My New Favorite Wedges - Suda Grinds by Modart

I've been addicted to Toyoshima's for a very long time and no matter what comes my way the Toyo's eventually make it's way back into the bag, up until now that is...

Tabuchi-san's wedges I thought were the pinnacle of performance & feel, while they still rank I think another has edged them out.

Suda-san has got my vote for making the #1 Wedge in JDM land. For now... For me... But I know many of you are going to go bonkers over these. Just hit them, that's all i can say.

I ordered a 52/58 combo, they arrived last week, no lofts on them so how can I tell them apart? Easy they both look uniquely different in grind. Grind, this man's got it down totally. For those who don't know who Suda-san is he is the apprentice of grind studio master Tomaru-san and now president of Modart.

Notice the different grind on the two although they are part of one matching set. I love this grind theory because it works for me. It's far easier to get near the pin with the AW than it is the SW and these suckers spin like mad. If you find yourself a gap wedge out often these could help lower your score.

I went with the Modus 3 130g version and they feel excellent. Funny thing about Modus3, everyone wanted it until it became a standard Japanese offering and now it's like meh...

I'm a neck transition geek, I look at wedges differently than most, how the neck and leading edge blend into both sides of the neck is so important It's the first thing I look at to see if the grinder has talent. To me Suda-san is the most talented in this regard.

Don't get me wrong I love the 58* but the 52 is my favorite and perhaps of all time.

If a Toyo wedge had a baby with a Buchi wedge you would get a Suda wedge. Think about that and after you hit one of these tell me if I had it right.

XF5A3431-900x600.jpg

modart-custom-wedges-900x600.jpg

modart-60-top-line-900x600.jpg

modart-grinds-900x600.jpg

modart-golf-900x600.jpg

modart-logo-900x600.jpg

modart-sole-900x600.jpg

modart--900x600.jpg

modart-suda-900x600.jpg

XF5A3419-900x600.jpg

XF5A3420-900x600.jpg

modart-wedges-900x600.jpg

XF5A3443-900x600.jpg

suda-san-wedge-900x600.jpg

XF5A3439-900x600.jpg

Love the clean look. How long did it take to get the wedges done

Just don't want to make any mistake, the 2nd picture is the 52 and 4th pic is the 58?

These are the same one's in the proshop if you were to order 2 wedges: http://www.tourspecgolf.com/modart-custom-grind-wedge

Just don't want to make any mistake, the 2nd picture is the 52 and 4th pic is the 58?

Yes that is correct.

One of my favorite things is the leading edge grind and how it wraps up into the neck. The quality of finish is nearly perfect.

XF5A3360-Edit-900x600.jpg

XF5A3421-900x600.jpg

Suda-san is a pro, as I had posted on the blog he honed his skills at Fourteen grinding for tour pros and under the guidance of Grind Studio's Tomaru-san.

After Tomaru-san left Fourteen, Suda-san was in charge of the MT series wedges which most of us know quite well.

These are also very limited as Suda-san can only grind very few numbers of wedges for retail customers due to his commitments for pros and his travels promoting Modart.

When we discussed making the wedges above, the 53* AW was made with a flatter wider sole to prevent digging and to make it easier to catch the ball cleanly for maximum spin on full shots approaching the green.

The 58 with more bounce and an M style grind allow for more close range finesse shots that require opening the face and working the ball across the face hence the heel and trailing edge relief.

He can basically grind any shape head you like with any type of sole grind.

Read somewhere that the finish is raw brush satin. Would this type of finish rusts easily?

beautiful :tsg_smiley_heart:

Clean and beauty!! T/C do you have any pics of Gun Blue and Plated Satin finish?

Read somewhere that the finish is raw brush satin. Would this type of finish rusts easily?

You have a choice of finishes but plated finishes will cost more.

Raw will rust.

Raw satin and plated satin are very similar looking (before the rust that is!)

can we get a full list of finish options?

It's available in the pro shop.

Anyway there're 4 type of finishing: Raw satin, Plated satin, Black, and Gun Blue.

T now it's clear between raw and plated satin, do you have any pics of Gun Blue finish? And do they offer that finishing in iron set as well?

Gun Blue will wear but it's similar to what over 60% of tour pro's play.

I suggest the plated satin or black boron. black boron is a dark plating that doesn't rust and looks better and more uniform than gun blue this finish has a firmer feel to it.

The plated satin is as the pics show and it feels just right imo. kinda soft w/feedback.

These are handmade to the customers specs even bounce & sole grind. Takes about 6 weeks for a plated wedge, raw 3-4 weeks.

If you don't want to wait we ordered 10 extra sets of 52/58 combo's with Modus 130 (just like set in photos) but even these should go quick. I suggest it like this, I'm blown away at their performance, feel, and feedback.

Very impressed with the work of Modart

I can only tell you that gun blue wears out very quickly and if you live in a humid area, it would rust out in no time. Had a Gold's stage 5 once in gun blue. It was beautiful when new but became a piece of rust metal in a month use.