipments and products!

Wow! Congratulation!

It's gonna be a hand full for ya now.

That dowel thing is always a winner, isn't it?

Joe

...how was your path? what was the face angle at impact? what ball were you testing with?...as joseph states - the loft of the club will have more of an impact on initial launch than changing one high kick shaft for another at stronger flex or stiffer tip. the vtlt has an obvious stiffer tip than the pro95 - and on paper may lower ballspin by comparison - but the fact that it 'feels' considerably different and will lower the overall weight of your stick, the change may be more of a hinderance than any lower ballspin help...personally, if ballflight is consistent using the 's' flex pro95 - i'd experiment with a different characteristic ball first - if that doesn't do it - i'd next look for a head at a lower measured loft...

e