Resale value of irons

N.mrkonja

Hi.everyone, I want to buy a new set of irons and I am looking at spending in the neighborhood of 2000 for them. My dilemma is I know all golf clubs are worth hardly anything after you use them and then try to sell them. My question is what irons would hold their resale value the most. That's the ones I want.

Hi.everyone, I want to buy a new set of irons and I am looking at spending in the neighborhood of 2000 for them. My dilemma is I know all golf clubs are worth hardly anything after you use them and then try to sell them. My question is what irons would hold their resale value the most. That's the ones I want.

Epon Personal, 302 Coppers, SUS316, new ONOFF CB358.

Anything super limited will garner more money

Edited by hornyjuan

You should be more focused on what irons fit you better not what will sell for more.

I'm a ten handicap and I'm not getting any younger, ill never make the tour. I'm ok with that. Ill always be a decent golfer and golf clubs are not going to make me a pro I know this, so there's no sense in pretending that some certain clubs will make me scratch. I buy clubs because I like new things. So again if I didn't like them what would bring me the most money back.

I can understand that you always want new stuff so you get rid of the old.

Modart CBC, Epon's, Miura MB5005 with 4 custom grinds & custom finish, A properly designed set of Yoro's, Buchi CB tweaked in black boron or copper finish with a kanji in the cavity.

Secondary market for Modart and buchi might be limited to this forum so more widely known names such as Epon, Miura, onoff and Yamaha would definitely give you a wider market and hopefully better resale. Yoro, as some of the members found out, doesn't hold good resale value.

I am interested in the epon 302 with copper finish. Will this wear off like on irons that are black

I have this set and love them. So far, the finish is holding up, but I have only had them for about 1 1/2 years. I do have a small ding on the 9 iron and you can see the steel underneath. I'm not sure that buying a $3000 set of golf clubs is consistent with the mentality of choosing whatever will hold it's resale value.

The copper finish is extremely durable.....1dirtypanda has a set that has passed through about 10 members and it still looks great....just take a look at his member's bag ! Very little wear

I think I read somewhere that Epon doss not do custom finishes anymore.

haha...yes that part is a bit of a limiting factor ! Epon won't do it anymore but a mint condition set of used epon personals or af302s in satin should hold their value quite nicely.

Stay with the main stream brands and resell value won't drop too much. Avoid custom as much as possible....

Epon will hold value for a long time as long as you sell them before the new model comes out.

Always use headcover as well.

I would stay away from Yam. They release new clubs every year and I took a bath even on their best products like the 2012 tour.

I expect AF302 to take a hit this year.

Limited edition will resale at good value. That's as well part of the reason I bought another set of SUS.

This is interesting, some say custom is harder to sell, others say limited production is important, some say go with popular brands.

I would also add that you as the seller are a big part. If you have a good network of trusted friends on the boards and you have built a name for yourself you will always people to bst with if you keep your clubs in good shape and have fair pricing. If you just pop in to sell then it could be little harder.

Being inside the industry I'll say many brands abuse the term "Limited Edition" and use it as a selling point. If demand is high they often produce more, nearly everything is limited edition in essence anyway. It's like the term "Prototype" they are not "Prototypes".

I think the product must be in demand as well as hard to get. Also very important is how the brand is perceived in the market.

Custom sets are much harder to sell. They were made for you. I would advise against going

this route unless you plan to keep them.

Those that release a new line every year take a pretty good hit as well.

From my experience Epon has had the best resale value. After that the popularity of the clubs

seem to be the driving factor along with limited production.

Brand name recognition is important as well.

Most importantly, golf clubs in general make poor "investments" unless you're buying them to try and

improve your game.

I just wouldn't buy new if your worried about resale.

I am interested in the epon 302 with copper finish. Will this wear off like on irons that are black

The durability of the finish depends on where you play. In AZ the finish on my copper 302's shows premature wear due to the sand content in our soil.