Hickory (wood) shaft on modern putter?

chiromikey

Has anyone tried a wooden shaft on a modern putter? I've been fooling around with a Bobby Jones Commemorative putter and I really think I want to try this. Besides looking fantastic in something like a Zen blade, I can't help but think feel, sound, and feedback would be improved. My concerns are more about how the overall weight or weight distribution would differ.

Thoughts???

ive got a callaway hickory stick and its LOVELY feel. the head is mehhhh but hte look of the shaft and tis fele is delightfull im gettign it redone by kari lajossi now ill post pics IF he can get thead off and refinsih it

That's the exact putter I've been playing with that got me wondering! I totally agree with everything you said. To the eye, that head should have no business feeling this good...which led me to believe it's that hickory shaft. So now I'm racking my brain how to get a hickory shaft in my Zen without giving up anything where weight or swingweight are concerned.

Looks like uncut gram weight on these hickory shafts average 115g but they can range from 90-145 due to wood density.

Any Idea on the weight for the stock shaft in the Zen?

FWIW the Callaway Hickory Stick putter shafts are a bored out hickory sheath, with a tubular steel insert. This is how they maintain their straightness, as opposed to full hickory shafts which may warp. This makes the shafts somewhat on the heavy side.

A modern putter head with a hickory shaft is an interesting idea, but may require a creative solution. The head attaches to the hosel with a wrap or something similar, I believe. You might be able to fill the hosel with a wood insert or even epoxy, then use a traditional wrap.

I was drawn to one because I thought it might give a softer or more muted feel, and maybe play a bit more forgiving and shorter since I was struggling with touch. I still game it 100%, since I don't like to change clubs often. Here is a pic, cut down to ~32" and regripped with Bestgrips classic leather.

IMG_0481_zpsb9a856b3.jpg

IMG_0482_zps40d44a04.jpg

I can't be sure but I think I've seen a wood shafted putter of that sort back in the nineties or late eighties. A friend of mine owned it but left it in his bathroom for some time while he tried out other putters. Rather unfortunately, the wood warped and he tossed the putter and I regret that I only heard about it long after it was too late to ask for the putter rather than let it be tossed. It shouldn't be too difficult to fit a new piece of wood to the head and cut, shave and sand to fit. A bit of whipping tied the same way as on the old Drivers and a bit of leather cut and sewn to fit.

Might be a bit time consuming finding the wood weathered correctly, but very possible. I would suggest the shaft be finished with sanding sealer well diluted with laquer thinner brushed or wiped on in many layers until a deep subtle sheen is developed. Much better than gloss to my eyes.

Shambles

• 2 months later...

Looks like uncut gram weight on these hickory shafts average 115g but they can range from 90-145 due to wood density.

Any Idea on the weight for the stock shaft in the Zen?

I just picked some of these with the intention of putting in a KM350. Uncut weight is 125g, compared to 90g or so of a regular steel putter shaft. I'm looking forward to giving this a whirl.

I just picked some of these with the intention of putting in a KM350. Uncut weight is 125g, compared to 90g or so of a regular steel putter shaft. I'm looking forward to giving this a whirl.

Oh man, I can't wait for your feedback!!!

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to this. Put hickory in a KM-350 and put a mid-size Grip Master on it. Had to take the insert down from .370 (belt sander) and put a ferrule upside down. It required sanding of the shaft, and I finished it with low gloss Tung Oil. In all, a fun little (and easy) project.

How does it play? The shaft is a lot heavier and its weight distributed. Overall, it produces a very controllable feel...I likey!

post-15444-0-91873000-1410307910_thumb.j

post-15444-0-79658200-1410307948_thumb.j

post-15444-0-06625600-1410307974_thumb.j

Edited by kaaayelll

Opened up the mail today and look what Kurt surprised me with...and for no good reason I might add! This going to be a fun project, just have to figure out what to put it in. I really want to put this in my Zen but she does me so good I don't want to mess with her. Maybe I'll look for a retro looking blade to go with this.

Thanks brotha and I'll figure out a way to pay it forward!

B4961A9F-3243-4881-817C-73D4FCD7565D_zps

• 8 months later...

Hello

Coming back to this topic , I will receive my zen soon and really want to do this , are you still playing this ?

Foud someone who sells With firm or stiff flex and wondering what would be the best

http://www.antiquehickorygolfclubs.com/proddetail.php?prod=HS001

Next step also , the grip

Stephane

I moved on to some custom putters and actually sold that Miura with hickory. However, I have two more of those KM-350 and two more hickory shafts. :) I really like the hickory shaft. The one you're looking at is pretty pricey, but since it's only one club, not too bad ultimately.