The Lowdown on the Kamui Works KM-200 AIR

gocchin

Yes I'd have to agree with you there. This 800 alpha and the Quelot alpha are something else. We always known this and its crazy that we don't sell more of these especially at $260 bucks.

Anyway no more thread jacking from us, this post is about the Air which I'm still waiting for mine.

1115-03_a.jpg

1115-03_b.jpg

1115-03_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I received my Kamui Air head today it is paired with a messenger 1st shaft. Will be comparing this weekend with the Kamui Nitro Pro head with same TPRX shaft and also with the TPRX D head also with the messenger shaft in it. Looking forward to comparing these three drivers.

Awesome akapur, definitely looking forward to your comments! I love the distance the Nitro produces (wow and it does so with some forgiveness), just not a fan of the feel or sound (both foam and non-foam).

Pulled the trigger with T and picked one of these up as well :) Maybe our reviews will be similar ;)

Looking forward to it.

So three rounds this weekend with this club. Compared with the Kamui Nitro with Messenger 1st shaft and the TPRX D with Messenger 1st shaft.

First round saw the TPRX go against the Air.

Distance was no contest the Air was much longer at least 10 yards further

Consistency was better with the TPRX. Not sure if it was due to the fact that the TPRX was my gamer all last season and I am very comfortable with it.

Ball Flight for the TPRX was a tad higher but the Air had much more roll out

Overall the TPRX performed better but only because i hit more fairways with it

Second Round saw the Air versus the Kamui Nitro

Distance was surprisingly very close maybe a few yards further for the Air( really hard to say there was a clear winner)

Consistency was better for the Nitro because again I hit more fairways with it

Ball flight very similar

Overall the Nitro gave more consistent results and hence it was the winner

Final round only took out the Air. From 13 Tee shots with it I hit only 7 fairways. When I hit the fairways I had great distances some of the longest drives I have hit in the last few years. When I was not on the fairway I was all over the place. Not sure why. May have more to do with my swing then the head. I am definitely going to continue to use it for now.

Will post pics comparing the the three heads

Thanks for the review but I did not notice any WOW factor here.

Thanks A! How was the feel in comparison to the Nitro (assuming foam) and TRPX? Seems that the head has potential! Can't wait till mine arrives...

The feel is better in the TPRX then the nitro. The Nitro foam is a dead feeling with almost no sound, it takes some getting used to. The Air has a nice feel and the sound is a tad pitchy but not bad. the TPRX is the best feel of the three.

Thanks for the review but I did not notice any WOW factor here.

Yes no wow factor for the Air. I did have that with the TPRX since i found it very easy to hit. The Air is nice driver and i think has potential. It could be a very long driver if i can keep it in the fairway.

Feel is definitely subjective but I agree with you Ash that the Air feels better than the Nitro. This is typically the case for all Kamui Works vs Kamui Pro heads. KW typically feels softer, more springy, while KP feels more firm and muted.

There are several factors which affect the direction of the Air vs the both the Nitro and the TRPX.

The Air features a larger gravity angle, which causes the head to rotate square more quickly.

Both the Nitro and TRPX have similar angles which could explain why you are straighter with both of them, as you are more used to the way they square up to the ball.

If you get used to the timing of the Kamui, because its not only about shaft but head design and how it interacts with the shaft, you could potentially see a lot more consistency especially since you are already longer with it.

Feel is definitely subjective but I agree with you Ash that the Air feels better than the Nitro. This is typically the case for all Kamui Works vs Kamui Pro heads. KW typically feels softer, more springy, while KP feels more firm and muted.

There are several factors which affect the direction of the Air vs the both the Nitro and the TRPX.

The Air features a larger gravity angle, which causes the head to rotate square more quickly.

Both the Nitro and TRPX have similar angles which could explain why you are straighter with both of them, as you are more used to the way they square up to the ball.

If you get used to the timing of the Kamui, because its not only about shaft but head design and how it interacts with the shaft, you could potentially see a lot more consistency especially since you are already longer with it.

T I agree with you regarding the timing. It was definitely off for me with the AIR. At first the balls were fading badly, as i attempted to correct it the ball was drawing hard. So i could tell that I need a little more time with it. The TPRX and Nitro are more consistent because I have had many rounds with both and so my swing is set with these two.

The Air has tremendous upside due to the distance and the feel at impact.

In order to better understand the timing of the Air, I would slow your swing down a bit to try and experiment with the way the head meets the ball. You may have been fading badly because the head would close to quickly possibly causing a cut. Even ball placement ie a bit further back in your stance is something worth trying.

In order to better understand the timing of the Air, I would slow your swing down a bit to try and experiment with the way the head meets the ball. You may have been fading badly because the head would close to quickly possibly causing a cut. Even ball placement ie a bit further back in your stance is something worth trying.

T

I am playing Friday and will spend a few extra minutes on the range prior to teeing off and give some time to get the timing right.

Thanks

Two more rounds in this weekend with the Air driver. Took Tario's advise and was able to keep the ball in play more this time around. Feel is very nice, makes good sound on a true hit. Distance is the best part of this driver. I don't believe it is longer then the Maxima G I have, but it maybe close. So far it is not a clear winner over the other drivers I have experimented with this spring, but hopefully i will be able to make a decision soon about if it will remain in the bag over the summer.

Great to hear Ash, it definitely is a great all around driver as it's feel is very good which for many is very important.

nice review and advice!

• 1 month later...

Any more on this air? I'm looking at possibly buying one..

Alas, I can finally chime in!

Just finished building my 10* Air w/ Quadra FEX WBQ 6x (thanks to both michael and noboru), and I have to say I really like it. The combo feels nice and light, but weighs in at a surprising d4. It is a carry monster but haven't gamed it yet so hard to say exactly how the rollout is on a real fairway (I do think that it spins a bit more for me compared to my TRPX D013 w/ Diamana X). Ball flight and results are real nice on the range though, and is really forgiving. Off-center hits don't do much worse than a block fade for me, but without being punished too much on distance. Middle it and...TING....long, straight, high bombs! I'm thinking its going to be the club to bag for tracks that have long carries over hazards or even potentially winter season golf when carry is valued higher than run.

It definitely has a tinny sound and for some that may take some getting used to. I don't love the sound but the feel at impact is nice and explosive, so the upside is better than the downside so far. It's probably the shaft, but this combo seems to be anti-left for me (thanks Stew for the shaft recommendation), so it's either super straight or just a baby fade on most swings. One thing is for sure, it's long and hot off the face!

I haven't hit the other Kamui drivers so can't compare, but it's definitely worth the look if you're looking to put together a nice and forgiving long carry stick!

When I get more course time with it, I'll come back and update. =)

Edited by needmoregolf

That is an awesome setup you have there D! Not sure what will beat your 300 yard bombs with your TRPX/DiamanaX setup but looking forward to seeing the carry you get from the Air!

Thanks Michael, I think both are here to stay. I cranked a couple with the Air at the butt crack of dawn this morning and getting over hazards that are 250+ out are no longer a problem...just need to keep a nice fluid swing and this thing just TIIING!!!

Edited by needmoregolf