TourSpecGolfer

TSG 2014: JDM Muscle Back Poll

Top Blade of 2014  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Muscle Back of Late 2013 - 2014?

• Yamaha Tour Model RMX Forged MB
    • Miura Giken MB-5005
    • Yoro Craft Miznuo MP-4
    • Crazy Limited MB
    • Yururi PDG MB
    • Yonex Titanium Hybrid MB
    • Fourteen FH1000 MB
    • Tabuchi Custom Design MB
    • TourStage X-Blade 909 Limited MB
    • Royal Collection Pro-ZX Forged MB
    • Srixon Z925 Forged MB

Figured we could start updating our polls for 2014 as so many new JDM muscle backs have been announced.

We will keep this poll running through out the year updating it as new models are released. If there is an blade that is not on this list that you think should be please share and we will consider adding it. This poll is for late 2013 - 2014 muscle back irons only.

We will be closing the previous years poll now that a new one has been made.

Enjoy!

I honestly don't see how anyone could improve on the TourStage 909. From looks, to performace, to feel, really there is nothing else.

no idea how old 5003 made it there but i gave it my vote :)

Opps! I meant MB-5005.. Updated.

PDG are pretty slick. A little shorter than the 909s, but it is also early in the season so I am a bit weak too.

Really enjoying the RMX Tours, showing me more of what they can do each time I play them. Long, accurate, precise.

PDG are pretty slick. A little shorter than the 909s, but it is also early in the season so I am a bit weak too.

PDG - pretty forgiving with a more hollow soft feel to it I recall.

909s remind me of the Yamaha RMX MB, precise tools that provide immediate feedback.

Please vote in the poll gents.

PDG - pretty forgiving with a more hollow soft feel to it I recall.

909s remind me of the Yamaha RMX MB, precise tools that provide immediate feedback.

Please vote in the poll gents.

I do not think they are forgiving. Might be the most demanding blade I have hit to date. That or TS 905s. Neither have much meat to them. They are more accurate than anything I have hit, but you have to hit them right. First round with them I went 3 under on the par 3s with no putt over 10 feet for birdie. Second round with them, distances were all over the place. 3rd round, consistent distance just 1-1.5 clubs shorter than others. I haven't needed a 9 iron for 125-135 on a calm day in a long time.

A little early in 2014 to vote for the MB of the year.

I do not think they are forgiving. Might be the most demanding blade I have hit to date. That or TS 905s. Neither have much meat to them. They are more accurate than anything I have hit, but you have to hit them right. First round with them I went 3 under on the par 3s with no putt over 10 feet for birdie. Second round with them, distances were all over the place. 3rd round, consistent distance just 1-1.5 clubs shorter than others. I haven't needed a 9 iron for 125-135 on a calm day in a long time.

A little early in 2014 to vote for the MB of the year.

That's interesting feedback, I guess it goes to show we all perceive performance differently.

Tatsuro and I did a lot of testing with the PDG side by side against Yammy, & Miuras with all clubs attached to modus 3 stiff. I play to a 12hcp and tats at scratch. We found them noticeably more forgiving and oddly just as workable. We did notice the distance was shorter than the Yammy but equal to the Miuras.

My feelings might change. As I said those were the first 3 rounds since November for me. Swing is out of step and time off probably playing a role in distance too. But at this point I would push the '13 Yammy as a forgiving blade well before the PDG.

What is your definition of forgiving in this case?

My feelings might change. As I said those were the first 3 rounds since November for me. Swing is out of step and time off probably playing a role in distance too. But at this point I would push the '13 Yammy as a forgiving blade well before the PDG.

What is your definition of forgiving in this case?

There is always two sides for me, actual review days with tats & sometimes a couple other guys and then my own personal play days. I take my own play days with a grain of salt.

when my testers are accurate and well balanced players like tats we get loads of feedback.

For testing I arrive early have my own whirl on the grass range then when the real players arrive I sit down and ask them what to do while asking tons of questions.

I ask how does it feel, look, how's impact? Soft, firm, etc.. What does it compare to then I ask them to work it right and left, miss it all while asking them for input. I always ask them are you sure? If they hesitate I ask them to hit it again. If I don't ask many don't know how to put it in words. They go back and fourth until each find a favorite and can explain why.

PDG is not super compact although the black finish makes it appear almost the same size as the Yamaha. The Yamahas were much more harsh on miss hits reminiscent of the TS909. Harsh on miss hits doesn't have to be a negative, for some it's a big positive.

forgiveness clearly went the way of PDG for everyone. I could not handle the RMX but could game the PDG. When it came to workability PDG was surprisingly more workable, felt softer with a new hollow sensation as well.

More workable does not mean better workability, it means when trying to hit a draw or fade it would move more. Yamahas were clearly for the better more compact with slightly less movement left to right and right to left.

Tighter dispersion, longer, more "pure" when perfectly struck. If you can tame the RMX you will elevate your game as it takes better striking and more focus.

On a side note Golf is so finicky, luck + mental + tech + perception + tons of variables create ones opinion then plaster it on the web and it builds the context true or false.

Tough decisions as always, but 1 stands out above the rest for me. TABUCHI. IMO, he's the best grinder out there at the moment. There are many great feeling and playable MB's, but the custom grinds sets it apart from the rest. They just work. Feel is just as soft as any of its competitors and because of this, it's the best MB I've hit in this line up!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.